SRS I'm at a loss..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Zeff, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Zeff

Zeff OT Supporter

Backstory: My parents divorced when I was 5 years old. My mother got custody and we moved across the country. My mother remarried. Through my childhood I would spend my summers with my dad, but as I grew older and started working at 16 I couldn't visit him anymore. After that he basically cut ties with me. I invited him to my highschool graduation and my grandparents (his parents) and his sister came but he didn't.

Flash forward. It has been about 8 years since I've spoken to him. Through out this 8 years I went to college and got my band signed to a major label, our cd is coming out in April. I visited my grandparents over xmas and left them my newest cell number. About 2 weeks later I got a call from my real dad. It was the most akward thing ever. We chatted a little bit about my band and what I was doing with my life. He told me he was sorry that he was an asshole for not talking to me for this long. After that conversation I totally lost it. It was like that gotta cry joke from Dane Cook.

It still feels really weird talking to him. he would like it if I could go see him but right now I'm about to go on a 4 month jaunt with my band. I feel like a vegetable whenever I think about this. I just don't know what to really talk to him about or how to go about mending things.

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Zeff, buddy. If you want to see your dad, then schedule a date after the 4 month thing with your band is over. Spend a weekend over there or something. Not too long, as it is awkward then you don't have to anticipate the day you go home.

Take it easy on yourself.

3. Zeff

Zeff OT Supporter

I'd like to see him, but right now I don't know what the situation will be with the band. We're going to Europe and our management is trying to plan for a shitton of stuff in the fall. I haven't mentioned anything about this to my mom. I have a feeling she will freak out. Their divorce didn't end very well and for years I felt like my dad was a deadbeat that just didn't want to deal with having a child.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You have years to look forward to, man. When your band thing winds down a bit, I'm sure if you wanted to see him, you could figure out some time to do so. Just be patient.