i'm at a loss, my 360 finally took a shit on me v best buy warranty

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by cyclaptor, Jan 29, 2010.

1. cyclaptor

cyclaptor Active Member

after two years of great reliability. in anticipation of mass effect 2, i decided to go ahead and beat the first mass effect. now my 360 has the 2 red overheating rings. damn thing won't stay on more than 2 seconds before the red lights flash. the disk tray was only half way open for me to remove the game.

I bought a 2 year full replacement warranty from best buy. lucky for me i still have two months left on it :hsd: can i just take in the 360 without the hdd, power supply, or av cables :dunno:? will they let me switch out the HDD if the original hdd is needed?

2. Toology

Toology New Member

Just bring in the bare console, keep your HD, and we will give you back whatever you give us for your warranty. (IE bring in just console, we open up a new box, hand u just the console).

In my store we keep the data transfer cables up at customer service and Geek Squad will do a quick transfer if you want the bigger hard drive, we do it free... but this is not a standard BBY policy. But you can ask.

3. OFI

OFI New Member

Two red rings? :confused:

4. cyclaptor

cyclaptor Active Member

apparently that means it's overheating, not a general hardware failure :dunno:

5. phish

phish hockey crew

IBrapedbybestbuy

6. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

take in the power cords and the controller with the system. get a new controller and also new power cord since it likely will be different chipset 360 and not all power cords work.

7. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

Keep the HDD, take in the system controller, AC and AV cables.

The new chipsets have a different power brick and you will nuke your system if you plug it in with the old one.

8. phish

phish hockey crew

They're not going to fully replace your 360 until it shits on you 3 times.

So what they're going to do is attempt to repair it. Most likely you'll get your old 360 back :mamoru:

9. cyclaptor

cyclaptor Active Member

google keeps giving me different answers. apparently i can't just get a new 360 off the shelves anymore, even though that's the kind of warranty i bought

10. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

They have 2 warranty's that you can buy. 1 is full replacement you just bring the console down and they exchange it or 2nd which they send the 360 off for repairs and you pick up your 360 1.5 weeks later :rofl:. Happened to my friend.

11. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

It's called showing up at the customer service desk. They will capitulate rather than risk you making a scene/bad customer service score.

12. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

the nextbox can't come soon enough.

13. Los

Los Active Member

with 100% more faulty hardware!

14. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

You're right, you are at a loss. A financial loss. :mamoru:

15. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

i'm assuming by then they'll just completely scrap backwards compat and redesign so no more failures. But that'll be like 2015

16. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

Go there and try it yourself. I was strongly considering the best replacement possible when I was thinking about a 360.

Some people say they were able to swap it without problems. Others say, they sent their console for repairs.

17. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

BB has sold different plans from what I gather. I got the PRP which supposedly states I can swap it for a new console. I think they sstopped letting you buy PRPs sometime in 08. I too got the 2 year PRP, but have read some horror stories about them honoring it. I'll find out tonight when I go and try and exchange mine. I figured they wouldnt allow me to return it (mine wont read discs) without the hard drive so I backed up my game saves to a memory card and formated the drive last night.

:hsd:

18. vansamirin

vansamirin Active Member

Not with the BB warranty, you get a new one, immediately. At least that's how it was for me.

19. Toology

Toology New Member

this. and i work there... technically, bby policy changed around a year ago for 360s to not do the direct exchange in store... but we still do for most people.

20. Toology

Toology New Member

To clarify to people confused, we changed how we did warranties about a year ago all together. We used to sell PRPs and PSPs. (Replacement, and service respectively). That is not the case anymore, as we sell "Black Tie Protection" now, and it really depends on the class of item if it falls into a PRP or PSP type service now... most high dollar items are sent to service FIRST and then replaced under a no-lemon policy if it cant be fixed at a reasonable cost to us.

But, honestly, just bring your system to the customer service counter, 99% positive they will replace it for you on the spot. If they don't ask to speak to an Operations manager, and i'm 100% sure that he wont want to deal with you and will tell the CS rep to just "take care of him."

21. SilverJettaGLX

Do they actually exchange it, or do they give you a gift card for the purchase price?

22. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I've replaced 2 360s through Best Buy. Both times I took it in and exchanged it for a new one. They checked it to make sure it was really dead, then said "go get a new one off the shelf". Then they pull out the console, and keep whatever you don't give them (cables, controller, hd, whatever).

$60 for 2 years protection on a console with a known failure rate is not a bad deal. Beats having to just eat the cost of a new one.

23. cyclaptor

cyclaptor Active Member

hey thanks man. you put my mind at ease :)

24. SilverJettaGLX

BB swapped mine tonight, no questions asked. And because of the price difference between what the system is now and what I paid, I walked away with a $160 store credit :bowdown:

25. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

older PSUs are forward compatible, but not the other way around.