I'm an Idiot, or am i looking too into this?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by thelasik, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thelasik

thelasik New Member

my triceps have always been painfully lacking. they are decent sized at the top but have never extended all the way down the back side of the arm to give that desired full appearance. i have always trained them hard too with a variety of exercises: dips, overhead cable, cable pull downs, dumbell tricep extension. i started doing weighted dips on a bench and that helped alot but they still didnt extend down.

i feel retarded even typing this, but it never even occurred to me that the 3 different heads had to all be stimulated. i always just viewed the tricep as one homogeneous muscle that was fully worked by whatever exercise. i realized that ive been completely neglecting the long head of the tricep which is obviously why my tricep doesnt extend all the way down my arm as desired. to my understanding, this head is best targeted by close grip bench press and skull crushers? neither of which ive done much of.

or am i looking too deep into this and its all the same shit? (please spare me the "shuttup and lift" BS.)

cliffs: how do you target the long head of the triceps?

2. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i heard overhead stuff works best... but i dunno

and honestly, i wouldn't worry about it if i were you

3. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

pics of triceps? :dunno:

4. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

could just be genetics....

I duno if my tricep extends all the way down to my elbow...(well im sure it does, but in the manner that you speak of)

5. TZ

TZ Banned

close grip bench is one of the best tricep strengthening exercises, imo

6. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

bench pressing does it for me... personally, i'm trying to target the medial head

oh and arms are 17" @ 170 lbs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  7. thelasik

thelasik New Member

yea, i always just figured it was genetics until i did a little bit more reading on the physiology of the tricep.

the only way to describe what i mean, as gay as this sounds, is when your wearing a short sleeved shirt, if you have a decently built tricep, it should usually just fill up the entire sleeve all the way up until right before the elbow. but with my tricep, theres practically nothing almost 1/3 the back side of the arm and only the medial head kinda pokes out through the sleeve. that tells me that the long head is severely lacking and needs to be targeted more somehow.

a quick search on google had many "experts" recommending close grip bench and anything overhead.

this exercise sounded interesting tho i cant figure out what the hell hes saying to do: http://www.larryscott.com/bio/newsletter/97summer_2.cfm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.