I'm always going on about smell and attraction...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by demosnat, Jan 31, 2008.

1. demosnat

demosnat New Member

This came up on digg today, its a pretty good read.
    Paging falconer
    http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22081/42913

I've always been REALLY fascinated by this phenomenon, to the point where, with my first real bf, I actually got off the pill for awhile to see if it affected my attraction to him. It doesn't mention anything about it in this article, but another one I read years ago on the same topic said that marriage counselors often stated that a common complaint they get from women about their husbands is that they just "can't stand his smell anymore" and that a lot of the time this occurs after coming off the pill.

2. Rich

Rich New Member

So all if you want to get a chick, just wear the same cologne her dad wears?

3. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I also find it interesting that its clearly the women picking out men based on smell. Otherwise the pill thing wouldn't come into play, the mans senses would still weed her out, even when her senses were altered.

It really seems to occur in all animals, the females selecting from a group of would be mates displaying their physical properties (bird mating rituals, apes, insects etc)

4. demosnat

demosnat New Member

:rofl: might not be a bad idea.

This is your personal chemical scent. I've actually read that in addition to the pill screwing shit up, the fact that everyone wears so much in the way of deodorant/perfume/lotions/etc that we can't tell what we smell like.

5. Rich

Rich New Member

Very true...

6. Yahdude

Yahdude New Member

I don't wear any cologne or use lotion, only use deodorant and the current SO seems to love the way I smell after a long/sweaty day, and has brought up quite a few times about liking my "smell"

7. ware_ru

ware_ru I know, I know, I'm amazing

:rolleyes: yeah, smell is what attracts women. not game, not looks, not social value, not money. smell. all this time we men thought we were improving our game and thats why our results with women improved. turns out what was relaly hapepnig is that our BO changed. lol. when psychologists start getting laid like rockstars i'll start paying attention

8. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Funny but fairly true. I think that scent may have some subconscious underlying effect, but not nearly enough to consider it a large factor in immediate attraction. Unless the guy/girl, smells really, bad.

9. VibraNation

VibraNation www.VibraNation.com

Women LOVE Aqua Di Gio

10. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

lol girls like my B.O. kuz of the pheremoans. PUA shit is fuckin ghey.

11. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

smell is everything. some guys smell good and some dont. :o

12. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

100% on board for "sometimes its a big deal"

women seem to love the way men smell. Ive heard things like "I slept with the tshirt you left until it didnt smell like you anymore" and other things that strongly indicate its a big deal.

I don't think its quite as major for men, but ive definitely rejected a girl for her smell.

13. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

I would like to see a direct link for credibility, sounds like a lot of rhetoric to me.

14. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

My bf always smells amazing....Then I get creeped out because my dad buys the same cologne. They also have the same birthday, but that's a whole different creepy fact in my head.

15. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Obviously smell isn't what gets you girls. But you have to remember that we are animals and therefore still have some animalistic programming such as smell helping naturally attract women.

Although it would be great if I could just walk up and stick a girls head in my armpit to then bring her home :rofl:

Cool info Demo

16. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

exactly. i've been told by some girls that i have a really good smell. which is funny, because i normally stink :mamoru:

17. iwishyouwerebeer

It's not the end all be all reason women choose men, but I have personally seen women flip out just over a man's cologne. Last weekend a few of my friends were out at a bar and one of my guy friends (who is in no way usually good with women) had bought a new cologne. I had actually been the one who smelled it, said he smelled great asking what cologne it was and he said he'd just started wearing it. Later on a girl who was nearby was by and when she stood next to him I heard her comment on his cologne, but the look on her face was pricless. It was literally as if she were instantly more attracted to him just because of how he smelled.

Shit, I was reading my bf's roommates men's magazine last night and it told the guys to spray a little spritz of their cologne onto her shirt so that she would smell you and it can help turn her on.

18. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

I actually do think this is legit. Not that it CAUSES you to fall in love with someone, but that you associate that smell with the person you love, and that makes you feel good and become more attached to the smell. I do also agree with the smelling of men's cologne being an attaction, because I have seen that happen so so many times.

mmmm I LOVE the way my boyfriend smells...and the way my pillow smells like him for a few days after he leaves.

19. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Well, you have to consider that men evolved to maximize the spread of our genes and we don't have to be pregnant. That significantly alters our primal sexual urges when compared with women.

Cliffs: men evolved to be less picky because we can just pump n' dump

20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Interesting.

21. iwishyouwerebeer

Also, a guys smell has been enough to turn me off to him. Not the obvious BO or whatever, but after dating this guy who wore a certain kind of cologne I met another who wore it and I was immediately turned off to talking to him because of the bullshit I dealt with with the other bf. Even though I loved the smell of cologne it triggered bad memories that I associated automatically to the new guy.

22. ware_ru

ware_ru I know, I know, I'm amazing

Yes. That is the important point here. Olfaction is the most potent sense to anchor feelings and memory. "I slept with your shirt until it stopped smelling like you" is not on the same topic as "smell causes attraction" - the smell REMINDS you of the person, it doesn't CREATE attraction.

That said, yes, obviously as in beer's example, some kickass new cologne and the girl can become (in the wide sense of the word) attracted - intrigued as to what it is and so on. Maybe even actually attracted like she would be for a guy who seems to have a bunch of women around them. But as for it having ANY effect after 5 seconds? Hahahhahaa!

23. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Smell is extremely important to me. A lover's body odor and certain kinds of foot odor and crotch odor (i.e., sweat in general) can be enough to get my hard - or soft.

Perfume and deodorants have a similar effect on me, but not as strongly as the sweat itself. Perfume and deodorants have more of an associative effect: if I associate them with good memories (like the opposite of beer's anecdote) then they can turn me on. By themselves, without memory associations, they are very pleasant and slightly arousing but not as much as natural body odors.

I like to keep scented things around too because they tend to bring back memories more strongly than if I just had to resort to my thoughts and didn't have the external trigger of odor.

24. NCS

NCS Active Member

glad to finally see some real info about this :)

25. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

My gf says she loves the way I smell (she'll say this when I'm not wearing deodorant or cologne or anything). :bigthumb:

I hope it's not her bc talking :noes: