I'm about to throw computer out window!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by V-Viper, Nov 29, 2005.

1. V-Viper

V-Viper New Member

AArrgg.. ok where do I start.. about a year ago my computer just stoped working. It would not boot up at all. So I got a new power supply...that did not fix it, got new memory..nope.. got new MOTHERBOARD nope..got new CPU that doesnt do it either! After trying to fix this I pretty much give up on it.

So here I am today. I want to fix this damn thing. I just got a new full-tower case, which came with a new power switch. Ok so I hook up my new Intel motherboard and 3.2ghz/800mhz P4, connect the PS to it put video card in and a memory stick.. press power button... NOTHING!

The only thing I still have from the orignal computer that kicked the can is the ATI 9700 video card. Do I need this to boot up the computer?

-I tried moving the power switch around, I have it in the right pins.
    -I tried turning it on without any ram (it should boot up but just beep twice right?)
    -I tried booting it up with no video card
    -I tried booting it up with 2 different MBs and CPUs
    -LED on MB lights up green

Here is the werid thing,(On the old case) I took the PS out of this Dell and hooked it up to the computer im trying to fix, pluged it in and it turned on! But I didnt have any heatsink or fan on the CPU beucase this was about the 10000x I have tried turning it on. So after about 10 sec it shuts off automaticly (CPU got to hot). I let it cool down and put the fan on.. press the power button.. NOTHING! I dont get it..

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense I just put way to much $ on trying to fix this computer, and I'm all out of ideas and I don't want to spend $500 getting some guy to check over each thing and end up telling me i need a new MB or something...

Please any ideas/help/tips would be great..:wtc:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Get pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Is your power supply on 110V (United States) and not 220V (other countries)?

Is it possible that your monitor is defective, or is it booting up to BIOS. (You see the system count up the RAM, show CPU speed, etc...), but just doesn't load Windows.

Could be bad cables (i.e. connecting motherboard to hard drive)

4. darnit

darnit New Member

Is your power supply on 110V (United States) and not 220V (other countries)?
    good advice, since you got a new one, check the little switch on the back of the PS. Make sure it in the right position.

since you know it intially powers up, find out what two pins it goes to on the MB, jumper them instead of using the front pannel switch.
    I would say that would fix it.

it isnt your HD, would beep, and still show up on mon, a comp will boot up to BIOS without a HD
    It shouldn't be your video card,it normally would beep like crazy, change it out with an older cheap card to test.
    That wasn't to smart running it without a fan BTW.. You could have just burnt out the CPU and MB. I fried an AMD 400 in under 6 secs, Heatsink was on loose and I OC'ed it.

5. V-Viper

V-Viper New Member

The thing won't boot up at all I'm out of ideas..
    and yes I have the PS at 115 thanks for the advice tho

6. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

I've had that issue before.

Dead processor...BUT...If nothing happens at all when the power switch is pressed, wire it into the reset switch instead.

I had to figure that out for my bro. His PowMax case had a dead power button so I wired it into the reset switch for him. Worked like a champ first boot.

7. motivez

motivez New Member

If you can't figure it out on your own, the best option is honestly to take it in and have someone else look at it and tell you what the problem is.

I've had to do that several times and I've been building my own PC's for years.