MMA I'm about to take a break from training

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Optamix, May 2, 2007.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

My body is just dying.

Both my thumbs are hurt(swollen joints, painful to use, constantly hitting them and they hurt so bad I can't grab with that hand for the rest of the roll), my right big toe has the same problem. It hurts so bad after I put weight on it wrong I can't even post with that foot, my knees are always sore to the point that I can't shoot, and my whole body just aches.

I dont have any fights or comps or anything coming up, hell I'm probably about to move out of the country for a long time, so I think I'm just gonna chill with it for a month or two. Which is wierd because since I've started training I've never stopped.

Anyone else feel like this? Like your body just hurts to bad for it to be fun anymore?:wtc:

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I don't do mma training/fighting like you do so I can't say I feel the same type of pain. But I have felt many times like my body is just dying. What keeps me from stopping training is the fact that there are some people I train with who act like they are entitled to respect but only show up like once a month. I want to be the exact opposite of that and represent the outcome of true consistent training.

But when it comes down to it, it is just for fun, and when if its not fun for you anymore, a break can't hurt.

3. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

i'm halfway through a two week break, taking time off to let my back recover from a tournament. can't wait to get back on the mat, though.

i've taken a few long breaks (4-6 months), and i thought i was going to go nuts. something just didn't feel right. if you're going to take a long break (> a few weeks), go to the gym alot, or play some sport or something just to fill the time/niche that training takes up.

4. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I used to overtrain/get more injuries than anyone I know. Now I take atleast a week off every 2 or so months. Right now, two of my ribs are fractured and my right knee ankle and shoulder are fucked. My thumbs and a few of my toes are messed up too.

I'm gonna hate myself in a few years lol.

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I feel like that too, like I'm not gonna be able to walk when I'm 30.

I'm just tired of hurting so bad all the time that I have to take sleeping medicine to go to sleep.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that gets this beat up :(

6. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

I don't train mma but i know what you're talking about. Im 31 now and feel broke down. My joints hurt, my hips and especially knees are fucked. When i was younger...up to age 22 or so i would play basketball on concrete for about 4 hours a day, and then train karate for another 3 hours. I would do this at least 5 times a week.

Defintely take a break. But make sure your diet is in check...get your healthy fats in. I think i fucked up on diet. I practically lived off taco bell and lucky charms back then :mamoru:

7. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I'm enjoying the not having to be in fight trim. After my last fight was canceled I've been on a beinge. I've been going through like 2 liters of coke a day :noes:

And pizza. Oh god, I've put some pizza away.

It feels good not to have to be near 155 :wiggle:

8. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Everyones doing it. You want to be cool too don't you?

9. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Seems like about every 3-4 months I take about a week off and rest up. I come back feeling better than ever. I think that anyone that trains hard and consistently feels like that at some point. You are not alone.

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

every one needs some time to recharge their batteries. If its alot of bag work thats making your hands hurt focus more on some shadow boxing and other drills. Switch up your routine.

11. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

I want to take a break too, but my instructor is out teaching seminars for two weeks or something. I have to keep coming to the morning classes to open up, and teach (which is really fun) but I have all sorts of stupid aches, and random mat burn all over the place. :hs: but i cant complain too much. jiu jitsu is always fun to some extent no matter what.

12. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

:werd: listen to your body, says me

13. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah I may take a break for a day because im dog ass tired from training so much and I have a fight on sunday so I might take tonight off so I can recharge and get one good training session in tomorrow before the fight and go light till then