I'm about to pull the trigger on a powerbook. Quick question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NSX, Dec 25, 2005.

1. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

about AppleCare.

I've found cheaper prices on the net, lower than the $350 AppleStore is asking. Don't know a whole lot about Macs so how does this thing work?

Is Apple co. picky about which merchant you get it from? I saw the box at Apple store. What's in it? Do I have to get at the same time I get the powerbook from or can you buy Apple care seperately and just activate it at a later date?

Answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. migwuk

migwuk New Member

you have until the standard warranty runs out to purchase. the apple store is the best place to get it. I had a small problem and they replaced my computer rather than fixing because i bought my applecare there. hope that helps.

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

applecare is a must. purchase it from the store. it comes with a registration number so you can register online.

4. dionx

dionx > OT Supporter

i purchased the applecare for my laptop at the bookstore of a university. i'm no longer a student, but was able to get the student discount by purchasing it online. i think the cost was $250.

5. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

But wouldn't it be the same coverage to buy it on the net as it is at the applestore? I mean if I had a problem with the powerbook and take it to an Apple store to get it fixed, will they be giving me the cold shoulder or the run-around (like telling me to mail it to Apple headquarters or something)?

I'm thinking 'why would it matter?' It seems to me that applecare is applecare, isn't it?

Sorry for the questions. It is a rather expensive investment and I want to know the fine print before buying. :)

6. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Hey, you're making me think. I am registered through my alma mater and I can take advantage of the student discount as well (even though I'm no longer a student anymore). I'm hesitating because I'm scared that they'd find out (especially when I need repairs).

7. dionx

dionx > OT Supporter

well the applecare can be bought as a gift by a student and passed on to you. the applecare registration is not linked to how it was purchased. it's like a gift certificate that already has a predetermined value.

the only thing you would need the purchase receipt for is the item that is being insured.

8. dionx

dionx > OT Supporter

applecare is applecare no matter where you get it. but buying it in the store, i would need to show proof of ID for an education discount. online, i wouldn't have to show that proof.

and regardless of where i got my applecare, i can just take it in person to any apple store.