I'm about to flash my Radeon 9800 Pro to 9800 XT...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Black Light, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Black Light

Black Light Guest

wish me luck :x: :hs:

IB video card gets fried :ugh:

2. DJ Zeratul

DJ Zeratul New Member

hey you can have fried radeon 9800 for dinner!

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

:eek3: You can do dat?

4. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

It won't help you. The only difference (other than clockspeeds) is that the XT has a thermal diode built in to monitor temperature for the overdrive feature. This is a hardware change, so flashing the bios will not enable overdrive for you. You could get the same results of the bios flash by just installing a program like rage3dtweak and overclocking the card to XT speeds.

5. Black Light

Black Light Guest

:naughty: :hs:

6. Accido

Accido New Member

if it works I may just save myself some bucks and get the 9800 pro

7. BlaXicaN

BlaXicaN OT Supporter

didnt u buy a 9600pro?

8. Black Light

Black Light Guest

How do you explain this then:
    http://www.3dmaxx.net/articles/xtflash/

:confused: :squint:

9. Black Light

Black Light Guest

Just sold it for $100... 9800 pro was bought on 6 months interest free Best Buy credit... hopefully I'll have another job before they are up :ugh:

10. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

It thinks it's an XT so overdrive is available, but since no temperatures are being reported back, overdrive won't function. All you're gaining is faster clock speeds, which can be accomplished with a number of applications.

11. Black Light

Black Light Guest

I'm expecting at least some kind of improvement... can't hurt... I hope... :x:

12. Black Light

Black Light Guest

Any articles on this? I just wanna get a 2nd opinion or some kind of unbiased source of info :hs:

13. Accido

Accido New Member

what? you speak as if the XT is sold only with the potential to OC, and is actually the same speed as 9800 pro.

14. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Just look for some reviews of the 9800 XT, at least one of them is sure to mention that the only hardware change is the addition of a thermal diode to monitor temperatures for overdrive.

Video cards to me are like cars to most of OT, I know more about them than I really should :o

15. Black Light

Black Light Guest

yeah, I think it's more than just clock settings :dunno:

16. Black Light

Black Light Guest

links for lazy people? :x: :o

17. BlaXicaN

BlaXicaN OT Supporter

welll i read about the 9600xt and how big of an improvement it is over the 9600pro. i would assume the same for the 9800xt tho im probly wrong

18. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Out of the box, the clockspeeds are higher. If you were to disable overdrive and put the 9800 Pro at the same clockspeeds as the XT, the performance would be identical. The only change the XT has is a thermal diode to monitor temperatures, which doesn't help performance. When overdrive is enabled, the card may overclock itself from 412 mhz core to 432 mhz if the temperatures are within the proper ranges. XT's have slightly better overclocking potential because they're tested to run at higher speeds, nothing more. The design is not more efficient than the 9800 Pro. It's the same reason ati made radeon 9500's. Some chips weren't fast enough to run at the speeds the 9700 Pro required, so instead of wasting them, they put them on lower end cards and clocked them lower. ATI had good yields, so they threw some thermal diodes in and started speed binning the chips for higher clockspeeds.

19. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

If what Matt-AWD says is true (it's just clockspeed), the difference is that the XT is guranteed to run at those speeds, and can be clocked higher. The Pro is not, and will most likely not go as fast.

20. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

The 9600XT is an interesting one. The 9800 XT is only clocked 32 MHz faster than the 9800 Pro, while the 9600 XT is clocked 100 MHz faster than the 9600 Pro. The 9800 Pro and XT are manufactured on the .15 micron process, which is nearing the end of its life, hence why the clock speeds didn't go up much. The 9600 Pro was manufactured on the .13 micron process, enabling it to hit higher speeds. The 9600 was sort of ATI's test chip for the .13 process. The 9600 Pro was manufactured without the low-k dialectic-, which pretty much shields the chip from a lot of electronic interference. The 9600 XT was really handed to ATI on a plate since TSMC got low-k working, which enabled them to release practically the same card with a 100MHz clock speed increase just by changing the manufacturing process slightly. This is the same reason nvidia had so much trouble with the cooling of the GeForce FX 5800. The card was the first to be manufactured on the .13 micron process, and low-k was not available. With 120 million transistors running at 500 MHz without low-k, that thing got pretty fucking hot.

21. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Exactly. Realistically, most 9800 Pro's can hit XT clockspeeds, I think most of them usually are able to hit around 425 on the core with stock cooling. Because of the larger cooler on the XT and speed binning done by ATI, the XT can generally overclock higher than the Pro.

22. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

23. The XT's voltage is higher which helps stability, other than than they are basically the same. A V-modded 9800 Pro can match a 9800 XT's clock speed.

24. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Most can even do it without a volt mod.