im about to delete windows and start over..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by t8thgr8, Mar 29, 2007.

1. t8thgr8

t8thgr8 evry day im hustlin'

what do i need to make sure i do before i go through with this?
    windows xp

2. t8thgr8

and how do you delete windows?

3. Create

Create :free at last:

You need: All software CD's. Some method to backup data.

Preparation: Backup all data, including your desktop outlook email, etc. Insert XP CD, reboot, enter BIOS, change boot order to boot from the CD, then the HDD. Save and exit BIOS.

Clearing the drive: XP CD will prompt for action on boot. You want to install a fresh copy. You will enter a partition tool. Delete the existing partition. Create a new partition.

Reconstruct: Install windows to partition. Windows Update x11ty billion. Install other needed software. Copy backup data to drive.

4. t8thgr8

cool i appreciaate it. i was worried about the windows updates id be losing. is there an option to enter bios or do i have to physically command it?

5. Create

Create :free at last:

np
    As long as you can pass the serial number validation on install Windows Update will function. It can be a pita to d/l everything again, though, as it'll take two or three iterations.

Your computer should say "Press DEL to enter Setup" or somthing similar. Some machines (there's another BIOS setting to control this) will show a logo for the motherboard manufacturer during this time. The key is usually DEL, but sometimes F2 or another function key.

You just need to change 'Device boot Order' so that the CD is in slot 1 and the HDD is in slot 2. Once you've finished installing Windows you can change this to HDD slot 1, CD slot 2.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i usually copy the system32 folder onto an external drive before i reformat and redo someone's computer. it holds all the drivers installed on that computer. nothing is worse than going over someone's house to redo a computer, reinstalling windows, then not having the driver for the network card so you can't download any other drivers (i always bring my laptop with me as a backup)

7. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Yea I always download the network driver on a flash drive. If its a dell or somthing I download all the drivers ahead of time just so you can install everything at once. I also go through and write down all the programs that I want/need to reinstall so I don't have to try and remember later. Also once you write down all the programs make sure if you save anything from them that you have the files and it doesn't store stuff in specific program folders in which you would loose.