SRS I'm a commuter student :(

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sure why not?, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Sure why not?

Sure why not? New Member

started college, lived on campus away from home and had a blast. But I had no idea what i wanted to study. Took 2 years off from school to work and figure things out. Now I have transfered to the state school 10 mins from my parents home, and picked a major I'm passionate about. But my problem is I will be living at home with my parents since we can't afford room and board. (both of my parents' jobs have been effected by the recession.)

How do I have a social life with kids in college my age who are constantly at the dorms? How do I develop and maintain this social life without feeling like I'm out of the loop. Missing those spontanious trips to get fast food at 2am, going to parties and hooking up with chicks? and all the drinking?! essentiall, I just want to have the complete college experience and not be antisocial. I know nobody at this college now since I'm 2 years behind anyone my age and this school is new to me.

Any advice from anyone who has been in my position before?

2. Pepe

Pepe New Member

it is hard commuting, i did it for the last 2 years of my undergrad. you just have to meet people any way possible. volunteer for some groups/clubs on campus, work in class groups with people you most likely will get along with, ask people whats going on during the weekend, go to sports events (football tailgate is HUGE for meeting people), shit like that.

i'm not gonna lie, it isn't easy, i know i would have had a much better time had i lived on campus, but i still made some great friends, had some good times, but my grades are much higher than had i lived the college lifestyle. best of luck man.

3. Phantom

Phantom Active Member

All of life is what you make out of it. Circumstances will never be perfect. If you were in the dorms, you would complain that you are on the wrong floor, or don't have enough money etc.

The secret is ignore the excuses and do the best with the hand you are given.

In your case, force yourself to socialize with people in class and see what flows from there. Make plans for after class for a meal or to study with others. Study at the school library. Eat at school, even if you have to bring your own food. Smile.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I used to live at home with the rents and attended a commuter university. I thought there wasn't any social life there....then I joined a frat and found very quickly how wrong I was. There was plenty to do and tons of cool people to meet. It was awesome and I still keep in touch with many of those people today.

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I commuted for 4 years it was hard at first b/c like you said everyone lives in the dorms and hangs out all the time. I probably didn't have as many friends as most people but we had our small circle of friends that had almost every class together (engineering major) and I ended up spending a lot of time at school anyway. Do I wish I lived on campus hell yeah but I'm glad I'm not 100k in debt right now either, having 0 student loans was worth it.

6. Sure why not?

Sure why not? New Member

My school doesn't have any football program since it's one of the several campuses of the state university, so no tailgating. But they do have a good soccer program and im sure intramural sports I'll be interested in playing.

I'm not making excuses, I'm just asking for advice. Thank you for that part of your post.

Did you still commute while in the frat? How was that? I've been thinking about joing a frat for a more active social life and my friend from a frat at another school in my state could give me some names of people to talk to if I was interested.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yep.
    Sometimes it sucked....coming home drunk wasn't always easy to pull off. As I got older, I moved into the frat. Lot's of times it really sucked cuz I was so far away from the action. Usually tho, it was a good thing. It kept me out of more trouble.
    Well I'm glad I joined and became a member. I think I always would have wondered what I was missing if I hadn't. I'm glad I went through it but I wouldn't do it again...that's for sure. You usually have to put up with a bunch of stupid shit to get in and looking back, it was really stupid shit.

8. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

Don't sweat it! It may seem like you are missing out, but right now there are people in the dorms wishing they didn't have to be there. You really can have the best of both worlds by making friends, joining clubs and going out to events or parties.

9. Sure why not?

Sure why not? New Member

well a little update: First week of classes went ok, met a few people, saw a few hot girls I dont quite have enough confidence to talk to yet, but working on that. and tonight I'm going to a rush party at a fraternity to see if it's anything I'm seriously interested in. Should be fun, and hopefully I'll meet some new friends/chicks or atleast have a good time!