I'm a bit overwhelmed... can someone explain home media sharing etc to me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bait, Apr 27, 2010.

1. bait

bait New Member

I've been reading around, and I can't seem to find something that breaks things down sort of simply for me to figure out what I actually need. Everything I've been able to dig up is sort of in-depth.

What I'd like to do: play music to at least one, maybe two stereos(separately or together?) and possibly play movies/video as well. I would like to do this over a wired/wireless network. Ive come across WHS and the linksys media hubs, and I've started to figure out that these are supposed to be centralized... so what actually hooks into tvs and stereos? Can windows media center do all this with XBOX 360s? Are there devices cheaper than 360s? Can I control them from my desktop? Really just hoping someone could provide me with a quick overview or a good link to learn...

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

If you have a 360 hooked to your tv and a computer somewhere on the network running media center compatible software you can browse movies, music, and pictures on the 360.

Looks like this http://netgear.com/Products/Entertainment/DigitalMediaPlayers/EVA2000.aspx

should also do the trick for what you are trying to do. Although you might want to read some reviews first just to be sure.

3. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

4. bait

bait New Member

thanks alot

5. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Media PC's with linux work as well. You can set them up just like you set up a home network with mapped drives to a single server and have either a control keyboard/mouse combination for each room or one that works in every room or both.

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

PS3 can do the same as well. My computer is close enough to the TV to run a DVI-HDMI cable directly to it but since I got my PS3 I actually prefer to go through the built in media server, it just seems nicer.

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I have this as well but for some reason all the movies I have that are Bluray quality and had converted to HD will play with a ton of lag. I've noticed that all other movies in the top right hand corner has a disk that spins, now the movies that don't play correctly won't have that. I think its a sign that its buffering the bigger movies are buffering and causing the lag. Its stickly the HD quality movies.

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Wired or wireless? My wireless N network cannot handle bluray rips, but they worked fine once I plugged it in.