GUN I'm a bad gun owner

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm starting to pare down my collection in pretty serious ways. I've only been shooting for a few years and feel like I've bought a lot of stuff in that time trying to find whats right for me. Now that I'm feeling pretty comfortable and settled in, I'm starting to let some of the extra stuff go. Relatively recently I've ditched a keltec, a sig, 2 surplus bolt guns and I'm thinking about putting an unissued yugo sks out to pasture. I figure I can just about sell it for enough to get a decent start on a dot sight. I'm tempted to keep it because its just sort of neat looking and in perfect shape but really...I've barely shot it in 3 years. If I'm going to the range I'd rather just shoot my ar.

So who else has broken that old "never sell a gun" crap and cut down on their collection? I think I've finally found what works for me and what I enjoy shooting. How many of your guns are just something for a collection or for looks that you really don't shoot?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I say sell that Yugo SKS. Use the money to buy things you like shooting (or more ammo for your AR).

I think I've been pretty happy with my gun purchases, I like all of my guns in my collection even if I don't shoot them that often. I did buy a bunch of AK mags a year or so ago, but ended up selling most of them. I have about 5-10 per rifle and I only usually shoot 5 mags total or so each range trip while most of them sit at home.

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I've sold a few guns and don't really regret selling any of them. :dunno:

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

I wish I had a big enough collection for that to be an issue :rofl:

5. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I'm dumping my AR, .357, and G27.

6. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I think a lot of the guns I plan to buy will be purely for collection or showing off, so I dont see this happening to me.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Just tell yourself your making room in the safe.

8. I'd rather have a smaller collection of guns that I like and use rather than a large collection of guns that just sit around.

9. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

This is the way I feel. I buy want to buy a lot of stuff just to have it. :rofl:

10. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I feel the same way, but I dont have much to sell off so I don't really think it's worth it. Just like you, I guess I'd sell my Yugo SKS. I like it because it's pretty much mint and a very good shooter, but I'd rather shoot my AR any day. I have too many expensive hobbies to dump a ton of money into guns and I'm really on a kick to improve my existing guns before I buy any new ones.

Have:

EBR: AR
    Big bolt: Mark X 7mm mag (don't reload so this one doesn't get shot much, but I need it for hunting)
    Carry pistol: XD9sc
    plinker rifle: 10/22
    Boomstick: Mosin
    Shotty: Mossy 500

Don't need:

Yugo SKS

Do Want:

Service .45
    Pocket carry pistol
    P22
    9mm AR
    .17HMR savage

:sad2:

11. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

I've never EVER sold a gun.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

For a sense of scale, I think I should be able to keep my combined total of handguns and long guns at or under 15 forever and have plenty of toys to play with.

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just choose wisely I hate to sell guns but I've sold quite a few I have no regrets about, but I've also sold several I really regret selling non cmp garand, polytech, slr95, maadi, ppk(first carry gun) :hs:

I usually only sell if I hate the gun or I need to raise some money, my last great sell of was when I got the TL, now I'm considering buying a new bike this year :noes:

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I hope to sell many many guns. But these are guns I pull off the prize table. What it comes down to is that I'm a shooter not a collector. I have no problems selling guns to fund more shooting.

Sure there are many guns I would like to have, but I got limited space in the safe. So I'm only going to keep guns I shoot. Fortunately I shoot a lot.

I'm also a big fan of tricking out your guns to the max. I figure you can only shoot one gun at a time so make sure it is set up to it's greatest potential.

15. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

I am thinking of selling my 22/45, but just because I want to put the money towards one with a longer barrel.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats kind of where I'm at I think. My range time is limited, sure the enfield and sks look cool and are little pieces of history but isn't a red dot or a float tube on the ar I actually shoot better to have?

When I feel skilled enough with the ar the 870 might even go although I do feel like I almost have to keep a shotgun. Although perhaps an auto.... :big grin:

17. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

ive never sold a gun but im a C&R collector. so far i have 20 rifles and pistols

18. bigtire

bigtire New Member

I've sold a bunch. I tend to use them as investments. Over the years when I've been between jobs I could sell a few on Gunbroker.com to get the bills paid. There are some I'll never sell, but most i'll part with if the money is right.

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I buy and sell stuff weekly. I'm actually looking into getting my 01 FFL (have a BATFE appt. scheduled for next week!!) because I'm worried that I do too much buying/selling, and it would looked upon as me doing it for profit.

I'm not much into the hording philosophy. I keep some stuff that's sentimental to me, and stuff that would be hard/impossible to duplicate, but that's about it.

I'm always looking for a better mousetrap, so firearms come and go based on current needs/wants and in round robin fashion. When I find something new that is better than the old, the old gets tossed out. Case in point, My CZ's retired a brace of Sigs, and a Glock as they are currently my favorite fullsize 9mm's. R&D'ing new shit is a large part of the "fun" for me.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The SKS had a photo shoot today..thats bad news for it :rofl:

[​IMG]

21. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

how much for it shipped to 28655

22. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

It looks like unissued yugos are selling anywhere from $325 to $359 on gunbroker so I actually think I'm going to try to post it there and see if anyone is willing to pay that for a cleaned up one with 50 rounds through it in incredible condition. I'm just assumining that none of us are interested in $300 yugos :big grin:

23. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've actually been surprised what some dried up milsurps have increased in price to, even cheap stuff like bulgie maks.

25. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

nope.
    the only one that doesnt get used to much,is the beowulf.ammo is kind of a bitch to find and i dont reload at the present time