GUN I'm 21 now!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Nov 2, 2004.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I made a few threads a while ago about which guns to buy. I mentioned I was a huge fan of the 1911's by Springfield. Someone suggested trying a Browning Hi-Po as a first gun. Now that I can actually legally buy one, I'm back for some suggestions on what to check out. Actually...it litterally JUST hit me that I can now go shoot at a place that rents them and see which I like best. I just made my day that much better. Anyhow, suggestions? Looking for handgun suggestions for now, but shotgun suggestions are welcome as well. Shit, now I want both. (I know it's only 18 for shotgun)

2. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Rent a "loaded" 1911.

Rent a Hi-Power.

Rent a CZ-75 P01B.

I'll admit that I'm no fan of plastic guns. But, try some of them too.

For me, I can grab a 1911, or a Hi-Power, close my eyes and point, and then look at the sights and they are pointing where I want them to. I can't do that with a Glock.

I'd lean toward the Hi-Power or the Springfield 1911 myself.

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Based on looks as I havn't shot any yet, I would agree with you. Springfield first then the Hi-power. I'm going tomorrow after I vote but before I go to work to rent some various guns. I'm excited.

4. oakie

oakie my ninja.

:wavey:

i'm a sig whore. i'll just keep to myself until i see any sig related questions.

5. shohan

shohan New Member

Another vote for Sig! I love my P220 in .45. Overall Sigs are very comfortable to me. The grip angle feels right and it doesn't feel bulky in my hand. Disassembly is straight forward and they have many models to offer. Compared to 1911s, Glocks, and a BHP I am more comfortable with my Sig. Like Clingman said rent a few designs and find what you like and what you can shoot. And don't get hung up on calibre. A 9mm is just as effective as a .45 when the shot is put in the proper place.

Good luck.

6. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

Get an XD, great gun in general as well as a great first gun.

IBglocksackridersstartcrying

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

get something in 9mm

8. Platinum_Thunder

Stop spewing your bullshit around.

9. Platinum_Thunder

That an external safety is some sort of problem :ugh:

10. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I didn't end up going today because I just ran out of time. I woke up later than usual because I had no class this morning due to the vote. My teacher cancelled them so we would all go vote. Anyhow, I at least called and asked how they did the rentals. It's $20 for a half hour. Then you pay for ammo, so he said count on about $12 for that. So it's basically $32/gun/half-hour. So far the majority seems to be pro Sig and Glock. I'd like to rent 2, maybe 3 and choose from those. I don't really feel like spending that much on just figuring out which gun I like considering its basically 1/5 of buying most guns themselves. So, Sig and Glock. If they have a High-Po I'll probably try that.

Okay, I ask this. If you could rent 3 guns, which would they be? Don't care why, just which 3. Any type of pistol.

11. Clingman

Rent a "loaded" 1911.

Rent a Hi-Power.

Rent a CZ-75 P01B.

12. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

ya just can't get more blunt than that ladies and genitalmen.

13. oakie

oakie my ninja.

sig, glock, colt 1911.

mainly for these reasons:
    - the Sig features a standard grip angle. specifically choose one of the P2-- series, probably a P226 or P229 would be your best bets unless you want a .45, then try the P220.
    - the Glock features a VERY non-standard grip angle, and since its intro back in the late-80's to early 90's, has made a major impact on modern gun design. if the Sig doesnt point naturally for you, the glock will, and vice versa.
    - it's a design that has NOT changed since 1910, so the Colt 1911 has to be good. it requires some extra features to increase reliability and accuracy, but all in all is a great gun that has stood the test of time. the only detriment is the single action only design, which requires a bit more attention when using for concealed carry as there's 2 accepted modes of carry... cocked and locked and empty chamber, one perceived to be safer than the other, while being a slow draw option.

the sig and glock are both the ultimate in reliability. a basic 1911 will require some tuning to be as reliable. the sig is often referred to as the mercedes of handguns due to materials, design, craftsmanship, dependability and accuracy, thus demanding a high retail price. the glock meets all functional criteria for any service pistol... one of the most reliable and durable in the world.

basically, check out those 3. if you like the glock, buy a glock. if you like the sig, consider other brands as they feature very similar grip angles... but go for the sig if you have the money set aside for it. HK also makes a great gun. if you go for the 1911, get the best you can get, or the cheapest and get it tuned.

14. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

thanks for the reply. i don't know if i feel like worrying about getting a gun tuned right now, so i may stay away from the 1911 for now. i'll go with renting a sig, glock and finding another 3rd option now.

15. Clingman

You won't need to worry about a Springfield 1911 being tuned.

16. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Are the Springfield models a little better than the rest? Being this is my first gun I'd rather not have to worry about replacing parts and moding it to keep it shooting properly. In all reality, I won't be going to a range but maybe once a week or every other week, and thats all I really ask of it. So Springfield 1911 is back on the list. Pay day is tomorrow, guns calling my name Friday.

17. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

springfields are actually just the basic 1911. they're popular because for the money, they're good. they're not as expensive as a kimber, but likewise, they're not as good as a kimber. springfields can also be hit or miss. with the loaded series, you can get a fantastic pistol, or one that turns out to have some problems, or a less than fantastic trigger. i disagree about the comment about tuning a springfield. if you get a less than perfect one, you'll probably end up playing with it to get it working the way a 1911 should. kimber, for the money, is the best quality 1911 you can get. if you can find a series I, rather than a II, in good shape for a good price, get it. the series II's have a hammer block that noticeably changes the trigger pull. it's still incredible, but it's not as good as the series I triggers that don't have to disengage a hammer block.

18. Clingman

Of course a Kimber will probably be the best 1911 of those discussed. And you get what you pay for.

But according to my personal experience with 4 or 5 Springfield 1911s, and encounters with a few more, they are great pistols and certainly up to par with anything in that price range. The trigger on my loaded 1911 is excellent.

There are people who talk about AK-47's that are finicky and won't run for shit. And I'm sure there are a few out there that won't. But I've been around the block and I haven't seen such. If you get my drift.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  19. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

3 guns to shoot ...

a Glock (be reasonable, a G19 or G23 ... don't go grab something in .45GAP just cause it's the new cool thing),

a Springfield 1911 (I have 2 Glocks and just bought an Springfield 1911 - new favorite weapon),

and a CZ75 ( I don't own one, but have shot one on several occasions - incredible gun).

20. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

well i went. i talked to the guy behind the desk for a while and he said because it was my first time i "had" to shoot a 357 magnum. i didn't really feel like arguing or saying no, so i said alright and shot a S&W 357 magnum w/ 38 special bullets. (forgive me if thats not how you would really say that...) anyhow.....it was actually a lot of fun. i was pretty happy with how i ended up shooting considering it was my first time. the differance between double and single action was so much more than i thought it would be. i'll go back next and rent something a bit more modern. i think i'm going to end up compromising on size and possibly go with something in a .40 any suggestions on that? i still plan on trying a glock amoung other things. anyhow.....thanks for all the pointers on here. i have my targets if anyone is interested in seeing them. i can take pics. i think im addicted already

21. shohan

shohan New Member

That brings up a good point. As I glance back through the other threads no one suggestded any revolvers. If you don't mind a revolver that might be the way to go. They're good looking, a little more so depending on the model compared to some autos, easy to maintain, and once again depending on the model can fire 2 different cartridges. I like the Ruger GP100 and will probably be my next purchase. Like the S&W you fired it's chambered in .357 Mag, but you can aslo fire .38 Spc. Makes it cheaper for practice sometimes.

If not a GP100 then I'll probably look into a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

22. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Just out of curiosity, why did they have me fire that first? I realize a 38 Spec. is probably easier to shoot simply because of the size, but theres also other guns that shoot that caliber. Are revolvers just more user friendly with the (re)loading and what not?

23. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Actually, one more question before I go to bed for work in 7 hours. Everyone talks about shooting any number of rounds without problems. What 'problems' come up? And how easy are they to fix? I mean, is it as easy as taking apart a gun while you're standing at the range, or do you need to buy parts and replace them? How easy is it to take guns apart? Holy shit I know nothing.

24. oakie

oakie my ninja.

the most common problem when shooting would be a misfeed/jam. it is easily cleared at the range. i dont feel like going step by step, so make sure u take a safety course when you buy.

misfeeds/jams are infrequent with most quality guns and ammo. if you get one, it was probably due to a limpwristed hold or improper mag loading.

25. Clingman

I suppose he had you try the revolver since it's the simplest to use. He probably didn't feel like teaching you how to operate anything else.

The 'usual' problems people speak of are FTF or fail to feed, and FTE or fail to eject/extract.

Fail to feed simply means the chamber did not close on the round. This could be a cleanliness problem, magazine problem, etc.

FTE can be anything from a case hanging in the ejection port to the case getting ripped in half while stuck in the chamber.

There are 'bigger' problems to talk about but with new, modern autoloaders, reliability is the biggest issue. In other words if you buy a new, name-brand gun you won't really need to worry about it blowing up like a grenade :)

If you do actually break a part, or have reliability problems, you would want to either take the gun to a local gunsmith or send it to the manufacturer's gunsmiths. Later you'll learn to perform certain fixes yourself but at first, leave it to the guys who do it for a living :)

Field-stripping is the action of disassembling a gun to a level which allows any necessary routine cleaning. This is done without tools on the vast, vast majority of pistols. Usually a piece of cake, but sometimes a new gun will leave you scratching your head (or piercing blood blisters).

Hope I'm helping...