SRS I'm 17 and not excited about college.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Silverwolf90, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

I have a great family life. I have great friends. I have an amazing girlfriend. But the more I think about life itself, the more meaningless and trite it seems to be. Yet, I'm still a relatively happy person and definately not depressed. I guess it's sort of optimistic pessimism :o. My gf tells me I'm probably the least stressed person in the world. Not much truly matters to me.

I don't care about most things. Especially pertaining to school, I'm smart, but I just work enough to glide by with good test grades. I rarely do homework.

I'll probably get into all my colleges I applied to, I've been accepted to 2/4 colleges so far. But I'm just not as excited as everyone else seems to be. For two reasons:

First of all, my girlfriend and I (our one year was today), are planning to ease out of our relationship throughout the first couple months of college because we're going to different schools. And we both are trying to be realistic. THe chances of us staying together with a long distance relationship during college are very slim. In addition, I heavily frown upon drinking and I know she'll be into that at her school. But thinking about not being with her makes me entirely depressed and sad. So I usually try and not talk/think about it.

Second, I'm very much against altering one's state of mind. And since everyone knows partying is a big part of college, and many people partake in shit like that, I'm afraid the whole social aspect is going to be difficult for me.

It just seems like I'm just continuing a boring formula for life.

Good grades = good college = good job = success

It just seems like a big load of BS to me. Last summer I worked as an Intern at Microsoft, and I'll probably be working there again this summer. And the road of computer science, that I thought I was going to take, seems like it would get real tiring, real fast. And now I have no idea what I want to do.

So any wise words OT?

Sorry, I kind of hit a lot of things really quickly in my life :o

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. Timdog

Timdog New Member

I've felt like this before and one thing that helped was actually CARING about something. Or switching things up and trying something new.

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

So...just take your gen eds the first two years of college to get an idea of what you like and dislike. And just because you don't go out and party doesn't mean you won't have fun. You're still going to have more freedom than you have ever had.

Finding people with similar interests/mindsets as you is key. Instead of friends who say "hey, lets go get drunk or go to a party', you want to find friends who say 'hey, let's go see a movie or go bowling or something".

You will enjoy it, trust me.

4. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

You seem like a smart teenager. Kudos for that. And kudos for being realistic about your relationship. Because sadly it's not going to work out if you're not seeing her enough. Even more if she is the partying type.

Like mentioned before just take some regular general courses. If you really don't even want to go to college just take a couple classes during the night. This will keep you away from the college experience because you'll be in classes with people older than you who are strictly going there for classes and not all the other bs that college brings with it.

5. dura

dura Guest

I was the same way at your age. I had no motivation to do homework, yet excelled in class. I had the option of transferring to a CC instead of doing my senior year of high school, but neglected to do so. Instead, I spent my senior year doing nothing. In retrospect, it was very stupid. I wanted to dedicate myself to continuing my education, yet felt like I was dwelling around for nothing. At the same time I wanted nothing to do with the typical college life. It felt like I was going to splay myself open for a "normal" pursuit of a career after my education. I had no part in wanting the life of my college/uni friends. So, a few days after I turned 18, I visited an Army recruiter and signed my papers. I had a scholarship and the whole nine yards, but I wanted to make my own path.

Sometimes you have to take the reigns and focus your intentions on what will make you happy. For me, it was this, and for it is something entirely different. I'll finish school once I'm done with this, but it's nice to be able to see a side of the fence many don't see. It feels different to start from the bottom. That's just my outlook, I guess.

6. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

wow what a cold and lonely life you live.

7. Yuppy

and there is nothing wrong with drinking 2-3 beers. drinking 20 beers is what alters your mind.. 2-3 doesnt do shit to most people

and more than likely you are against it kuz you have never done it and only listen to what people say are the negatives.

live a little. you only get college once.

8. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

Depending on the size of his g/f... 3 beers could have an effect on her. Besides, you're talking about a college party where they keep telling people to keep drinking. She'll be 18, young and stupid in terms of being street smart. All those older guys will pressure her to drink and probably her friends to. Those 3 beers quickly turns into 5 and after she's really starting to act different.

9. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

College is what you make of it. If you do not want to party and drink then don't! I have plenty of friends who do not drink and they do just fine socially.

When it comes to Majors... well I personally had 5 Majors before I settled down. CS, CE, IT, CJ, and finally ANSA. You aren't suppose to know what you want to do with your life at day 1 of college. Most schools give you until your Junior year to make up your mind.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

As strange as this sounds.....you actually sound quite healthy to me.

Ok so your plan to take over the world via computer science has probably changed and you may even have had a lot of momentum in that direction....it certainly sounds like you have. So what do you do? Well I would suggest talking with the career placement office of the College/Uni you attend. They have aptitude tests to help you find out where your interests lie and help suggest careers in those areas.

Don't be afraid to experiment also. Take crazy classes that you think would be interesting or that you have not even considered before. You never know but your dream job might be somewhere in the midst of one of these classes.

I was somewhat like you but my chosen profession was Accounting. Back before I ever even thought about a career, my dad decided we kids were all going to be accountants. So when I was in HS, I didn't even question this at all....I just took 2 years of accounting because it would give me a head start. Afterall, what I WANTED to do was irrelevant because dad was paying the bills so I had to do what he wanted me to.

So I stayed in Uni and in an accounting degree far too long. I wasn't motivated and I wasted so much fucking money that it boggles my mind when I think about it. And guess what.....my first love, the thing that I was most passionate about, computers, turned out to be my real love. So much so that at 36 I returned to Uni to get a second bachelors degree....this time in CS.

Let me assure you that few things in life suck worse than having a mountain of debt and having to work in a job you hate. You feel trapped and there is literally nothing you can do about it. It's a particular kind of hell that many people are trapped in. Thankfully, I was able to find a way out....and how I found that way was by finding out what interested me and then having the guts to follow that path....no matter what anyone else thought.

It was really hard because quite often people questioned my judgment but I didn't care. I knew I was on the right path and I knew it because it felt right. I had a lot of peace and excitement when studying CS. I had a great deal of fun too.

So, don't be afraid to experiment with different professions....even if they are radically different than what you have thought you would be or do. Try everything you can think of.....some you'll like more than others and some you'll be absolutely crazy about.

I can assure you that once you find a job in a field that you are passionate about, work doesn't seem like work at all. In fact, you'll marvel that someone is actually paying you to do this job you love so much.....if they knew how passionate you are about it, they would know that you would do it for free. That's when you know you're on the right path and it's perfectly OK if it takes awhile to find this path.....or even if the path continues to change.....just trust in yourself and you'll find your way.

Good luck

11. Yuppy

i was talking about him.

12. cman254

cman254 New Member

hey man, i'm in college now, i'm a junior and i've been in your position.

when i first went to college i was a slacker (left over from highschool) and i never did any work but still had the highest grade in my chem class. then everything went wrong, i got bronchitis, my gf at the time turned psycho, and my friend died in a car accident there.

so i left and went to another school.

these years in your life are a weird time, and it'll fly by, just make the best of it. i dont drink at college either, and i never have so i get where you're coming from there. you sound like you know most of who you are already which is cool and college will further you in that search.

what you and your gf are doing about easing out is very smart, and very realistic. i commend you for that, i just broke up with my gf of 1.5 years tonight and its gonna be tough :-( anyway man good luck and keep us posted on how it goes and where you end up going!

13. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

I actually have drank before, I've just never been drunk. I still fail to see the point in it, and it seems most people (as cliched as it sounds) do it to fit in. And believe me, I'm smart enough not to listen to bullshit ads on drugs and alchohol.

14. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

Read the first sentence, I'm not lonely at all.

15. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

And thanks for the advice everyone :bigthumb:

16. Yuppy

if you are as smart as you say... which i believe you, you will notice that there is obviously a reason so many people enjoy imbibing a few alcoholic beverages on occasion. You sound responsible enough though, so you probably will have no problem figuring out your limit. I highly advise everyone to go out, enjoy a few beers and have a good time with friends.... you can do that sober too but sometimes its great on a friday after class to go kick back a few.... especially with all the stresses in college.....

17. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Live a little and not all of us party 24/7...

18. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

Why does alchohol/drugs suddenly = living?

19. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

I'd actually like an answer to this questions, because I've heard this alot, yet I still don't understand why people say it.

20. teep

teep New Member

It just means let go of your inhibitions a little and have fun. It doesn't necessarily have to do with drinking. As someone who is about to graduate from college very soon, I have to agree with everyone else in saying that it really is just what you make of it. I won't lie, it will seem like almost everyone is just on a mission to get wasted and laid for a while, but there are plenty of other things to do. It's a weird transitional phase leaving home and all your friends behind, but my advice to you is to embrace it. Meet as many people as you can. It's sooo easy to meet people in college. All it takes is a smile and a handshake and a quick introduction. Don't just worry about grades and your future career. In my opinion thats only half of the whole experience. Don't worry about not drinking. Contrary to anti-drug ads they show in high schools, most kids will respect that and you can still have plenty of fun at parties if you choose to go.
    I felt the same way when I first got to school 4 years ago, but my attitude changed pretty quickly. Trust me when I tell you that you should embrace the whole college experience. You don't want to be like my long time friend/roommate. He's a total recluse, hasn't made a single real friend in college in 4 years, and sleeps till 7pm every day.

good luck man

21. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

:hsd::bigthumb:

22. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

goto college..its basically a place you can choose to network around. its not like you know what to do at this moment anyway.

about 4 years ago i used to do playtest for games in redmond. there was this asian w/ green eyes...if she's still there, tell her i love her and sorry that i was too much of a pussy to chat her up when she gave me my free gift.