MIL i'm 16

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dstrbthapce, May 19, 2005.

1. dstrbthapce

dstrbthapce Guest

well i'm 16 and ever since i was like 8 or 9 i've always wanted to be in the military. as i got older i've looked into every branch and i've gone through wanting to be in every branch but i've decided i'm going to enlist in the Marine Corps. i was gonna enlist in the Navy and try to get into BUD/s but i heard the wait was like a year and i don't like anything else about the Navy but that. so i went and talked to a Marine recruiter (brainwashed me probably about enlisting in the Corps but whatever it's what i'm doing) and he told me about Marine Force Recon. i was just wondering if any of you guys know how to get into the training for it after i finish bootcamp. i'm graduating high school either january or june 2007. thanks.

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Good for you! I decided to join the Marines when I was 16 also.

A buddy of mine was asked to tryout for Recon while he was in Iraq. They usually come around and ask for tryouts, but if you want it bad enough, you can make it known that you want to tryout.

Although I would prefer Recon over SEALs, you can even try out for the SEALs while in the Marine Corps.

As long as you want it bad enough, you can make it happen. You always just have to tell yourself "Why not me?"

3. dstrbthapce

dstrbthapce Guest

awesome. i think i would prefere Recon over SEAL's as well. believe me i want it real bad and you bet your ass i'm gonna make Recon. i just have to get outta damn school first.

also, probably not true, but this Marine i know told me that you have to be in Infantry for 3 years to get into Force Recon. but after what you told me i take it that's not true. thanks.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

There is BN Recon and Force Recon and they are both different. Force Recon does not even consider people on their first contracts and they only allow 03's to tryout after they've proven themselves with a spotless record as an infantryman. BN Recon give you the opportunity to tryout for the indoc out of SOI/MCT and whatnot.

I think everyone who has ever even considered joining the Marine Corps has at one point or another wanted to be Recon or a SS. I'm just going to be happen to earn the title and anything else on top of that is just gravy, after talking to Marines and getting first hand knowledge and learning about THEIR experiences, you need to decide is this really what you want to do in the Corps? Sure, Recon is all high speed, but if you're trying out for it just to be high speed you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. I've decided that it's just not for me, even though i'm a 265-270 PFT'er and could get it up to 285-90 if I really worked at it. Pretty much every Marine I have ever talked to told me that once you're actually in the Corps rather than being a wannabe looking in, the novelty of Recon quickly goes away.

Future 1812 right here :bigthumb:

But anyways, enough of my rambling. Here is some more information for you that I found on Google in 5 seconds:

http://www.forcerecon.com/reconfaq.htm
    http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Smith_112003,00.html

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  5. dstrbthapce

dstrbthapce Guest

so in order to get into Force Recon i must be in for 3 years and pass the indoc. and the interview and all that good stuff? sounds hellof fun to me!

6. Accord

Accord New Member

There are no guarantees in the Marine Corps, you can meet and exceed every requirement and still not make it. It's not like the Army where you're guaranteed a SF spot and whatnot. Don't get your hopes up and just concentrate on preparing for boot if you do truly want to be a Marine, this is the advice that countless Marines i've spoken with over the past year have given me.

I, like you, went through the whole high speed Navy SEAL, Green Beret, Sniper, Recon, blah blah secret squirrel stage a few years ago. With maturity, you'll realize that there is more to the military than just high speed units and there are also a lot of other positions and MOS' in the military and Marine Corps which command an equivelant amount of respect.