SRS I'm 16 years old june 1st....and i have a cig problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chucklenut, May 31, 2006.

1. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

:wavey:hi

since i was in my very early 15's ive been smoking cigs.

over the past month its gotten to the point where im directing my day around "sneaking a smoke"

"mom, im going to bashas" i smoke 3 camel wides

"so (insert my name here) what did you do?"

"read the newspaper"

i bullshit my way around my days, finding every excuse to smoke cigs. in fact, with the 6 different people who willingly buy me packs of cigs, i feel i am trapping myself.

in fact, im only posting this beacuse i just came back from outside at 1 30 AM, smoking a cig secretly in my backyard hoping not to get caught, and i have to get up at 5 tomorrow for work.

i obvioulsy cant tell my parents or enroll in a helping program (because then my parents would find out)

how do i beat this addiction?!? i really want help

2. SiKØ™

SiKØ™ New Member

There are anonymous agencies and charities around which don't require details such as names, next of kin, contact details, etc. If you don't trust your parents to be so understanding sign up for one of them. Get in touch with your local council (or whatever the equivalent for your area is) for more details.

3. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

thank you!! i had no idea those existed :bowdown:

4. tehaviator

tehaviator what u think badass that me

get teh patch

5. tehaviator

tehaviator what u think badass that me

I wish they had a patch for teh booze :rofl:

6. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

maybe stop asking people to buy you cigs? The best way to stop is to distance yourself from them.

I quit while I was in hawaii...it was easy when packs were 6+ bucks. Then I just carried the mindset with me. Its also alot easier to quit when you have a friend that quits with you.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I was the same way, started right when I turned 15 and I'm 19 and just quitting for the first time right now. It's been a few weeks but I'm staying strong and it's actually pretty easy most of the time. Back then I cuoldn't have imagined quitting because I felt it made me look cool, or hard, so when I had to take the bus through bad neighborhoods and stuff I felt like I was less likely to get messed with (but in reality no other kids messed with me because I'm really tall and dressed scary ghetto). I guess my addiction was less physical, but believe me, I would walk the dog every night just to smoke a cig before bed, and I was pretty stuck both physically and mentally.

Best thing you can do is stay away from the people who buy it for you and the friends who smoke. Try to make new friends, and make sure you understand that smoking really isn't cool. No kids your age think you look cool doing it (except for other smoking kids), and people older than you think you look like a total fuckin idiot. It is dumb. It makes you stink. It makes your teeth yellow. It hurts your health and makes you weak. It makes you weak minded. You will be a slave to it until you quit. It gets harder and harder to quit the longer you go.

Throw away all your smokes and also all your lighters and matches. As long as you don't have them on you, you'll find something else to do quickly. I chew gum and when I'm really really fiending I'll eat a banana. Both work great, also toothpicks are good, just don't fall with one in your mouth.

Good luck, it won't be easy. You really have to realize and convince yourself that it's a stupid thing to do.

8. Metal

Metal Active Member

I started smoking when I was 18 and I quit smoking right before my 21st bday... so I consider myself pretty lucky. Now I feel so much healthier and better about myself in general... I now realize how dumb it was to smoke now that I'm living without it. It's hard at first, but once you get over that initial hump, it is a breeze.

Also, it's important for you to quit now because since you are still young you most likely have not caused any long-term damage to your health. The best piece of news that I got from the doctors was that since I quit smoking before I turned 21, I had not caused any harm to my health. :)

Good luck!! Use the support systems as much as you need to and as other people said, try the patch or the gum - it's better to put the money you spend on cigarettes into quitting instead of making yourself more addicted.

9. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

guys, i work at mcdonalds, i cant support myself buying nicorettee patches. thats a good idea tho.

i think its getting deeper for me. i just came back outside no more than 1 min ago from smoking two camel wides at once in under 4 mins, ive never been so light headed before.

guys i appreciate the help but ive just realized that until my parents cant sleep one night and find me out back at 1 in the morning desperately puffing away, or some guy from my church i dont get to go to often anymore sees me and calls my parents.....or basically till i get caught, ill keep doing it. i just bought my first carton of winston cigs. i just spent half my paycheck on smokes, and i need to pay back a certain individual 120 dollars.

i truely appreciate the advise and understanding, but i realized i cannot be helped until i am forced to.

my plan tho is to quit at 21 then start legally drinking

10. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

you my friend are addicted mentally... i'm 19.. i smoked off and on for about a year... and i finally quit about 2 months ago... even after that year, i don't crave cigs at all... once in a while i'll have a mental craving like after a good meal when i'm outside breathing in the nice cool air.... but it's never the nicotine craving...

anyways you just need to realize that it's in your mind and quit before you really do get addicted to the nicotine.

good luck

11. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

worst plan ever btw... by that time, you will probably be fully addicted and it will be 10x harder to quit.

12. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

An apparent addictive personality already looking forward to being a drunk :ugh2:

13. Metal

Metal Active Member

Don't make a plan like that.. you are just setting yourself up for disaster if you are going to replace the smoking addiction with a drinking addiction.. Get help before it's too late..

I know you said you won't get help until someone forces you to, but try and think about your future.. Do you have any hopes and dreams? Or are you just looking forward to turning 21 so you can turn into a drunk instead of a smoker? Chances are if you take that road, you will still be smoking while you are drinking and nothing would have been solved!

14. evh

evh Active Member

Just think about how dirty, disgusting, and unpleasant ciggarettes are. Then think about how much they cost. :ugh:

It'll make you quit real fast.

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

You're just young and weakminded dude.

I just told myself there was nothing wrong with smoking, and "we're all going to die some day" etc... and for the first couple years it was really like, unless my parents caught me, I didn't see myself quitting. They never caught me and I'm pretty sure don't know I smoked for the last 4 years. Even though you feel like you love cigarettes so much that you want to accept your fate as a smoker, that really isn't the case. One day, maybe not soon but it will come, you will regret that you ever started smoking. You will regret that you didn't quit at this point right now, when you know you should quit but you didn't. Then you're either going to have a lifetime of struggling with the addiction and the sickness, stench, and weakening-effects of being a smoker on the scale that you smoke, OR you will end up quitting 10 years down the line, live the rest of your life craving for cigarettes, have possibly diminished health from the smoking you've done for those years, and will have wasted a shitload of money on it.

You can quit in the future and make a recovery from the health effects and eventually you will have less trouble with the mental aspect... but why put yourself through that? If you think quitting now is hard then just think how hard it will be in a few years. It gets harder the longer you wait.

If you weren't considering quitting or even wanting to quit then I wouldn't be saying all this, but since you're wanting to quit and just having a lot of trouble, I think the best thing to do is just man up and do it. You're smart enough to realize how dumb it is and that it's not worth it, you're just not strong minded enough to feel like life can be good without blowing smoke all over the place. I know the feeling, and I tell you it would have been much easier to quit then than it is now. It's your life and you can do what you want, but don't you want to do what you know is smart?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2006