MIL I'll soon be military crew

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Militant, Sep 25, 2007.

1. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

Gonna do reserves then get into the ROTC program and if by some divine miracle i can get into west point ill do that. I hope I can get 4 years active in after college.

I was gonna jump straight into college but I know I would regret not doing it if I didn't.

:wavey:

edit: Enlisted today 2007,09,29

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  2. drklrdbill

drklrdbill Pimp

SMP program pays well with ROTC. If you get into west point, you WILL be doing active duty for 4 years, and most likely with ROTC if you request Active Duty, you'll get it. Some of the guys in my battalion requested reserve duty, but got put on active duty. But, everyone that requested Active got it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. But yeah, if I could go back in time I would have done SMP. It's a great deal, the money from ROTC alone is good enough, but with reserve pay, FTW.

3. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

4. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

reserves to rotc can be a tough one

5. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I was under the impression that it wasn't all that uncommon to do reserves and ROTC

Also drklrdbill, it almost seemed like common sense to do it if what I wanted was also some loot for college

6. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

In your situation it should not be that bad.

Mine was a bit more complex

7. Artanis

Artanis New Member

good luck man, I'll be joining military crew in 5 days :noes:

8. drklrdbill

drklrdbill Pimp

Yeah, there is a program for it. It's called SMP, it was pretty common in my battalion

9. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I'm doing MEPS tomorrow

I reserved some random 6 week training job so I can start college sooner. Once I'm contracted ROTC the job wont matter much I was told.

10. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I'll be doing the job for one weekend at the most so I can at least get 50% of the bonus before I do ROTC...

It's a transportation management MOS and only takes 6 weeks of AIT

I'll be back in time for college in August and getting shit movin faster.

11. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I'm going reserves. Even if I did do it in Iraq it's nothing crazy which is another reason I chose it before another one of the short AIT ones. That's only if I get deployed within a month out of basic tho... I already qualify for ROTC

I also started some training program so I can go E-3 into basic. Right now im below low at E-1

12. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

An Army reservist not in Iraq? :hsugh: Also pretty bullshit how the Army lets people jump in as E3s.

13. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I'll be ready to go if it happens. I'm not joining not expecting the possibility. Even if it is bullshit why not take advantage of it lol

14. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

there was this loadmaster i work with who had the same plan, join the reserves, go to school, get a degree then get a comission and to go UPT. all was well until 2001 when the unit got activated. the Person made it, they are a pilot now, but it took about 4 years longer than they thought it would. just be prepared for any eventuality it might not go according to your plan. best of luck though!

15. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

:hsugh: you get you what you earn

16. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

if they consider some march/formation and whatever classes and qualifying for the AIT fitness a suitable amount for a PFC promotion why not?

I do understand what you mean I guess, but if some people that get promoted truly don't deserve it they'll eventually wash out anyways.

17. HatShapedHat

HatShapedHat Active Member

if you're reservist army you probably should choose your job more carefully because you WILL be deployed...just pray everything works out with rotc...then while you're in college i don't think you can be touched...*but don't quote me on that*

18. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

:wtc: My brother is in AIT right now, at his graduation he told me he was honestly afraid of some of the people graduating basic. Not afraid fear wise but afraid one day he'd end up having to fight with someone like them by his side. I've talked to him a few times and he told me it's not as bad but I can at least promise you I'll always try and put my best into my military career, I would not have enlisted otherwise.

I understand this, I chose the best option available in case I was deployed. I fucked up on the ASVAB and got a 77 on it though, I'm sure I would of had some better options if I would have done better. You are correct as well, once a contracted ROTC cadet you cannot be deployed.