COMIC I'll never be content with my current pull list

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by void, Aug 22, 2006.

1. void

void oh yeah?

True Story :hsd:

since i was out of the game since I was a youngster, i dove in head first, spent countless hundreds on comics, and have amassed a huge collection in 7 months. i literally have 100 comics on my computer desk awaiting my new mylites.

thing is, that i never seem to be content with the runs i'm involved in. as soon as i finish back-collecting a series i'm into...i just move onto something else. in the meantime my pull list is getting pretty expansive. i finished wolvie vol 2 first, then new avengers, agent x, punisher max, ex machina, and other various minis and small numbered series and crossover events. i'm 30 books away from a finished daredevil vol 2, less then 10 away from finishing both ultimate x-men, ultimate FF, invincible, and a few more for the walking dead.

and what do i do...i buy up a 16 book lot of Y: the last man. i've never read it, but i guess i have to buy up all 40 some odd other issues of that. WHY can't i be happy with what i'm currently on!? :hs:

2. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

just buy everything

3. void

void oh yeah?

that's the idea

4. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

You won't regret Y The Last Man

5. void

void oh yeah?

no i don't think i will, i've been hearing good things

6. mooredodge

It's my 3rd fav indie, right after TWD and Invincible

7. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

I wish I had a pull list since 1942.

8. void

void oh yeah?

all i need to find is the first few issues of invincible and i can start reading them :o

9. void

void oh yeah?

wolverine had a pull list in 42

10. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

I don't use Wolverine in X-men Legends II out of principal.

11. void

void oh yeah?

my roomate moved out and took his PS2 when i was about 5 hours into that game :hs:

12. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

Preach it. That's exactly what I went through too. I spent $80 the first day I stepped back into a comic shop, and it went downhill from there with the pulls. However recently, I've had to curb my spending. In doing so, I have had to critically think of what I really wanted out of comics. Granted, this didn't happen all of a sudden.

It started about 6 months ago. I knew what was going to happen and that I was going to be destitute-poor in the future. I knew I was going to have to cut my spending by a LOT. So no more fast food, no more excessive acceleration/speeding, no movies, etc. But I had to keep my comics. However, that was the biggest money-sink I had. So I decided on an arbitrary $50 to keep for comics. (I had to sacrifice my toy collection though :wtc:)

I had to evaluate comics after that. First, I looked at all the minis. Generally, they all suck. However, you get a few gems every now and then, like DKR and such. I decided that I'm only going to collect 1 mini at a time from Marvel and 1 from DC. That way, I'll critically choose the most likely to form a great story. Then, I decided that I'd split my Marvel and DC collecting habits to equal portions. That didn't work too well.

I am an Ultimate Whore. After all that, I had to choose which Marvel ongoings I was really enjoying, same with DC. However, I had to decide if new upcoming ongoings are going to be worth it or not, i.e. Wonder Woman and Ghost Rider. Everything else was dropped as soon as the current arcs were finished.

I have to admit, after narrowing my habit to $50 a month, I really appreciate what little I get now. Maybe if you did this too (just for a quick humbling experience), you might be able to focus your sights on what you truly need.

However, you seem to still be in the phase of buying up tons of backissues. I finished all my hunts about a year ago. Sure, there are still a few series that I wish to own...but I'd rather pay twice has much for them when I have 10 times as much money in 6 years. But for advice, I say buy what you want to have. You will rarely regret those, I haven't.

edit: My god, this took me 13 minutes. I hope you appreciate this Void... :hsd:

13. void

void oh yeah?

i've got 20+ books on my pull list, but a good chunk are either minis or titles i wouldn't usually buy except for who's writing them now (brubaker with uncanny, and carey with x-men come to mind...i probably won't keep picking them up once thier runs are finished).

i too have become an ultimate whore, but there no way in hell i'm dishing out countless hundreds to pick up ultimate spider-man. i started with the ultimate deadpool arc, and i'll most likely be finished with it after the clone arc.

i just want to get to a point where i don't have to hunt up lots on ebay, and can just rely on my local shop.

14. Bobbot

I got in at issue 24 of USM, so the backissue lots weren't too expensive. Just oh...$400. eBay ftw! I need the white variant though. Freakin all of them are graded now! WTF!

15. void

void oh yeah?

:roflw:

i was surprised how inexpensive the back issues of UXM were, i picked up 1-50 for about $60ish with shipping, from buying mixed lots. the last grab was yesterday i got 36-49 for $4.51 w/ $8 shipping :eek3:

16. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

Is it bad that I have 90 of the 98 Ultimate Spidey's? :(

90 comics X $3 = $270 + tax.

17. mooredodge

:eek3:

:bowdown:

I'm just getting started on UXM, since kirkman's writing now. Which means I must have all the back issues too. :wtc:

18. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

I would eat an orphan for all the variant number ones. Thank you mooredodge for the Spidey #1.

19. mooredodge

I'll give ya $50 for them. :x:

20. mooredodge

No prob. :bigthumb:

21. void

void oh yeah?

in the past 7 months i've probably bought more then 550 comics.

550 X 2.99 = 1644.50 :wtc:

thank FUCK for eBay :embd: i've probably spent less then half of that :bowdown:

22. Bobbot

I've got full runs of each Ult series except Adventures and Team Up.

23. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

I currently have 1584 books in my closet. I refuse to do the math.

24. mooredodge

I've bought my entire collection since April. That's about 2,700 books. :hs:

edit- not counting last weeks purchases, that's $4,996.81 in guide value. Luckily I didn't pay that much.

edit 2- upon further reflection, that's only 1,472 of my books. I still need to add the rest. :wtc:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  25. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

I'll trade you closets?