ill give you $12,5 ... the best i can do sir is 13,3 ... no sale..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Fareo, May 25, 2009.

1. Fareo

Fareo New Member

[​IMG]

i was just thinkin about it the other day and it makes no sense to me why in the year 2009 we are still haggling car prices? they thought we would be driving flying cars by now and yet were still driving 4 wheeled machines and using the same process for selling bread in the 1800s?

if you went to target and said id like to pay $2 for this large bag of chips they would look at you and say "thats nice... they are $3.49" ... and we've grown to the point that buying groceries is a simple "stop an pop" at your local store. so how many bags of Doritos do you think they would sell if you went in and said you would pay $2, then they said "hold on i have to talk to my manager"" ... "he says we can do 2.75" ... and this happened every time you wanted some chips, would you buy chips as often as you do now? i doubt it...

so i understand the whole competitive angle of selling cars and how they make commission from the sales and thats how they make big bucks but doesn't seem that car sales pretty much caters to the salesmen and not the buyer? does it not seem like going to the dentist to even just go look at a car? "oh crap here comes one of the sharks just tell him were only looking honey"... so thinking about it, how many more cars a month would a dealer sell if it was like buying a bag of chips? you walk in ...

"can i get a 6 pack of coke and 2004 chevy malibu?"
    "ok sir that'll be $12,479"
    "ok heres my card"
    "alright heres your recepit, thank you for shopping at Chevy have a nice day"

obviously thats an exaggeration but you get my idea :o

maybe im off my rocker but i just think that car sales would go up even in this economic crisis if buying one was like shopping at a retail store... i know carmax exists and i bought my current truck from them, however, im not at all saying they are gods gift to automotive sales i had some issues with them and they are still just a used car dealer but at least they're stance on price easy. typically they sell for right around blue book on the cars because they get them for less and its really painless to get setup buy it. my issues were after i bought it...

i donno i could rant for other 4 pages but ill stop, what do you guys think? is it time for the automotive industry to recognize that its not 1809 and that its 2009 and make car buying a happier / easier experience?

:dunno:

2. caddymac

caddymac New Member

I think GM tried the no price haggling thing with Saturn. We all know how that turned out.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I can see going to a fixed-price system for NEW cars, but for used cars it will never work. There's too much variance in used cars even when looking at two identical vehicles (same year/make/model) -- mileage, mechanical condition, and physical condition from one car to another makes pricing far too arbitrary.

If we weren't haggling on them, sellers could ask whatever outrageous/unreasonable price they want to ask without taking residual depreciation or condition into consideration. A car in poor mechanical condition could end up costing more than buying one in good shape for a little bit more money.

4. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

People are used to haggling anyways. A drastic change will confuse the shit outta people and will still get people trying to haggle.

5. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Sound like you're just uncomfortable bargaining. Probably a more shy person? Its not a big deal to haggle, just remember that at the end of the day you two can just decide that you can't work together.

6. J_75

J_75 New Member

I have no problem haggling, I just don't like wasting a shitload of time.

I went with a friend to buy a small boat a few weeks ago, and the 1 hour I thought I was going to give up on my sunday turned into 5 hours because of all the back and forth bullshit we went through. The only reason I went with him was because he wanted someone to follow him in the highway because his trailer lights weren't working and he didn't want to get pulled over.

Long story short, she salesman decided to pull some bullshit about "forgetting to add a service charge" when they had orginialy agreed on a price. So for next 3 hours I listened to them argue back and forth about adding this charge, and taking off that charge, and getting a discount because he was such a good customer, and speaking to the sales manager, etc.

Was it a shitty dealership? Absolutely
    Should my friend have walked away when they changed the price on him? Maybe....it was a good price, but I would never go there again
    Is my story unusual? Nope...happens every day

Why do we have this culture of bullshit when it comes to buying a vehicle? This isn't just haggling, this is just out-and-out scamming.....this isn't a back and forth over price, this is changing prices after they have been agreed on because they think they can get away with it. And on top of that, haggling doesn't take 3 hours.

I'm a little wound up over the whole ordeal of wasting that much time, but still.....:rolleyes:

7. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Haggling can be a very easy process.

I walked into a dealer, told them what I wanted to buy, how much I was willing to pay and told them I didn't want to go through the "let me go talk to my manager" cat and mouse game. I gave the salesman my phone number and walked out and he called me before I got home. I went back in the next day and hammered out a deal in about 15 minutes.

8. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

yup. it can be this easy.

haggling is tons of fun though i get off on it :mamoru:

9. BOTLD92Z

BOTLD92Z OT Supporter

When I went to go buy my 06 GTO they gave me such a good deal I just bought it and didn't even haggle with them other than not paying the dealer fee. I paid about 9 grand under sticker. A buddy of mine got a slightly better deal a month or two later but had to drive to Georgia.

10. GQ

GQ OT Supporter

i worked at a car dealership as a salesman for approx 3 months just to try it out thinking that i might enjoy myself in being able to take home w/e car i wanted, get exercise outside walking around nonstop, and basically try to be a decent people person in order to sell.

long story short, the job is shit and it comes down to what your conscience tells you vs. if you want to make enough money to live. personally i could've probably made a fairly good living doing it, but in the back of my mind and how i was raised i really couldn't sleep at night with what the dealership management was trying to pull off on anyone walking through the door.

btw......if you do decide to buy from a dealership, the first thing you should ask your car salesman is if they know anyone by the name of Jim Zeigler...if they smile or say sure.....turn around and walk away.

11. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I mean I just tell them what I am willing to pay. If they pay no attention I didn't do my homework. If they complain then I stand on that price out the door. They will always side with making a sale over making less profit. Today its hard to get a huge used car discount but new car discounts are all up to you.

12. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I like haggling.

Those who don't suck at it.

13. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

+1

I never pay asking price. :p

14. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

I have a dream.

in my dream you place an order for the car you want online.

car dealerships don't have hundreds of cars rusting in an open lot.

'course I'm a crazy mofo

15. Dumbstixlars

And be able to option it out exactly like you want (cause I don't like power windows).

16. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

:rofl:

you wernt a very good salesman, were you :rofl::rofl::rofl:

profit isn't a dirty word :wavey:

17. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

I've done enough test drives and haggling to know the game... quick story...

So my dad was looking to get a car since my parents recently moved to florida, so he knows i know how to deal with car dealerships, so we went for a test drive on a car he wanted to check out...

so we get there, find the car we wanted, guy comes out to help us... we'll call him Jim. No price written on it, so we ask... guy says he'll have to check but wants us to go for a test drive first... so i ask again, what's the price, says he has to check the computer, but he'll do that after the test drive... i don't like him already and i don't like where we're going... dick pants go on...

so we go for the test drive, car seems fine, 2007 with 12k miles, but i want some numbers...

we go in, guy asks for my dads info, name, number, the usual stuff, then asks if we're ready to finance... we still don't know the price of the car... dick pants are ready, let the games begin...

me: so what's the price of the car
    jim: i'll have to check with the manager, throw me a number...
    me: $7000
    jim: :ugh:
    mom: :hsugh:
    dad: :hs:
    me: i know how this works, i name a number, you go talk to your manager come back with another number, i name another price, you go to your manager and we do this till the manager comes out and says he can't run a business if we go with prices that low... so... lets cut to the chase... i don't want to waste your time or ours...
    jim: let me talk to my manager...
    we wait like 5 minutes...
    jim: $17000 + tax + title + license
    me: okay, so what's the best possbile price of this car, we can get a new one for a few grand more...
    jim: throw me a number...
    me: $8000
    jim: :squint:
    me: you asked...
    another 5 minutes
    jim: manager said we can knock off $500
    me: $11000
    jim: i'll go talk to him... *mumbles* at least we're over $10k
    manager comes out
    manager: who's the guy throwing these numbers out, i want to shake his hand... listen, i can't go that low, i wouldn't have a business, yada yada yada...

me: :hsugh:
    jim: :eek3:
    parents: :rofl:

car is honestly worth about $12.5 or so... but they wouldn't be straight up with us, so fuck em... the last 2 times i helped someone buy a car, i've been was off by $400 the first time and $200 the second time as to what we'll pay when everything is said and done... i could've written a price down on a piece of paper, put it in an envelope before going to the dealership and opened it up after everything was said and done... i know how the stupid little dance works, been there done that, just be straight up with me... i got better things to do...

if it was just me, i would've turned around and left the dealership if they didn't tell me the price to begin with, but my dad wanted to check out the car ...

in short, it's a huge waste of time, and sadly it needs to be done... just have your dancing shoes ready...

18. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

i enjoy the process

i just set a low number and stick too it until they give me the car for that :rofl:

19. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

wait, there are people who actually do?

20. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

More than you might imagine, sadly. I've seen some people make extremely STUPID deals on cars.

21. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

An some pay a "market adjutsment" on top of sticker.

:rofl:

22. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The only reason you don't haggle for a bag of chips is because the investment in extra time isn't worth the money you'd save, whereas when you're buying a car you can save thousands of dollars on a purchase that will last a decade, so a half-hour spent bullshitting on price isn't that much.

That being said, I'm sure you've walked into a 7-11 and said "$4 for a bag of beef jerky! Fuck that, I can get it for $2.50 at the drug store," and you walk out. It's the same thing. If you don't want to haggle, buy a car online. Most dealers that specialize in moving product online charge a flat fee above cost.

23. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

I agree the process is archaic, but I'm not entirely against haggling. What I hate is when shady dealers try to fudge numbers thinking they'll get away with it. When I bought my 8 I got it for the price I wanted, but had to deal with an asshole finance manager that tried to twist the paperwork to reflect the original price hoping we wouldn't notice in the process. When I called him on his BS, he tried to act as though we didn't have a deal at the price confirmed earlier, I left, they called the next day with the correct papers. I shouldn't have bought it from them after that bullshit, but the price I set was excellent and I'd managed to let myself fall in love with the car :o. I'm still pissed it cost me 2 days of my time, but in the end I shaved about 2k off their asking price and got what I wanted. Haggling can be useful for a lot of people, but there needs to be a better way for those not proficient at it.

24. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

Why?

let the dealership make the profit off those people not you :mamoru:

25. Dumbstixlars

Unbelievably yes. :greddy: