GUN Il. cunt err candidate wants AWB

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Oct 11, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CAMPAIGN 06

Gun law heats up race for Congress
    Roskam challenged on assault weapons
    By John Biemer and Christi Parsons
    Tribune staff reporters
    Published October 11, 2006

After a series of school shootings nationwide, Democratic congressional candidate Tammy Duckworth called Tuesday for "sensible" gun laws while accusing her Republican opponent, state Sen. Peter Roskam, of being a "rubber stamp" for the National Rifle Association.

She pointed out that Roskam is "at odds" with Henry Hyde, the man they're trying to replace in the 6th Congressional District, on the federal assault-weapons ban that Republican leaders let expire two years ago. Hyde, who endorsed Roskam as his successor, broke party ranks to support the federal ban on 19 kinds of semiautomatic assault weapons.

Roskam voted against a similar measure in the state legislature more than a decade ago and opposes the federal ban, which Duckworth supports. Roskam believes in enforcing laws already on the books to "keep guns out of the hands of criminals who'll abuse them and commit crimes," said his spokesman Ryan McLaughlin.

"Every gun can be considered a weapon, and what families in the 6th District want to make sure is those who use guns in violent crimes are penalized," McLaughlin said. "And Peter Roskam's record on that is very strong."

Duckworth, surrounded by Illinois Fraternal Order of Police President Ted Street and Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said at a Lombard news conference that Roskam is "not looking out for the best interests of the 6th District." Instead, he is doing the NRA's bidding in return for campaign contributions and foot soldiers in the GOP campaign, she said.

"He's voted consistently against sensible gun laws and it's basically whatever the NRA wants, Peter Roskam will vote for," Duckworth said.

Since the assault-weapons ban expired, gunfire has again become the leading cause of death for police officers in the line of duty, surpassing motor-vehicle accidents, Street said.

"I have seen the effect of those weapons in military combat, and I can tell you there's no place for them in our communities or on our streets," Duckworth said, citing her experience in Iraq as a member of the Illinois Army National Guard.

Duckworth also supports the Brady Law, which requires background checks for gun purchases from federally licensed firearm dealers.

Roskam has been the point man on several initiatives of importance to gun-rights groups in the Illinois General Assembly.

As a compromise last year, he sponsored a plan that included a measure to close the so-called "gun-show loophole," which allowed people to buy guns at shows without an instant background check as long as they had a firearm owner's identification card. But he tied that to a provision requiring the destruction of state records on gun sales, a database the NRA believes authorities use to harass and monitor law-abiding gun owners.

After some legislative maneuvering, the records-destruction part was not enacted into law, but gun-rights advocates credit Roskam with sparking an intense debate over gun control--and firing up their members for the current campaign season.

He has managed to pass several NRA-backed bills to improve background checks for gun purchases and to reduce access by criminals and other ineligible buyers.

"As a lawyer, Peter understands the law and that words mean things," NRA spokesman Todd Vandermyde said. "He has worked to craft and build support for laws that are effective."

The school shootings, including the killing of five Amish girls in Pennsylvania, are a reminder of the need for "common sense" gun laws, Helmke said.

Although the assault-weapons ban may not have prevented that tragedy, it could have applied to a 13-year-old boy who fired an assault rifle Monday in a Missouri middle school.

"You're never going to be able to stop everything but we make it too easy in this country to get the weapons that are going to cause the damages," Helmke said.

2. reman

reman New Member

bitches

3. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

when are people going to realize that the majority of gun crimes in the country are not cause by "assault weapons"

i mean fuck, people who know nothing about guns hear this kind of shit and automatically agree that assault weapons are evil, dangerous, and get used all the time. I wish people would take the time to educate themselves before they go off talking shit about something they know nothing about - and this is 10x more important when you are in a political position and your voice gets heard. Look at the fucking facts

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

From 1995-2004 an average of 54.5 officers were killed each year by firearms. 73% by handguns which would be largely unaffected by an assault weapons ban. In that 10 year period 545 officers were killed by firearms, only 313 were wearing body armor. The FBI doesn't seem to have published the 2005 LEOKA report yet, at least on their website. The Officer Down Memorial Page however shows a total of 156 officers dying in the line of duty in 2005. Of those 52 died from gunfire.

Illinois Fraternal Order of Police President Ted Street seems to be attempting to use statistics in a deceiving fashion. While it appears as though more officers died from gun fire in 2005 than automobile accidents, it is not because gun incidents are more common, it is because automobile accidents declined from 48 in 2004 to 33 in 2005. Perhaps Mr. Street shouldn't be campaigning for gun control as much as he should be praising officers for buckling up and driving safer.

souce: FBI's Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted 2004
    http://www.odmp.org/year.php?year=2005

5. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'm betting if an AWB came up right now, it would get pushed through pretty easy. It's the perfect time with all the school shootings (which is still statistically ZERO)

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I think it could be brought up as soon as the coming Congress if the Dems win. Bush said he'd sign it, so the Dems might just call his bluff on it.

I've been buying all the mags and stuff I want over the last few months, and will continue to do so.

7. Basic

Basic OT Supporter

:rofl: its like this dick here who wants to ban semi-auto UZI's and AK's :hsugh:

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

If there's a ban, do you guys think it would cover M1As?

9. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I think that the school shootings are making more people realize that we have to start waking up and give people the means to defend themselves.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hard to say atm depends what they decide to make there criteria to be considered an "assualt weapon" the only thing that saved it last time was it doesn't come with a pistol grip otherwise it met the criteria, removable hi cap mags? check, bayonet lug? check, flash hider? check.

11. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Any new ban will be much worse than the last one. I wouldn't be suprised if semi-auto AK's were included in the new one, along with any rifle mags over 10 rounds.

12. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Looks like I need to find some money soon. Hopefully not.

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I really don't see that. A lot of people have totally the wrong mindset to see that truth. Plus with all the missinformation being spewed by the anti-gun crowd, it's only a matter of time.

14. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Daut

Most people think the best way to stop gun violence is by adding more laws until we arent allowed to own guns, rather than just stop all illegal guns at the source. Its alot easier for a politician to piss off a few and make a law that wont work than to spend alot of taxpayers money and do what needs to be done, which is totally cracking down on illegeal gun runners, like Hoover did on gangsters

God, I wish we had a dedicated guy like that running the ATF. Shit would actually get done

Edit: any grandfather clause talked about being in there? I wouldnt wanna try to buy more guns if they try real hard to push one

15. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Go to the main forum and make a pro grun thread. From what I've seen most of the people seem to be in favor of guns with a couple of dumbfucks (usually from the UK or Cali) that keep trying to spew anti gun bullshit. :dunno: