IL-2 Sturmovik:Birds of Prey

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by blackrat, Aug 28, 2009.

1. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

Anyone else download this yet? It's on Live and probably PSN as well. Not quite sure what to think of it. Visually it's beautiful with the detail of the ground and the overcast skies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[y]VBqW1QIQ5NM[/y]

I'm not happy with how they have differentiated between the three sim levels. On arcade it's like Ace Combat, you can do whatever you want airspeed be damned. At one point I flew straight up for about a minute before putting it into a dive. The air speed gauge went over 1000 before just clicking into ----. Guess it gave up. It's way over the top.

One step up, realistic, is a big jump. Accomplishing a immelman takes a lot of effort and a ton of speed. Trying to do any movements that require more than 75% of the stick to be moved usually throw you into a stall that you may be able to get out of if you are really high up. I haven't been able to shoot down anything besides bombers and tanks, fighters are next to impossible. You will die more by your own fault than by getting shot down.

The last level, Sim, is even more so. Trying to accomplish anything other than flying in a straight line will send you into a spin that you won't be able to pull out of. I had the throttle pinned for several seconds and was never able to get up enough speed to do much of anything. I banked a few degrees to the left and somehow ended up in a flat spin again. :o

The way they set up the controls is retarded too. View, rudder, and throttle is all on the right stick. AC6's set up was a lot better with the yaw and throttle on their own shoulder buttons and view all to itself.

I've played a few computer sims and haven't seen anywhere near to this level of difficulty in flying around, although they were all modern aircraft. I'm guessing WW2 stuff is a lot more difficult to fly. This is almost to the point of frustration though. Still, the series is supposed to be one of the best on the PC and the potential is huge. Probably going to rent it and hope i can get over the curve with realistic mode. Arcade mode is too much so and a joke to play.

tl;dr version

PITA controls and physics, but beautiful graphics and a strong heritage behind it with the PC versions.:dunno:

2. charbaby

charbaby New Member

It does look great atleast. I would find it a pain in the ass... Last flying game I messed with is Crimson Skies for OG Xbox. LOVED that game:bowdown: the XBL play on it was sick
    Where is the sequel:hs:

3. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

Been meaning to at least give the demo a shot. Haven't gotten around to it though.

4. Pvt. Joker

Pvt. Joker RIP Nigger Jim OT Supporter

I grabbed the demo awhile ago. It was :bowdown: but at the time i was playing BF1943 a lot and my brain was used to using those fucked up controls

5. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

I loved the first :sad2:

6. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

I bought the first one, but after playing Falcon 4.0 for several years, I couldn't get into how clunky and shitty the WWII planes handled. :hs:

7. jero

jero Let me just put the tip in...

Loved the first as well on the pc. Great game. Stellar even.

Played the xbox demo. Liked it. Will play when it comes out.

Granted the controls could of used some work but honestly the flight sim selection of games on xbox is limited and im a closet flight sim junkie.

So yeah, im definitely amped for the game. Wonder why microsoft never brought out flight sim X for the xbox. Makes sense. :dunno:

8. Chanandler Bong

Chanandler Bong OT Supporter

played the demo.. deleted it after tutorials+first mission

i'm biased though. i love modern stuff, played ace combat 6 alot

9. W3rd

W3rd New Member

pretty decent semo, but not more than a rent for me

10. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

Il2 sturmovik is the most realistic sim out there, but birds of prey is a dumbed down version with less complexity and more arcade feel.gameplay... however it has better graphics as its on a new engine.

11. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

From what I've read even the PC reviewers are saying the console version is almost identical to the PC version when set to sim mode; they've sacrificed very little when it comes to realism. Maybe that's why it's so difficult to play with the pad. Didn't get the AC6 stick when it came out. :hsd: