IIS troubles

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Nocera, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Nocera

Nocera ...

I have 5 websites set up running under IIS 5.0 with Advanced Server. After a reboot of the computer, all sites usually run fine (bandwidth-wise). However, eventually, at least one of the sites will slow down to an unbearable speed where a single 35k page might take 2-3 minutes to load (on a T1 connection). All other sites continue to run fine. A reboot and restart of IIS will usually cure the problem. However, these slow downs occur with no warning and with no other bandwidth problems on the system. The Bandwidth Throttling setting in IIS will only work on static html pages. The graphics will still load slow.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

What about locally? I'm wondering if this is a bandwidth issue or not - a local read would eliminate this possibility.

3. Nocera

Nocera ...

Yes, access from within the LAN (with the domains mapped to their local IP addresses in each workstation's host file) is still slow.

I don't think it's a problem with the network. The sites that slow down are always the ones that have the least traffic. It seems like they develop a low "priority" as time goes on. Our one main high traffic site has never had a problem.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Instead of trying to test it from the LAN, try accessing the slow sites from the server itself.

I have never in my life came within 10 feet of an IIS server (on purpuse at least), so I dunno.

5. Dommi

Dommi Guest

how is the performance on the server.

perhaps the information that is being served is thrashed too much on the server
    causing the machine to run sluggish

thoughs for a solution. Assuming the specs on the machine are ok. assuming that the server is tweaked properly, I would probably take a guess that you need to increase processor throttling
    or read this link
    http://www.windowswebsolutions.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=16467

6. Nocera

Nocera ...

Performance of the server is fine but that's irrelevant anyway... Only one site comes to a crawl. The rest run beautifully. If it was a memory or processor problem, they would all slow down.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Is there anything unusual about the site? Plug-ins, SQL access... aside from it being not used, is there anything else that makes it different from the others?

8. Dommi

Dommi Guest

is your code kludge?
    if you use alot of server side coding that is poorly written that could cause a huge backflow of info into and out of the northside bridge
    are you using a sql dbase?

9. Nocera

Nocera ...

They are all pretty cookie cutter sites... ASP pages with server side includes... No database connections, etc. Nothing unusual on the sites which should slow them down.

5Gen: I already told Dommi but our one main high traffic site never experiences the slow down... It's only the ones that don't get much traffic. Almost as if the priority gets out of whack based on how much traffic the sites get.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

Would it be possible to stick those sites on another computer to see if it follows? At least temporaily? I agree it does seem to not only bandwidth throttle but also gives priority to the more used sites but I can't think of anything within IIS that would do that (although I've never run more than 1 or 2 sites off of one computer).

11. Dommi

Dommi Guest

12. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Jeeeze Dommi, you thought of everything.

13. Nocera

Nocera ...

It might have to come to that... However, we only have the one box with Advanced Server installed so I'd also have to do another OS install to try that. I have a few things to try on Monday (that being the last resort).

14. Dommi

Dommi Guest

funny thing is that I dont use IIS

15. Dommi

Dommi Guest

ok one more question...

are you using switches with spanning tree protocol enabled...

if so enable portfast...

16. Nocera

Nocera ...

Again, I'm not the network administrator so I have no idea how he has it set up.

However, that's irrelevant. All the sites are stored on the same box. All IP addresses would point to that box (which would be on the same network segment). If it was a problem with routing through the LAN, all the sites would be affected in the same way.

17. Dommi

Dommi Guest

sorry but that isnt really right

spanning tree protocol works like this
    on a switch, the best route is used to send information to nodes on a lan. a switch builds a spanning tree table, each node is given 1 ip in the table. if you have spanning tree configured incorrectly, the node may take as much as 30 seconds to converge in the spanning tree table and have information routed to it.
    port fast fixes that issue on a switch port by port basis

ask your net admin

18. Nocera

Nocera ...

Yes, but each site node should have the same path in the spanning tree table. Also, on a network with only 14 nodes, it's highly unlikely that it would take 30 seconds to find a path even if you have multiple loops in the tree. Also, for this network anyway, there would only be one switch between the main gateway switch and the web server. So that wouldn't explain there being delays from outside connections (unless the table was SERIOUSLY out of whack). Also, if the tables were incorrect, we'd see delays in connecting to our other file servers. Believe me, it's not a problem with routing through the network.

19. Dommi

Dommi Guest

ok... Im just tossing out ideas, bound to hit on something sooner or later.

20. Nocera

Nocera ...

Oh, and it also wouldn't be an intermittent problem either if it were an issue with routing....

21. Nocera

Nocera ...

And it's much appreciated :) Keep them coming...

22. Dommi

Dommi Guest

may I suggest this.

load testing on the box
    use something like this
    http://techlibrary.networkcomputing.com/data/jspdetail?id=1025228420_288&type=PROD&x=1807253914
    simulate the average tasks that your box goes through. run the gambit on each site till it reachs max capacity. throw in some screwballs, IE crashing a process or running a processor or memory intensive task.
    if you do this properly you should identify the problem
    remember this. there is no problem that isnt explained with something logical and reasonable. if this is indeed a problem with your web server software, then this should help to identify it
    oh and here is a stupid question
    have you kept up with the service packs for your box, as well as security hot fixes and updates?

23. Nocera

Nocera ...

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try to overload the low-traffic sites and see if that affects the usual high-traffic site. If it does, I'll know it's something with priority. I'm also going to disable the QoS service (if it's even running) to see if that cures it.

Yeah, the net admin keeps it up to date. I also checked myself on Thursday morning and it had all the latest updates.

Right now, all sites are running fine except one. Pages on the other sites (35-100k of data) load within 1-3 seconds. The home page of the slow site just took 1 minute and 20 seconds (85k of data).

24. Dommi

Dommi Guest

any word?

25. Nocera

Nocera ...

Just got out of a 1.5 hour long meeting. It doesn't seem like I'll be getting to website stuff today....... Probably tomorrow when the bosses are out of the office.