SRS Ignorance is not bliss...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Nyctrias, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Nyctrias

Nyctrias If I can't be my own...I'd feel better dead.

When did it become socially acceptable to just start ignoring someone you know pretty well? I don't mean they are super busy, just met a new crush or whatever, but completely and blatantly ignoring you. It's happened to me only twice, but I have to say it's pretty stupid and childish.

EDIT: The title is a play on words, people. That is all.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  2. Liquid_Vitamins

Liquid_Vitamins New Member

It's socially acceptable if you're 8 years old. After that it's just immature and useless.

3. artisan

artisan OT Supporter

Agreed.

4. johan

johan Active Member

when you get older your circle of friends expands to the point where you can't really keep in touch with everyone. Not tight anyways, not like the 'old days'.

Being pushed out to the fringes hurts, but it'd hurt less if you too were really busy with new friends, new activities...

get where I'm going with this?

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That's not an instance of "ignorance is bliss."

"Ignorance" doesn't mean "ignore."

The phrase "ignorance is bliss" means that dumber people are happier than smarter people because their lack of perception and cognitive abilities makes them less aware of the problems that exist around them.

6. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson New Member

:rofl: :werd:

7. Nyctrias

I understand what you're saying, but it's more than a simple case of drifting out of touch...2 people I knew pretty well (totally unrelated) just up and stopped talking to me at all.

8. Nyctrias

Thank you, I am completely aware of the difference. :coolugh: It's what you might call a play on words. I thought it was a better title.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  9. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Yeah! What he said! :rofl:

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I've had a friend that did this to me so I know what it feels like. I agree, it's childish and stupid and it hurts.

The guy that did it to me was one of my school buddies and would treat me like this then laugh with some of the other guys in our circle. These guys would tell me they didn't really understand it either and they would continue treating me normally. This guy would eventually come around but after the second time....I totally kept him at arms length and was very distant myself.

During the last month of my senior year, he started doing it again and even got one other team member to start talking to me rudely. They were laughing and how rude they would talk to me and I'd constantly tell them to stop. I would have completely removed myself from them but we were on a team working on our SR projects....so I simply quit meeting with them and just kept to myself. I haven't talked to either in over a month and I don't plan on it.

Here's the deal....some people think it's funny to treat people like shit then laugh about it. The target rarely sees it as funny. I refuse to be the target anymore so this friendship is over....even if this guy doesn't realize it yet.

I've got plenty of friends that don't treat me this way so when I find a person like this, I just move on.

11. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Yeah I sorta had the same shit happen to me. One of my best friends in high school would occassionally just up and forget I existed. It usually occurred when he was hanging out with my friends. I got the impression he was jealous of either me or of one of my friends, and wanted me out of the picture at certain points. It was fucking weird because I was really good friends with this guy the first 2 years of high school. Then he'd act normal afterwards like it never happened. It really fucked with my head for a while. Not long ago I found out he was talking quite a bit of shit about me to my friends too.

I still talk to him every once in a while but I never invite him to hang out with my friends anymore, and if somehow he manages to set something up with them and they invite me, I back out. I'm kinda pissed actually cause he kinda attached himself to the group tonite and I was bored and wanted to get outta the house. Worst part is I feel like my friends are either on his side of things or they are unaware. It really makes me quite paranoid but I don't feel like there is much I can do.

12. Nyctrias

Thanks y'all, I appreciate the responses. :cool:

13. Coottie

That's a good point because my friend that I previously described told me that he was jealous of me. He actually told me quite a bit about how the things I did just totally pissed him off....but at the time I never knew it was having that effect.

There's a lot more to it tho....my friend would never talk about shit that pissed him off. He'd just stuff his feelings then a week or month later, he'd get really pissed off over the slightest little thing. Try as I might, I couldn't get him to tell me when I'd done something wrong cuz I honestly didn't realize he was pissed.

Most times tho...he even admitted it was a nothing issue but other things in his life were pissing him off.
    One idea I try to live by is: What other people think of me is none of my business.

People will think what they want about us. Those friends of mine that are really close, call me when something doesn't match the person they know. It's really nice when friends do that and IMO that what being a friend is all about.

14. Kirby McSpic

Kirby McSpic New Member

I came here to post this. I agree.

Ignoring is a result of immaturity, not "Ignorance".

15. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Yeah it was kinda the same deal for me. The reason we got along well was cause we both kinda had the same personality. Very short temper but never wanted to admit what was wrong because that would mean defeat. We were kinda like rivals now that I think back, and honestly I loved competing with him over everything. He usually won, and it didn't really bother me because honestly I didn't feel ashamed being second to him; he was like an older brother. Then when I started making more friends and he had just gotten dumped by his g/f (a girl I introduced him to) I guess he started feeling like he was on the losing end more often and I guess thats when it started.

You mean when they confront you when you are acting not like yourself? Or something else?

16. Coottie

No I mean when this guy would talk shit about me, some of my other friends contacted me to get my side. I've had other friends like this and my real friends usually always tell me what's up.

17. Liquid_Vitamins

Liquid_Vitamins New Member

Did you do something really crappy? That's a weird coincidence wouldn't you think, 2 unrelated people leaving you out in the cold?

Sounds like middle school.

18. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Me and my brother has basicly ignored eachother for the last 6 months :rofl:

19. Coottie

I know right? Well it wasn't, it was University level and I've srsly out grown this type of drama. Now that I'm done with Uni also, I'm done with this friend also.