SRS If you're 21+ do you still spend Christmas/New Years with your family or SO?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jonari, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Jonari

Jonari Well-Known Member

My neighbor was complaining how her son doesn't want to spend Christmas this year with the family, but rather wants to go out to a party with his gf and his friends. I personally think he should spend the 1 time of the year with his family, and spend New Years with his girlfriend. What do you guys think?

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Does he never see them at all?

3. Jonari

Jonari Well-Known Member

He lives with them.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Oh, are you kidding me? Yeah, if he see's them on pretty much a daily basis I don't think he necessarily "owes" them anything. Sure, it would be kind of him to maybe spend part of Christmas with them but it's not like he has to do anything.

I'm ridiculously close to my family, but you better believe that at almost 24 the only holiday I'm going to really see them is Thanksgiving and Christmas. No New Year's Eve, no Flag Day, no Cinco De Mayo. The more he grows up they have to accept that he might choose to spend his holidays with his new "family" (i.e. girlfriend, possible future kids, etc.) and there's nothing wrong with that.

5. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

it depends on the person, their relationship with their family, etc. i don't believe there is a steadfast rule concerning it.

personally, my family celebrates christmas on the 24th. therefore, i spend that day with them and the 25th i spend it with the SO and her family. so that always works out well for me.

new year's is a toss up, most of the time i've spent it with my family, enjoying all our goofy family new year's traditions. however, i have no issue spending it with the SO or friends. my family won't exactly be ecstatic over it, but they'd understand. i still call them when the clock strikes 12.

it's something that i usually discuss with her anyways. i can spend some of the day with her and then visit my family after midnight or vice versa.

i'm lucky to have people who are understanding and it's not like i'm trying to ditch anyone, but sometimes you can't make everyone happy and they get that. haha, i think they get more upset over me not being there to make drinks more than anything :mamoru:

6. amourdoux

amourdoux New Member

I wasn't able to see my family on Thanksgiving, so I really hope I can see them for Christmas. I will bring my boyfriend with me. As for New Year's, I can spend it with my boy without any problems.

7. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I think I saw this thread in the main forum....

8. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

We alternate Christmases between our families. This year my family gets us for Christmas, his had us for Thanksgiving. New Years we spend however the hell we want.

We're married, too, though, so we probably dont count.

9. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I spend a little time at my moms then go to my dads for dinner usually

10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I would try to do both if possible. Obviously there is no right or wrong answer, but I think the more serious the relationship, the more likely they are to spend the holiday together.

11. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

I doubt the party is going to last all day so I'm sure he could at least spend the morning with his family :dunno:

I always spend at least part of christmas with my family. When I'm in a relationship I either spend the day with my family or we try to work it out to make it to both family's houses for dinner. New years isn't a family day at all.

12. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

My family is close so it would be weird not to spend Christmas with them.

13. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Well my SO is my family... but before we reached that point I spent it with her. We would go downtown and stay the night at a extravagant hotel hosting a suit and gown NYE party. Pretty sweet deal.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

I think the parents and kid should be able to plan the time so they both get the time they want. It's not right if he ducks out for the entire day, but it's also no right for mom to expect him to hang around the whole time. Why can't she plan it so it's all done by 8pm and then he can go out?

15. lamour

lamour New Member

usually xmas should be with the family or at least split between the too. how serious is hif gf? why cant they go to both her family and his?

16. NuShooz

NuShooz OT Supporter

I've actually always hated these obligatory family get-togethers. What makes 1 day so much more special than any other day? You can be with your family any of the 365 days out of the year.

My gf actually hates receiving gifts from me on her bday, xmas, etc., because she feels like it's forced due to the occasion. It's far more meaningful if you just want to buy something for your gf just because YOU want to...not because you have to.

17. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

usually you and your SO go to one or both families for dinner/gift exchange

18. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

also, christmas party is most likely evening, which means day with the fam? seems fine to me

19. Bib-Lettuce

Bib-Lettuce New Member

I guess I would spend some time with my parents even if I see them every day, seems right I guess. Even if it's only for a little while, after our family lunch though it's pretty much a normal day and we do whatever we want

20. hellagrant

hellagrant New Member

He is an adult and he should be able to choose what he does. If he doesn't want to spend time with his family than more power to him. Freedom is a lovely thing.

21. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

This is so subjective that the thread creator has just open tons of room for speculation and not much else.

Don't spend time with your family? Stay...

Spend too much time with your family? Go!

Not quite sure how you handled your time with either? Err on family, party on New Years.

Common sense, average thinking?

22. Dissent

Dissent OT Supporter

i would try doing both. Even stopping by for a minute would be best as well.

23. PanasonicYouth

PanasonicYouth New Member

I see my family every Christmas, but I live with five of my friends all year round, so one day out of the year it's quite nice to spend time with my family.

When I still lived with my parents I used to be itching to go out and meet up with my friends on Christmas day.

24. skierd

skierd Member

The only two times my extended family gets together is Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, so I still do those holidays with everyone. Christmas Day was for my father's mother, my father, and me but she passed away in October so its just me and him doing something tomorrow night. Not sure how that will end up working whenever I get a SO again, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it.

25. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce