MMA If you were to open up your own gym...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by MyLittleAirport, Jun 19, 2008.

1. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

-What would it be mainly focused on? BJJ, MMA, MT, etc.
    -How big would it be?
    -How much would you charge?
    -What kind of area would you like it to be in? (Suburbs, ghetto, downtown, etc.)
    -Add more things if you would like.

I think I would want to focus on BJJ mainly but add striking later on but that's not that important to me.

If I could, I would get a warehouse but if not, a medium size place that can hold at least 40-50 students on the mat is good enough for me.

I would charge like $100 per month, I think that's reasonable. I noticed that if you make the training too cheap, the everyday person would be less reluctant to come to train and if it's too expensive then it's a turn off for many people. I think I would put my gym downtown or next to a suburb.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I can't open up a gym, I'm a white belt

3. MyLittleAirport

You can open up a white belt only school. You could dominate the white belt tournaments across the nation!

4. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Id personally like to start some grappling tournaments like you guys have in the states.

As for a gym id probably keep it MMA I know some good BJJ and Wrestling guys (rarity in Aus) and also top level boxing coaches and some really experienced MT guys (K1 regulars). Obviously a few regular coaches running normal drills and sparring and the occasional guess coach.

Price not to sure id like to keep it cheapish and have beginners and kids classes which more advanced students can teach to subsidise membership costs.

suburbia/industrial areas would make the most sense.

5. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Where in Aus are you?

6. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

mt prolly

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Just moved to Melbourne from Brisbane.

8. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Ah. I was going to say that we have ties to Domination MMA, and that you should check them out.

9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

If I were to open my own gym I would want it to be similar to my current gym. Qualified instructors to teach quality BJJ and kickboxing (Muay Thai and Savate), with some MMA. Good kickboxing instructors could also teach cardio or conditioning kickboxing classes for the fitness crowd. I would like it to be bigger than my current gym though. My complaint about my current gym is that it is small now that we're getting more students (maybe it's the summer). Need bigger mat space, better locker rooms, more fitness equipment and more room for weights.

I would probably charge $100-125 a month and would prefer it to be in a suburbs area. Attract customers who are willing to spend money more easily.

10. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

A no-gi grappling gym in the suburbs that charged $70 a month. I'd throw in ground-and-pound, and if I could find a good instructor for it, I'd include standup. I'd try to keep the place mid-sized.

I'd also organize extra-curricular conditioning practices (road runs, sprints, functional weight lifting, crossfit, etc). And I'd recruit college wrestlers (cheaper monthly rate or something) to keep the level of athleticism, aggression, and skill high.

Oh man, I'm getting carried away here. I'd try to strive to minimize laziness, though. No individual breaks, if you can say "I can't breath" then you're lying, etc.

11. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Where are they? Im gym shopping atm im so out of shape and trying to get a fight in a show early nov.

12. MyLittleAirport

I was thinking that if I did have boxing/kickboxing/etc. classes, I would be having two classes at the same time so that the people that can't make it to the BJJ class at 5pm, they can make it at the 9pm BJJ class or something.
    One Class --------------------------------- Another Class going at the same time but at a separate area
    5pm - BJJ --------------------------------- Boxing
    6pm - Wrestling/Judo ---------------------- Kickboxing
    7pm - Crossfit ----------------------------- Crossfit
    8pm - Kickboxing -------------------------- Wrestling/Judo
    9pm - Boxing ------------------------------ BJJ

Something like this and I would like to throw some morning classes in too. Maybe a 6am Crossfit or BJJ class.

13. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah, my gym basically has two "areas". Alot of the time classes overlap. Check out the schedule on our website for the idea. And there is 2 days a week with morning grappling classes, but the majority are evening classes.

http://www.maunlimited.com/SCHEDULE.html

I think that is a better idea. There is really only one night that has double grappling, the other 2 times it is a morning and then later night session.

It's pretty good for a small gym size, it's definitely not a huge training center like some bigger pro team gyms obviously are.

14. MyLittleAirport

That's pretty cool and what I was looking for. I know that people can't make it to every night but I know at the same time, some people just can't make it certain days. So if I offer them the option of being able to go any night of the weekdays and still be able to go any of the classes, I think that would attract them.

15. MyLittleAirport

I'm the same way honestly but if you do that to beginners and noobies, you're going to scare them away and they're not going to come back. It's good for the competition team but its bad for business. :dunno:

I could see you having a "competition training" hour where you can push the guys because they are willing to be there and get pushed but I don't think the everyday person want's to be near death after every training session.

16. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Nights with "advanced class" are definitely more for working hard and the coach pushing you. Other more beginner nights definitely not so much, and never on newer people. "You pay me to do this to you" my instructor always says.

17. MyLittleAirport

Yeah, I still want beginners and advanced classes. My school has Beginners/Fundamentals, Intermediate, and Advanced BJJ classes and it works out great.

18. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

http://dominance.com.au/main/

Dave Hart (one of the bjj instructors) is a good friend of my instructors and a great teacher himself.

19. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

You have a point, and I'd agree with you in theory, but I've seen it working. With new guys.

The coach yells at them (without getting too mean) and the team supports them, even when they fuck up. It just builds a much tighter environment, and nobody slacks.

Besides, my ideal gym wouldn't be a money making machine, it would be the ideal place for me to train at.

20. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i'd open up a gym, but it would be no gi only, and i'd only teach my students the rubber guard, and i'd get a gay haircut and some horrible tatoos as well. It would be in vegas of course, or LA

:hsugh:

21. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:rofl:

22. MyLittleAirport

You need money to support your family and then to support the gym itself. It still is a business. I like your environment, don't get me wrong, its the same as it was in wrestling but a lot of people will be intimidated, some people just need to start out walking before they start running while others don't.

23. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Facilities - I'd want a place like my old gym...old packing house, ~12k sf plus a basement. Two huge mats, huge bag area with sufficient spacing/plenty of heavy bags/various specialty bags, decent size weight/cardio area with a pretty good selection of equipment, a ring, space for a cage. Room to expand if necessary. A little rough around the edges...not the newest or best equipment, but good stuff that stands up to use...a couple crappy swamp coolers to cool the whole place, so its always 5-10 degrees hotter than you'd wanna keep your house.

I'd want it to focus on mma and have legit instructors in several disciplines...bjj black belt, good boxing coach, crazy thai that likes to kick tires and barely speaks any english, and a wrestling coach with some credentials. Also a good strength and conditioning coach. I'd try to get instructors with mma experience. I'd try to attract enough fighters/serious competitors to always have good training partners around.

Basically a place fighters can call home...a one stop shop, where they can train in all disciplines and do strength/conditioning as well.

24. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

who cares what my gym focuses on when it'll have a kickass name and slogan:

Mickey's Triumph Gym - We Make It A Xyience of Tappingout Afflictions

25. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Not a person in here has talked about the financial aspect of opening and running a gym..

12k square feet? Yeah that sounds fucking awesome until you have to pay to heat it 14 hours a day in the Colorado winter. Huge mat and bag areas with weights and a cage and a ring? Cage is $6k minimum. Even if you buy old, used weight equipment (which is dangerous) - it is expensive.

What about insurance? That shit is HELLA expensive.

This is NOT to say this can't be done. Obviously it can cause there are so many gyms out there. but MOST gyms start small and work there way up. The only people who start big are the ones who already have a name (Couture).

Start small. Make it "part time" so you can teach almost all of the classes at night or have a buddy teach them so you don't have to pay him/her.

If ANYONE in the Cage Crew gets to the point where they want to start a business - PM me and I can write a business plan for you or help you out with a lot of the brainstorming and financing issues from the business aspect of it. I have experience with start ups.