If you were starting to program now, what languages would you start with?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Imp4kT, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Imp4kT

Imp4kT New Member

I've played with C++ and PHP and it was suggested to me that should learn PHP/Python/Ruby so that I'd be able to earn a bit of money doing projects, what does OT suggest I look at?

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

PHP is a nice place to start. Its just not a nice place to end up.

If you can handle Ruby, Ruby/RAILS will at least teach you something about how to really build applications, and RAILS is setup to be really unintimidating at first.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

COBOL if you wanna make $$$ :)

4. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

Well if you learn Java. You pretty much learn C# since they're so similar from what I've been told. So why not start there?

5. Imp4kT

Imp4kT New Member

I think being a programmer on someones payroll would be a nightmare, I can't imagine how horrible it would be to program something you weren't interested in.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

There's nothing worse than someone that learns Java first, and only knows Java, or only knows Java and C#. Those people are worthless developers and can ONLY work for big companies.

They're like fundamentalist Christians. They don't know any better and can't be taught.

So I recommend against Java first. Start with PHP. Its designed by and for retards, just understand that you need to learn more than PHP can teach you to be good at building software.

PHP->Java if you want to work in Java.

7. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Hmmmmmmm. Most of my enjoyment comes from actually writing the program. I don't really care what the end result is (I mean the topic or idea). I wrote it. I created it. I did it!

8. pkr

pkr Guest

[​IMG]

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Hey, to each his own. Some people really like solving little puzzles in arbitrary code. I ain't one of them, but thank god they're out there!

10. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I'm doing COBOL and I don't make $$$

only $$

11. White Stormy

fuck java

12. White Stormy

start with c/c++, learn some unix, then do php, learn ruby, perl, python, etc

maybe pick up assembly or machine code for shits and giggles

everything else is gaytarded.

13. Imp4kT

Imp4kT New Member

14. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Active Member

I think C is a great language to start with

As well as PHP

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Learn to run a C compiler on an abacus. Thats a good place to start. Or better yet, your first programming should be to build a mechanical difference engine and do some hard core number crunching.

You know, start at square 1.

16. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

learn from books or what?

17. White Stormy

I'd say find a college course's online web site that lists their projects for each language and try to run through their projects.. actually writing code. a language reference book will only be useful if you're already a programmer, or at least have a firm understanding of how that language works, and most beginner books are complete crap, so web tutorials might be better

18. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

Start with the hardware fundamentals. Learn how processors work. Then learn an assembly language and learn how that assembly gets turned into machine code (thats not hard, just look at the instruction set reference). After you have a firm grasp of a specific processors instruction set THEN begin learning C/C++, while taking special care to learn how each bit of code gets translated to assembly (you can turn on mixed mode to view both C and its associated assembly in many IDE's). From there if you choose to go to the higher level languages such as C# or VB or, god forbid, Java, you will have a solid grounding and an understanding of what your code is actually doing behind the scenes

This is how you become a good programmer. If you are writing in a high level language and can't tranlate that code to assembly you are not ready to write in that language (not saying you should actually do this, as it would be a nightmare for anything non-trivial, just that you should be able to).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
  19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Find a problem you want to solve is step number one. Then get a book, and learn to do what you want.

20. itchypony

itchypony New Member

1. PHP

What it is: An open-source, interpretive, server-side, cross-platform, HTML scripting language, especially well-suited for Web development as it can be embedded into HTML pages.
    Why you should learn it: Its particularly widely used. "High-speed scripting with caching, augmented with compiled code plug-ins (such as can be done with Perl and PHP) is where the future is. Building Web apps from scratch using C or COBOL is going the way of the dinosaur," said Duquaine.
    Job availabilities: 1,152*
    2. C#

What it is: A general-purpose, compiled, object-oriented programming language developed by Microsoft as part of its .NET initiative, it evolved from C and C++
    Why you should learn it: Its an essential part of the .Net framework. "Learning C#, which is just Java with a different name plate, is critical if you heavily use Microsoft," said Duquaine.
    Job availabilities: 5,111
    3. AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML)

What it is: Though technically not a programming language, AJAX uses XHTML or HTML, JavaScript and XML to create interactive Web applications.
    Why you should learn it: Ever since Google Maps put AJAX, well, on the map, the requests for AJAX-knowledgeable pros went through the roof. "The demand for AJAX knowledge is huge because its so damned hard to learn," said Huckaby. Of note, Microsoft announced recently plans to release a tool named Atlas that will make AJAX easier to implement. "If Microsofts Atlas tool is successful, it would bring the extreme complexity and annoyance of AJAX to the average worker," said Huckaby.
    Job availabilities : 1,106
    4. JavaScript

What it is: Not to be confused with Java, JavaScript is a an object-oriented, scripting programming language that runs in the Web browser on the client side. Its smaller than Java, with a simplified set of commands, easier to code and doesnt have to be compiled.
    Why you should learn it: Embedded into HTML, its used in millions of Web pages to validate forms, create cookies, detect browsers and improve the design. With its simplicity to learn as well as wide use, its considered a great bang for your educational buck.
    Job availabilities: 4,406
    5. Perl

What it is: Perl is an open-source, cross-platform, server-side interpretive programming language used extensively to process text through CGI programs.
    Why you should learn it: Perls power in processing of piles of text has made it very popular and widely used to write Web server programs for a range of tasks. "Learning some form of scripting language, such as Perl or PHP is critical if you are doing Web apps," said Duquaine.
    Job availabilities: 4,810
    6. C

What it is: A standardized, general-purpose programming language, its one of the most pervasive languages and the basis for several others (such as C++).
    Why you should learn it: "Learning C is crucial. Once you learn C, making the jump to Java or C# is fairly easy, because a lot of the syntax is common. Also, a lot of C syntax is used in scripting languages," said Duquaine.
    Job availabilities: 6,164, including all derivatives
    7. Ruby and Ruby on Rails

What they are: Ruby is a dynamic, object-oriented, open-source programming language; Ruby on Rails is an open-source Web application framework written in Ruby that closely follows the MVC (Model-View-Controller) architecture.
    Why you should learn it: With a focus on simplicity, productivity and letting the computers do the work, in a few years, its usage has spread quickly. As a bonus, many find it easy to learn.
    Job availabilities : 210 and 54, respectively
    8. Java

What it is: An object-oriented programming language developed by James Gosling and colleagues at Sun Microsystems in the early 1990s.
    Why you should learn it: Hailed by many developers as a "beautiful" language, it is central to the non-.Net programming experience. "Learning Java is critical if you are non-Microsoft," said Duquaine.
    Job availabilities: 14,408
    9. Python

What it is: An interpreted, dynamically object-oriented, open-source programming language that utilizes automatic memory management.
    Why you should learn it: Designed to be a highly readable, minimalist language, many say it has a sense of humor (spam and eggs, rather than foo and bar), Python is used extensively by Google as well as in academia because of its syntactic simplicity.
    Job availabilities: 811
    10. VB.Net (Visual Basic .Net)

What it is: An object-oriented language implemented on Microsofts .Net framework.
    Why you should learn it: Most argue that VB.Net is currently more popular than ever and one of the only "must-learns." "It is currently dominating in adoption and that is where all the work is," said Huckaby.
    Job availabilities: 2,090

21. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

How do you plan to make $$$ ?

Something that might be a good idea for me . . .

22. White Stormy

PHP/Python/Ruby are far more valuable than just allowing you to earn money doing "projects". there are plenty of full-time developer positions with these languages, and there will only be more in the years ahead.

23. i know some vb.net, and have been wondering how hard it'd be to branch out to another language.

24. White Stormy

very

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Just for god's sakes don't learn Java first and then go work as a Java developer for a bank or insurance company or whatever large enterprise. It will turn you into a useless automaton.