MMA If you were offered a fight that you're supposed to lose...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Mejnoon, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I dont mean a work, just a fight where you're being fed to a much more advanced/higher level opponent...somebody that the promoter is trying to build into a star...would you take it?

One of my training partners is in this situation. The money and the exposure would be good, but I don't see him having much of a chance (as much as I hate to say it). He's a good wrestler that just started training mma, hes 2-0 against far inferior opponents. The guy they want him to fight is a better wrestler that has been training mma with a very good team for several years. He's well known in the wrestling world but doesn't have many mma fights (3-0 or 4-0 I think).

Its obvious to me why they offered the fight to Mike. He took a fight on like a weeks notice in one of their recent shows...fought a boxer with no ground game. He ate several bombs before he got the guy down and pounded him out, so they know he's tough and has a solid chin. But they also know his wrestling wont hold up against their golden boy. They want an opponent that doesn't have a chance but won't go down easy.

Not to mention the fight is at 205, he walks around at ~240, and has ~1 month.

What would you do?

2. friedrice

friedrice New Member

Stop eating to start,lol. I say go for it, you only live once and anyone can loose on any givin day.

3. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

would be darn cool if he could pull it out and pull off the upset, good amount of weight to lose in a month but some time in the sauna does wonders, not exactly the best way to drop weight but we've all done it
    if he's a wrestler he's probably lost that much in a lot less thna a month lol

4. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

too big of a cut. nearly impossible. and even if he makes weight he will be hurting bad.

DO NOT TAKE THE FIGHT a loss on the record is not worth it. If they are not paying him out the ass its not worth the loss in his pride or the mental strain.

Then again he might win and take a big jump up.

some think that at the beginning stages its noa big thing to lose and its not but if you are tryin to make your living fighting having a pristine record is a big deal.

I personally would not if for no other reason than to make the weight he would have to fucking kill himself.

5. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

He usually fights HW

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

is he a solid 240 or is he flabby with plenty of fat and water too lose?
    if he's pretty solid forget it, that's too much to lose and feel decent, if he's in need of losing some anyway he can probably pull it off, wrestlers do it all the time no biggie
    would the win loss record bother him a bunch if he lost or not?

7. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

He'd be real solid at 225-230, so yeah, it'd be a tough cut.

Tryin to find a pic hang on

8. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

This was his first fight, I think he weighed in at ~245

[​IMG]

9. VulgarTheClown

I think its a bad idea.

10. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

a month to cut to 205!?!?!? and still be expected to perform !?!? im extremely green right now(no real fights yet) and i've gotta say that is a very bad idea. Just the energy its gonna take to cut that much let alone cut AND still keep up with training all in a single month is a fucking struggle and a half, a month of misery to say the least.

11. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

i don't fight but given that it sounds like he'd lose even if he didn't have to cut the weight (and will likely get murdered in the condition he'll be in after cutting) i wouldn't take it. what little money he'll make on it won't make up for the tarnished record, mental anguish and likely mass amount of punishment he's going to take in that fight.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

cutting 35 pounds in a month on the frame he has would be really tough to do and still have some energy, doing that and going into a tough fight, ouch that would be super rough, i wrestled a bunch (new to jiujitsu) and wouldn't want to wrestle under those conditions so i'd vote for him turning that down unless it's tons of $. if he was fatter i'd say go for it but he isn't carrying that much extra weight to drop that much that fast so i'd tell him it's a bad idea if i was you

13. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Yeah the cut is definitely the biggest drawback. I'll let you know what he decides.

And the opponent is Daniel Puder btw

14. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Unless they are paying him a boat load of $$, I don't see how it would be worth all the anguish it will take to drop that much weight in a month...

15. Bausk

Bausk New Member

You can't erase a loss on your pro record, so do what you can to come prepared to win every fight. Having to drop that much weight and already going into a fight you're supposed to lose doesn't add up to a winning formula. If I was serious about I fight career I wouldn't take the fight.

16. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

Training, ain't fighting. If you are getting paid, do it. As the underdog your boy has nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain. edit: Oops, didn't see the part about cutting 35lbs in a month. In that case I wouldn't. Now if it was 15lbs.....

17. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Thats pretty much the way I see it:dunno:

I know what everyone is saying about keeping a spotless record but I don't completely agree. I think fans and promoters know when a fighter's record is padded with cans...they respect guys who take tough fights win or lose. And most promoters remember when you step up and help them on short notice...

18. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

I think that's the way most of us look at it, I know I do but 35lbs in a month aint no joke, he would need to have started cutting the day he even got the offer to remotely be able to make weight. If he's still serious about it then fuckin pedialyte is about to become a REAL good friend of his.

19. VulgarTheClown

Promoters typically do remmber the guy that saves their ass but still 15-0 full of cans is alot better than 7-6 with alot of tough fights. If you are talkin money 6-7 will make 1/2 of what 15-0 makes.

20. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

He took the fight...I *think* at hw tho...trying to confirm...

21. VulgarTheClown

Best of luck to him then.

If he signed for a catch weight hopefully it was above 220.

22. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

No catch weight, its at heavy, so no cut. He's got a lot to gain and very little to lose, so I think he made a good call.