SRS If you truly believe that all human life is meaningless

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Changed, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

and all the actions taken by humans, ever, is pointless, what would encourage you to keep living?

2. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

The meaning of life?
    Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

-The Meaning of Life, Monty Python

3. Changed

Changed Guest

I did not make this post in this forum, but some moderator moved it for no apparent reason.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

I strive for knowledge. You can't learn when your dead (especially if you think that once your dead, that's it. Everything is done). It's sorta like only having one life in "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" back on Windows 3.1... the original.

With only one life left, wouldn't you want to make it to the end of the game and get away from captivity? I mean, even if I was going to die in that situation, I'd struggle for as long as possible to escape. Why not work your hardest and struggle through life, even if its the hardest thing you've ever done, just to get something that you want?

What do you want?

5. 7960

7960 New Member

not following the rules of the forum you posted it in is a perfectly valid "apparent reason" and left it up to me where it best fit, becuase it didn't fit there.

6. Changed

Changed Guest

Knowledge is nice. I enjoy reading these books, and enjoy most of my classes.

Get away from captivity? I don't see the possibility of escaping from anything, be it American society, or Capitalism. In the end, we all die and our lives are forgotten :dunno:

7. Artanis

Artanis New Member

Because not everything has to have a point. Enjoying things in life without thinking about the sense or importance of your actions for the future or society, this encourages me to keep living.

8. Changed

Changed Guest

good point.

9. Changed

Changed Guest

now I can see how this topic deserves to be in this forum.

:hsugh:

10. 7960

7960 New Member

see, I didn't do it to be a jerk ;)

11. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

as the old gandalf would say: "All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

12. Changed

Changed Guest

thank god for Gandalf :bowdown:

13. red

red New Member

If you really want your life to have some meaning... why not give it one yourself?

14. Changed

Changed Guest

why

15. 7960

7960 New Member

if you don't, who will?

or

if you don't why should someone else do it for you?

16. Changed

Changed Guest

1. nobody
    2. they shouldn't

I just find the whole "go to class, get an education, work during the summer, go back to class, graduate, get a job, work, sleep, fuck, repeat for 60 years until you are dead and gone" a bit absurd.

17. Changed

Changed Guest

for what? really. ultimately it all ends and "we are just dust in the wind" ;)

18. red

red New Member

I was under the impression that you were looking for a reason.

If your response is 'why', then, by all means, don't bother. Doesn't matter to me.

19. Changed

Changed Guest

:rofl:

20. 7960

7960 New Member

then don't do it

but later in life when you feel unfulfilled don't come back and post "I feel like I'm floundering in my life"

21. Mulsanne

Mulsanne The Man = Funk Fusion Chaos

For a while now I've been of the perception that almost all of what we do is essentially meaningless and that the ultimate human accomplishment is to do something which will transcend your humanity and mortality throughout time.

For me that is music. I've always been musically inclined and since I started a funk band my passion for music became really the solid driving meaning in my life. I play 4 instruments so there's always so much to learn and work with. Plus just to be able to sit down and come up with something and later hear it being blasted out just as you had imagined with 4 other dudes in front of dancing people is fucking amazing.

So I guess the point of that is find that something powerful inside yourself that will give your existence some meaning. Any sort of skill or hobby that can be honed (ESPECIALLY creative hobbies) provides a lifetime of exciting learning and the eager anticipation of mastery of your craft or crafts.

22. red

red New Member

JimmyPage crew? In.

...even though he looks like an old asian woman now.

23. Changed

Changed Guest

will read

24. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

I don't believe in God. I don't believe in an afterlife. I think that once we die we cease to exist, much like we were before we were born. I think that eventually someday mankind will be gone, extinct. It is inevitable. So in relation to all of this and all of eternity, mankind really doesn't mean anything in my eyes.

However...

I am living, I am thinking, and I am experiencing. So are others around me. There are moments were I am sad, down, distraught just as there are moments that I am happy, joyful, and in bliss. The thing is that I can experience these things. If I am gone I cannot. Nothing matters when you are gone. Whenyou are here things to matter, to you, to your friends and family. In the end of things it might not change anything more than the fact that you did exist and you did experience. I would rather have that experience than not.

25. SpaMan

SpaMan Mind over matter.

The meaning of life. There is no right answer, no wrong answer, and more importantly no answer at all to that misplaced question. But what is an answer exactly by definition?

an·swer
    –noun
    1. a spoken or written reply or response to a question, request, letter, etc.: He sent an answer to my letter promptly.
    2. a correct response to a question asked to test one's knowledge.
    3. an equivalent or approximation: a singing group that tried to be the French answer to the Beatles.
    4. an action serving as a reply or response: The answer was a volley of fire.
    5. a solution to a problem, esp. in mathematics.
    6. a reply to a charge or accusation.
    7. Law. a pleading in which a party responds to his or her opponent's statement of position, esp. the defendant's reply to the plaintiff's complaint.
    8. Music. the entrance of a fugue subject, usually on the dominant, either slightly altered or transposed exactly after each presentation in the tonic.
    –verb (used without object)
    9. to speak or write in response; make answer; reply.
    10. to respond by an act or motion: He answered with a nod. The champion answered with a right to the jaw.
    11. to act or suffer in consequence of (usually fol. by for).
    12. to be or declare oneself responsible or accountable (usually fol. by for): I will answer for his safety.
    13. to be satisfactory or serve (usually fol. by for): His cane answered for a baseball bat.
    14. to conform; correspond (usually fol. by to): The prisoner answered to the description issued by the police.
    –verb (used with object)
    15. to speak or write in response to; reply to: to answer a person; to answer a question.
    16. to act or move in response to: Answer the doorbell. We answered their goal with two quick goals of our own.
    17. to solve or present a solution of.
    18. to serve or fulfill: This will answer the purpose.
    19. to discharge (a responsibility, claim, debt, etc.).
    20. to conform or correspond to; be similar or equivalent to: This dog answers your description.
    21. to atone for; make amends for.
    22. to reply or respond favorably to: I would like to answer your request but am unable to do so.
    —Verb phrase
    23. answer back, to reply impertinently or rudely: Well-behaved children do not answer back when scolded.
    —Idiom
    24. answer the helm, Nautical. (of a vessel) to maneuver or remain steady according to the position of the rudder.

My point with pasting that entire definition is to show that even our very words mean many things. Words are advanced forms of grunting and moaning of our ancestors. Now it's just to the point where we've diversified it so much that we can type words that are unique to us. English, French, Italian......Latin.......Cave man talk?

Think about the question for awhile. Seems to me it's a trot on the hamster spinning wheel. Re: Scientology. A perfectly acceptable 'religion' by definition. You don't even need to study it or analyze it. It's proof that human kind are creative and unique. I won't go there though. :)

Save yourselves from questions with no one single answer. We all have a personal meaning that's not always presented to us without unlocking the right door Matrix style. :o

School taught us certain facts and answers, but it clearly didn't teach us creativity and freedom of thinking beyond our own limitations apparently.

How about this:

The answer is meaningless.