If you started out doing the Bill Starr Routine...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Dr. Fuckface, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

When did you decide to change up to something different?

Did you come to that decision by the amount of time that had passed, by the gains you made, or something else?

What did you switch to?

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

never did it because I looked at it and went :ugh:

3. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

was it too complicated for your feeble mind ?

4. Abomb

Abomb New Member

lol no it was fucking gay aka unsuited for me in my feeble mind. I do 80% of the lifts in his routine but with more volume and with a few other lifts thrown in.

5. Abomb

Abomb New Member

the real christophers routine = :bowdown:

6. TZ

TZ Banned

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/manrodt4.htm

This website explains it really well.

I've never used the Bill Starr but it seems suited best for beginners, not for intermediate/advanced lifters. I basically use the "big 3" split, with a few differences. It's simple and effective

7. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

You make very quick gains with bill starr. I think a lot of people stopped once their gains slowed down a lot.

8. Dr. Fuckface

That's me. :wavey:

Silly/stupid question: how do I know if/when I'm intermediate? :dunno:

edit: and thanks for the link :)

9. TZ

TZ Banned

Well, I would say after you have trained consistently for at least 6 months to a year. But really, it depends on the person, and how quick you get stronger. I mean if you are benching 300 you are obviously not a beginner :)

10. jonno

jonno New Member

:werd:

you know more than bill starr. you should write him up a routine, he'd really appreciate it!!

11. Dr. Fuckface

is that the one on the fn file server, with the spreadsheet made by vailripper?

12. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

i'm currently doing the bill starr (on the 3rd week), and i've been lifting for about 2 years. i never really made an significant gains. i can pretty much just squat and bench my weight. it's mainly the lack of food i intake. i eat clean and all, but i can't seem to eat enough.

i think i'm intermediate in form and knowledge, but i guess i'm beginner/intermediate in terms of the amount of weights i can lift.

that said, the bill starr routine seems a bit light to me. i'm pretty much lifting to failure for 3 sets (1 for each compound exercise), since the routine calls for ramping weights. only time will tell if the gains will be more than my previous routines (just finished the Chad Waterbury total body training - well i didn't finish, i got bored, since the last half of the program calls for high reps and low sets).

i'll continue with this bill starr to see how many weeks i can keep progressing the 2.5% each week. only thing i don't like about the program is that it tells you to do deadlifts only once a week, and only 4 sets. it also neglects your calves, so i throw that in the 4x5 day.

13. Dr. Fuckface

another starr question: sometimes, to maximize time, I'll bench during my squat rest and squat during my bench rest--am I screwing myself?

also, sometimes i get bored and figure there's no harm in doing beach work--arm raises, curls, tri ext's--is that bad?

finally, I've been resting ~2min between sets. I know this is probably kind of long, but figured it was more important, as a noob, to get through the whole set than it was to stick to a particular rest period. any ballpark figure on what the rest should be?

14. Dr. Fuckface

it's worked real well for me for lower body, but I kind of stalled right off the bat with upper body: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2912622

but that's probably because I've never done lower body lifts before :o. as it turns about, biking, hiking and x-country are no subsitute for the squat rack :nono: :o

15. TZ

TZ Banned

2 min rest between sets is not long at all. I rest for up to 5 minutes, sometimes more sometimes depending on what i'm lifting.

also, if you are lifting in-between rests, does that mean you are not resting at all between exercises? If so, I do not think that this is a very good way to work out- i couldn't imagine having enough energy to squat say, 315 for 6 reps then try to crank out 6 reps of 245 right after on the bench press. I'd probably only be able to do a few reps of the 2nd exercise..

16. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

i agree, i wouldn't deviate too much from the program. seems you're doing antagonist lifts, which seem to work well for higher rep/lower set programs. i'd focus just on your major compound lifts.

as for the amount of rest, i have an issue with that too. the program tells you to rest 2-5 minutes. i usually rest just a minute on the first 3 sets, since they're so light in weights (the whole ramping weights thing). i rest about 2 minutes for the 4th and 5th set. i think my problem was that i entered a conservative 1rm and 5rm. i guess this won't be a problem though in the later weeks of the program.

17. Dr. Fuckface

:wavey: great answers, thanks guys!

edit: and to answer TZ, there is rest between the sets, but probably less overall. so it's probably not the best thing.

what about the beachwork? i just do it for fun, but am i stunting myself by doing it?

18. TZ

TZ Banned

yea , i mean it really depends on how important the lift is when you are thinking of how long to rest. the body needs up to 5 mins sometimes to fully recuperate after a hard set, even if you feel 'good' enough to do another lift, your body might not be ready to take on a huge lift.

usually, I rest for 2-3 mins on the earlier, 'easy' work sets. Then take a 5 min rest depending on how i feel right before my last two lifts b/c thats when i really push myself. thats just what i do tho

19. Abomb

Abomb New Member

fo sho dude cuz bill starr routine is just amazingly awesome for everyone and will accomplish any goal any one has no matter what ! :hsugh:

20. Abomb

Abomb New Member

no its the one chris put together for me

21. Abomb

Abomb New Member

not enough volume for my current goals (bill starr)

22. Dr. Fuckface

fuck it, this ain't his thread!:fawk:

23. kit99bar

:rofl:

24. TZ

TZ Banned

I think you can still do the beachwork. usually those types of lifts aren't very taxing on your body or cns so you can throw them in once a week or so

25. kit99bar

If you are more advanced you can try a few sets at 5x5 of the same weight instead of ramping. Makes it much harder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.