GUN If You Shot Somebody When Yo Don't Have A Permit To Carry Can You Get In Trouble?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by az, Nov 20, 2002.

1. az

az Guest

Like say, you don't have a permit, but you carry your gun all the time (Knowing the penalty for carrying isn't too bad, or you could always make up an excuse)...

Say you get robbed or something... You shoot the fucker... Would you get in trouble for having the gun? Or could you make an excuse up as to why you were carrying or something?

I have always wondered this... Because so many people carry a gun without having the papers to do so...

2. Legally, the answer is yes, you can get in trouble... if you're living in a city where you have to worry about getting robbed, get a white female jury and they would never convict you for anything but self-defense....don't just shoot 'em though....

also, if you're living in the 'burbs, there is no need to carry a gun

IBghettoburbscomment

that is all

3. az

az Guest

^^^ I think the fine for carrying YOUR gun without a permit, is only like a couple hundred bucks. Most of the time you can make up an excuse...

What do you mean just don't shoot them? Kill them? If you mean to worry about a lawsuit, then even if you kill him, his family can still sue...

I guess you could say I live in both suburb and city...

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It depends on your local and state law. Some places require a permit, some don't.

Yes, you will get in trouble. Arrested, charged. You may be able to plead the charge down, but if the law says you can't carry a gun or requires a permit to do so and you carry anyway, you won't get off without something. Again, it varies from location to location how serious a crime they view it as.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

also, in some states, carrying may be a felony, probably for the second offense, or if you're already a felon. anyways, if it is a felony for you to possess a firearm, or a handgun, and you end up killing someone while committing that felony, you can, in some states, be charged with 1st degree murder. it just depends. go get a carry permit if your state allows. if not, some states also allow carry within a vehicle if not concealed.

6. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

Here in Utah you can carry without a permit if the gun is not concealed and not loaded.

The definition here in the books of "loaded is when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired."

So basically the way I'm reading the law is if you have the manual safety on with a bullet in the chamber, that's still considered unloaded since it's more than one step from being fired.

76-10-502
    76-10-505

But of course, who wants to carry a gun around in the open. There would be tons of people calling the cops on you even though it's legal. It's not too tough to get your Concealed Firearms Permit anyways.

Oh, and you don't need a permit to conceal if you are on your own residence or a temporary residence (such as a campground).

7. novass

novass Guest

Yes you will get in trouble, reguardless if you have a permit or not.

You can not shot some one for just robbing you, breaking into your house or stealing your car. YOU have to show that you were in fear of your life or others, in other words you have to show that you were in a direct life threating situation and your LAST resource was to discharge your weapon to STOP the threat. You do not shoot to kill or lame , you shoot to stop. CENTER OF MASS.

People tend to think that a carry permit gives you a permit to discharge your weapon at will. It does not. If you carry with out a permit and get into a situation were you have to discharge your weapon you are going to be into a big legal battle. Save up some funds for a lawyer.
    Yes it varies from state to state. My advise? Talk with the local courts to see what your options are. Cops are not lawyers they only inforce the laws. Some times they advise on what they will arrest you for, not what is against the law.

8. RocCrwlr74

RocCrwlr74 Member

I'm sorry, but I have to ask...Does anybody else have a problem with this guy (az) carrying a gun. Somehow I don't think that anybody around him would be safer, in fact I think that it would be just the opposite.

9. Megaman

Megaman Guest

The penalty for carrying a concealed weapon in Colorado is pretty stiff without a permit.

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Personally, i try to leave the main forum in the main forum and answer any honest, semi-intelligently worded questions as best i can. IME, people that do stupid things with guns were never taught properly how to handle them.

11. taco

taco Guest

I don't know and don't care cause i have a permit.

I'd imagine it would be worse in a non CCW state.

if you want to carry a handgun get a permit. if your state doesn't have permits and you still want to carry talk to a lawyer and get some real legal advice, instead of the advice of some online people.

12. JustinAngil

JustinAngil Active Member

What are you, a gangsta?

13. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

You dont live in TX do ya :big grin:

14. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

In TX you can only carry a gun in your car without a CWL if you are going to and from the range and yes it has to be unloaded.
    When I bought mine (this week) I asked the same question and they told me to put the gun in the Trunk way out of reach and only have it to and from the range.
    I think the only exception is when you are traveling