If you have pop-ups, spyware, stolen home pages etc.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shaggy007, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Pretty much everytime I come here there's someone that has a problem with pop-ups, web pages being hi-jacked. Or something of the similar nature. So instead of having every few threads loaded with the same answers. I thought I'd make this little write up. All these programs are free to use for the standard versions.

First download and install Ad-aware. It's a program that will scan your computer for a wide variety of programs that get installed on your computer. After it's installed update it so that it has the latest definitions. Sometimes it will need to be run after a reboot to get everything out. Just do it. Here's the link.
    Ad-aware

Afterthat you might also want to try using Spybot. Sometimes ad-aware doesn't catch everything and spybot will find it.
    Spybot

If it's still happening, try downloading Hijack this. And post up a log of what it says.
    Hijack this

Finally quit using Internet Explorer. It's bugy and the source of all your problems. I seriously recommend using a different web browser. Personal recomendation is Firefox.
    Firefox

2. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

Don't forget the good ole virus scanner...and make sure its up to date.

3. ins3cure

ins3cure Old School Noob

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well thanks for all of that, but I'm too fucking stupid to follow your directions, so I'm going to post a thread labeled "HELP ME - MY COMPUTER IS FUCKED UP!!!!!!" and be very vague about what is going on, using as many upper case letters as I can because we all know that is how you get the most help.

5. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

Could not have said it better myself! You don't know how many people I have run into who have not updated their virus protection since they bought their computer.

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Can you explain how either of these programs do anything for Spyware/Adaware???

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Sure - spyware is useless unless it can transmit the information to somewhere. A software firewall only allows registered programs access to the internet. Not only can you selectively choose which programs have access, but it will also monitor any changes to said programs. The only thing it can't do is block unauthorized use of a program - such as sending out massive email via outlook. For this reason, MS produced a security patch that prevents an email to be send via an external source without first clicking ok.

This doesn't stop IE from being exploited however - and people have become pretty clever at it.

Secondly - a firewall will prevent most security flaws in MS since you have to allow a program to respond in order for it to be a security risk. This is why webservers are so susceptible because they are designed to respond to outside requests, where as the average home user's computer has no need to respond to anything

8. jayk

jayk New Member

SpywareBlaster is also another good program to try to prevent getting spyware in the first place

9. knell

knell New Member

Spysweeper is nice, if a program attempts to add a favorite or change your home page it tells you, and lets you have the option of resetting. It also alerts when a program is set to run on startup, with the option of resetting to default programs on startup, removing the programs etc.

http://www.webroot.com/wb/downloads/index.php