GUN If you have a FFL do you need to pay the $200 tax on Class III purchases for yourself

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Golfer, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Golfer

Golfer OT Supporter

It just seemed like a smarter idea to acquire a FFL instead of paying the dumb $200 tax for every Class II purchase.

2. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

I've heard they're making FFL's much harder to get for this very reason. I could be wrong though.

3. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

you have to pay for the fee of being an FFL, and then you have to pay a SOT, special operations tax, which i bleive is $500 per year.... same thing for manufactureers.

4. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

a FFL CLASS III holder must have a retail spot, and must keep all weapons locked up at that business location, by law

this is what one told me at least. THere are diff forms for a FFL to FFL transfer, (i.e, not to an individual) and the tax is not $200

5. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Well take what you hear from licensees with a grain of salt. They also tell me civilians can't ship firearms to licensees, which is not true.

I know an 07/02 who operates out of his home.

If you are an 02 SOT, you don't have to pay tax on any gun you make, you just have to notify ATF on a form 2. Now if you sell it, yes. And I am pretty sure you get to keep everything you have including pre may dealer samples but excluding post may dealer samples after you give up your license. Could be wrong about keeping them though, but I think thats how it works

6. Furner

Furner New Member

you have to actually be in the business of firearms, you cannot hold a 02 SOT just to be a collector.

7. striker754

striker754 Chillin

which is easily faked.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Among other requirement the ATF will check to be sure that you're in an area zoned for business. If you live in town and they won't work with on zoning you're stopped before you begin.

9. Furner

Furner New Member

yeah you cant even get a license until you prove that you are operating in a business zone. plus they WILL stop by to see you once in a while, and if you are not obviously operating a business, you are worse off than just paying the $200 tax stamps.

this isnt some silly little license, a 02 SOT is a major deal, you cant just treat it like a hunting license, there are major requirements to operate.

10. striker754

striker754 Chillin

You're ignorant if you think every 02 SOT is actually a legitimate business. Anyone can put up a front that they are a business. Anyone can make a website that says they will make guns for law enforcement and just claim they arent getting any business. I'd be willing to bet that a large number of 02SOTs are just regular people doing this so they can mess around with full auto.

11. Furner

Furner New Member

its hard to pretend to be a business when you have to operate in a zoned commercial area, and somehow appear to be operating a business when they come to inspect, and they WILL come to inspect. sure you can enjoy your 02 SOT by playing with some full auto, but if the ATF even suspects that you are licensed just to play, you will be in a world of shit. you think an 02 SOT is easy, ask someone who is licensed as one and see what they say.

12. striker754

striker754 Chillin

sorry but you are mistaken. you can operate out of your home.

I am pretty sure atf inspects the location before hand anyways.

and no it is not hard to fake the fact that you are "attempting" to run a business. not to mention you can make them for R&D too

13. bacca

bacca Guns, Pussy, Paintball, Cars- What theres more in

You can run an 02 sot out of a home. I have friends that have 02s and the ATF has "stopped by" about 6 times in the last 3 years. They ask for all letters of request, and they also ask to see any prototypes, both failures and succeses. Just because you have an 02 sot you still need to have letters from PO Depts. They want you to have reasons to order post-86 samples. You cant just order one.

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I do too, it used to be allowed. I don't remember the date they started requiring you to have a retail storefront, but they grandfathered people in, so you'll still find some folks selling out of home for awhile.

15. striker754

striker754 Chillin

if so, its recent because as of summer 05 this guy didnt have his 02sot

16. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

It really depends on what county you live in. I know a guy who lives a rural area and he said it was very easy to get atf approval of home based ffl.

17. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

The reason is so you can rent them out. Ever class III dealer I have talked with rents full auto.

18. striker754

striker754 Chillin

the guy i know is in a residential area. neighborhood

19. bacca

bacca Guns, Pussy, Paintball, Cars- What theres more in

Thats for class III not class II. Class II is Manufacturer not dealer