If you had any doubts about the SDK sucking, you can put them to rest now

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IcyHot4Life, Mar 4, 2008.

1. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

The way I see it, the only hope is that devs can use the SDK to develop, and then crack the iTunes auth / sync process so their apps can appear official without having to go through iTunes. I mean do you think Apple will approve of any software that reverse-engineers undocumented APIs? Not a chance.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

What they don't mention is that Apple will also be taking a cut of all applications sold through iTunes. Shareware is not allowed either.

Sounds like freeware apps may not need to go through iTunes and may not require the Apple approval process.

While the SDK will be nice, it's not going to be anywhere close to as amazing as people seem to think it will be. Jailbreaking will still be king I think.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

SDK will be > jailbreak

I'm calling it right now and will stand by it.

yes, SDK won't allow root access, ssh, but every app i use on installer will soon be replaced by legit apps, i have no doubts.

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Wanna bet a month sub on it? After it drops we can wait a month or two and then have members. I saw have members on ModMyiFone.com vote so we have enough people that have jailbroken iPhones to be able to get a good comparison.

6. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

Wouldn't a site called ModMyiFone.com be a little biased towards Jailbreaking? ;)

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Very true but at the same time we need a decent section that have used both Installer.app and the SDK apps to be able to make a comparison. I don't know if we have enough people here that have jailbroken phones to get a large enough number of votes.

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

Ugh.

9. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Ugh looks like they are taking their sweet fucking time with it too.... Fuck it im jail breaking my phone again tonight.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It'll be released on Thursday but you might was well jailbreak anyways. It'll be a little bit before we start seeing apps hit iTunes.

11. verbal

verbal Active Member

I've been wanting to jailbreak the past three days. I've just been leary about it.

Anyone use ZiPhone with 1.1.4? Are there any issues?

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I used inDependence last week and it worked great. One click to jailbreak, one click to install SSH. You still have to go in and edit some things via SSH to make Installer.app work right but that has to be done with all jailbreaking methods it seems. I'm on 1.1.4 now. Haven't had any issues I couldn't work around. Summerboard and Customize now work with 1.1.4 too. If you still run across any apps that tell you that you must have at least 1.1.3 installer, just SSH in, edit the Version plist to say 1.1.3 instead of 1.1.4, install the app, then change it back to 1.1.4. Hell you can even send and receive MMS messages now (although it does require you change your AT&T plan to one that allows MMS messaging).

13. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Hmm so ziphone isnt the best way to go? I want to be able to un-jailbreak if i decided to go back and just stick with the sdk eventually.

Ill prolly wait til thursday to be safe... but we'll see.

14. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

ZiPhone seems to be a good way to go too. You can ALWAYS go back to unbroken. There is ZERO danger in bricking your iPhone by jailbreaking. Should something go horridly wrong all you have to do is restore with iTunes and you're back to normal. I don't know where people go this idea that it could permanently fuck up their iPhone from. Only danger in bricking was with the unlocking (allowing you to use it with another service) but that was a long time ago.

Going back to unbroken is simple. Hold the Home and Lock button at the same time for 10 seconds. Plug into iTunes and click Restore. Done.

15. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

lol sold. i miss having it jail broke, its been since 1.0.3 i think since i had a jailbroken iphone

16. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

i'm not going to try and judge until I hear what gets said on Thursday :hs:

17. skolen

skolen Guest

I can't see how you can't add apps to iTunes yourself like you do with music & movies. Either way, didn't surprise me one bit. I can't understand why Apple releases a phone that leaves out major features found in every other (cheaper) phone/PDA.

They really expect Apple to personally inspect every single app someone writes?

18. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Yeah i have ziphone on my desktop ready to go... but im gonna hold off until Thursday just to be sure... hell ive waited since november since i restored my last iphone from being jailbroke, i think i can wait a few more days. But if they dont have shit ready to go on itunes im jailbreaking asap. No more of this waiting 6 months for apps shit.

19. verbal

verbal Active Member

I've done a lot of research on ZiPhone. The only thing I'm curious about is all the talk about downgrading the bootloader. Is that only for unlocking?

There has been some discussion that some things don't work right after using ZiPhone on 1.1.4, like YouTube or installing the two things you should install after jailbreaking-- can't think of the names right now. Anyone have any input on that?

20. LooneyTuned

LooneyTuned Oil? Bitch you cookin OT Supporter

so i have 1.1.1 jailbroken and unlocked (im in canada)

how do i get a 1.1.4 jailbroken and unlocked? any links would be great. everything i find seems to have it jailbroken but not unlocked. so im wary about this. any help?

21. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I know this has been covered many of times in many of places but I think you just put it so very "user-stupid" that I may just do this. I was always scared about jailbreaking it and losing my $400 device but if this isn't the case, im down.

After the SDK, I may ask for some assistance if you don't mind...:x:

22. street shine

street shine New Member

http://iphone.unlock.no/

23. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

24. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

No one wanna take me up on the one month sub bet that jailbreak > SDK?

Checkout ModMyiFone.com for all the info you need about the different ways to jailbreak the iPhone. Great forum with lots of helpful people.

25. verbal

verbal Active Member

I finally have everything setup how I want it on my iPhone. I know iTunes makes backups.

If I jailbreak will I have to set it all up again or can I do a backup restore after jailbreaking and get my settings back?