GUN If you had an AK kit built for you...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Buzz Killington, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Who did it?

What did they charge?

(I'm purposefully excluding DIY builds).

I am itching for an AK, just to check it off, and while a WASR suits my needs just fine if I can get something more interesting built for roughy the same money I'd prefer to do that.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Shop local to me charges $250 each for multiple builds ($300 if you send in one). That includes parking, painting and refinishing any wood.

You can ship to them, but I think you'd be able to find something cheaper on the east coast.

My Romy-G (bottom) and Polish Tantal (top):

[​IMG]

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

build it yourself. not that difficult. keesh helped me out a lot, and after the first one, it's a fucking breeze

4. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

and for the price of having someone build it for you, just buy one. classicarms has them

5. Buzz Killington

The reason I ask is that I have seen some battlefield-pick up themed AKs that were hot as shit. AKs are beat to fuck the world over and while a "new" one appeals to me so does one that looks "been there."

6. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

sooo.....don't leave it in your safe, and actually use it? :hsugh:

7. Buzz Killington

[​IMG]

Like so

8. Buzz Killington

A look that is hard to get unless you drive around rural Africa shooting at civilians for months on end.

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

not really. just get some fine steel wool and rub all the corners to give them the shiney look.

then throw it down a gravel driveway

10. Buzz Killington

Or I could ambush UN food aid workers :bowdown:

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Blue helmets stand out very well against most backgrounds making them great targets :bowdown:

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Well.... I assume you are still young. Minus whale get out there and get shit poppin while you still have time

13. Buzz Killington

:rofl:

To quote the great Nathan Bedford Forrest, "Shoot everything blue betwixt wind and water until their flag comes down."

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:bowdown:

15. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Yes let's all bowdown to the founder of the KKK

16. Buzz Killington

He renounced it all before he died :squint:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.
    (Applause.)
    I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)
    End of speech.

17. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Of course he did, he was trying to get into heaven.

18. Keesh

Keesh New Member

There's plenty of good builders, take a look at theAKforum and lots of guys charge reasonable rates for good quality work.

If you're doing a BF pick-up look, I would suggest building it yourself. I don't mind loaning out my tools to OTers. Romy kits are a dime a dozen and relatively cheap. Personally I think Yugos turn out the best as BFPs but they cost a few bucks more. The cool thing about Yugo kits too is that most of them were actually used in war and a lot of them have soldier carvings in the handguards and stocks. NDS Yugo receivers are $85, which is pretty reasonable.

There are lots of good guides online, and I'm more than happy to help ya through a build. It doesn't make sense to spend $300 on a build when you can easily do it yourself. Plus you get the satisfaction of saying you built it :naughty:

19. Buzz Killington

:cool: I appreciate it. I am still thinking about doing one myself just for the fuck of it but I would order a 100% receiver. I don't have the patience or tools to bend one. I was reading up about the U drive builds on akforum. Then I read a lot of OMG THEY WILL FALL APART stories without (of course) anything to back that concern up.

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm too lazy to bend one myself. Honestly, in my opinion, it's not worth it unless your time is worth less than $5/hr. bending it, trimming the rails, heat treating, and all that shit takes up a lot of time, and to do it right you need to dump a couple hundred bucks in the jig, a modified spot welder, MAPP torch, and some other shit.

As far as the UDrive, my buddy built his first one like that, they make building very easy and they work, but they're ugly and look goofy. I'm not sure that they'd stand up to thousands upon thousands of rounds as well as rivets, but most of us aren't going to be shooting it that much.

As I said before, I have all of the rivet tools, and if you have a vice, hammer, punch set, and some other general shop tools, you should be able to do it yourself.

21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Some motivation:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

You could pony up the money and have Henderson Defense do it. Their work is top notch.

23. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

Keesh, during your build travels have you heard of anyone bending receivers on a press brake? I work for a sheetmetal shop, so I could bend mine at work and avoid the hammers.

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I've never seen it done, but that's probably because most people don't have access to them. Receiver flats are cheap and if you know what you're doing, I would imagine bending one on a press brake would work pretty well. I believe the Tapco flats have the top rails pre-bent so that would probably be the way to go with a press brake.

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

sexy