GUN If you had a boating accident in Alabama the ATF would like to speak with you

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 14, 2009.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Historical firearms found dumped in river
    http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/artic...tle=Historical-firearms-found-dumped-in-river
    [​IMG]
    These are some of the World War II-era firearms found last week in Bibb County off Alabama Highway 219. Agents with the Birmingham office of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms displayed the weapons on Monday in the hopes of gaining more information on their origin. (Jason Morton / Tuscaloosa News)
    By Jason Morton Staff Writer
    Published: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 3:30 a.m.
    Last Modified: Monday, April 13, 2009 at 10:03 p.m.

BIRMINGHAM | A cache of World War II-era firearms was discovered last week under a bridge in Bibb County.

Now, federal gun experts hope to find out more about what could be considered a gun collector's dream.

Eight of the 10 weapons were on display Monday at the Birmingham office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. They included a Thompson submachine gun (commonly called a 'Tommy gun'), a Japanese 50mm mortar, a German 20mm anti-tank gun and a .303 Vickers machine gun.

'It's kind of amazing what all is here,' said ATF Resident Agent in Charge David Hyche.

Hyche said it was illegal to possess the weapons, which may explain why they were found dumped in a river near Alabama Highway 219.

Bibb County Sheriff Keith Hannah said the firearms were discovered Thursday by Alabama Department of Transportation bridge inspection crews.

A dive team for the Bibb County Sheriff's Department discovered more weapons just beneath the water's surface.

Hyche and Hannah speculated that the weapons, estimated to be worth more than $100,000, had not been under water long.

'There was no silt that had washed over them,' Hannah said, 'and none had started developing any rust.'

Authorities can only speculate on the origin of the weapons. Hyche said none of them were registered, meaning that the owner or owners did not take part in the government's temporary amnesty period in the years following World War II. Under that amnesty, owners of such weapons were allowed to keep them as long as they were properly registered.

'It's my understanding that it was not difficult to bring souvenirs home [from the war],' Hyche said.

Most of the guns are still capable of firing, Hyche said, and for that reason, he thanked Hannah and the Bibb County deputies for recovering and reporting the find.

Hyche did not rule out the possibility of filing charges against the person responsible for dumping the guns, but he noted the ATF normally works with people who suddenly find such guns in their possession and don't know what to do with them.

He said the weapons would not be returned to the owner since they are illegal, but the bureau is curious to know whether there is more to the cache.

'We want to find out more and get our hands on whatever is out there,' he said. 'We're going to attempt to find a home for these where the public can enjoy them.'

Often, the ATF can place the guns in museums or other places that store historical artifacts. That will likely be the goal with these weapons, Hyche said.

'It's quite an extensive collection,' he said. 'These are very unique.'

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

They're unique pieces of history worthy of display and preservation. Fuck you if you think you can keep them.

3. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

fuck you

4. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

IBthey'redestroyed

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sadly thats the most likely outcome. If I were part of that bridge crew I'd be making room in my safe :noes:

6. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

i mean, don't they HAVE to? that's the law, right? :hsugh:

7. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

o'rly

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I never would of let that thompson go :o

9. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (iPhone 3G, son: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

You don't think they'll decommission them and stick them in a museum somewhere?

10. BLH

BLH Member

What would you do with it though if you found and kept it? You can't really take it out to shoot or show people... *legit question*

11. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

depends on if you like getting fucked in the ass.

so do you?

12. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

My dealer was talking of how a guy was busted making copies/forging of approved Form 4s and jotting down info of whatever gun. If anyone asked, he had his "copy".

When someone finally looked into it, he was busted.

13. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend's brother's neice's cousin told me that there was a guy who was making parts for full autos, and giving them away for free :eek4:

14. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Im sure it hapens more than anyone wants to admit.

I bet there's tons of Lightning Links and DIAS for ARs out there.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I'd probably disassemble whatever I got, and hide it in some manner. PVC pipes, storage unit paid for with cash, etc.

16. BLH

BLH Member

wtf would you do with it then? You can't exactly go out and sell it very easily if you need money...

17. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

wait until the country splits...?

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Some people have a space in an attic or basement for just such an occasion. :o

19. BLH

BLH Member

Hmmm, good point.

*goes to look around by bridges...*

20. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

or as stated above, PVC pipes. I used to work with a guy who owned about 100 acres of wooded land, and he told me (whether it was true or not IDK) he had a ton of weapons and ammo buried all over his property in large PVC pipes. Guy was a bit :nuts:

21. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

come across a nice treasure like that and turn them all in :o must have voted for obama

22. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Nothing like giving Lady Luck a good kick in the teeth.