MIL If you got this in an e-mail, what would you think?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by armond, Jan 23, 2007.

1. armond

armond New Member

I come here, because well, I respect the opinions of those serving the military. And this does concern you, more than you know. I cannot divulge everything, so certain names of places will be edited to protect myself until I feel I am ready to undertake this motion...

"The employees of XXXXXXXX Security should be issued aprons with “How can I help you today?” printed on them. Although contracted with the United States Army to protect and secure the military bases located in XXXXXXXX, in all respects that seems to be its secondary mission.

First of all, since when does an armed security guard refer to those attempting to access their guarded installation as customers? I understand the need to be courteous and professional, but all of that aside, our customer is the United States Army. I understood that XXXXXXXX was contracted by the United States Army, not by those working for it. We are there to keep these installations secured and to provide the necessary armed security and presence.

Second, the security of equipment and personnel vital to the military installation seem to shadow the need to get people onto the installation as quickly as possible. Although not stated in the open, actions seem to speak louder than words. When you pull security guards from their assigned posts for the sake of the “rush” you are compromising the security of the entire installation. An example which I find to be disturbing is the reassignment of an armed security guard to participate in the “rush.” Now this armed security guard’s position is one of vital importance I would think. In fact, he/she is charged with maintaining and safekeeping the security of the perimeter to one of the ASPs(Ammo Supply Points) located on XXXXXXXX. When removed from their assigned duties, that position is no longer secure because that armed guard is no longer present to fulfill the duties of that station. Does the United States Army know that this is occurring? More than likely they do not. After all, how could they and allow for it to continue?

This brings me to my third point. Mischarging is an illegal action. It is printed on the timesheets we fill out and sign at the end of our two-week periods. We are told that the reasons for specific charge codes for where we work are on the timesheet because the military has specific accounts that the funds are pulled from to pay for these posts. Are the timesheets adjusted for the 5 hours that the position is now empty because that person is now reporting to a new post to expedite the entry of personnel onto the installation? Does the person’s timesheet reflect them no longer assigned and actually working at that other post, or does it say they worked the entire twelve hours at that post? You figure out what I am trying to say. Now, anyone from the outside who looked at them would think all systems were go and that things were going as required if they weren’t in my or many of my fellow employee’s positions. To think that all the posts are being filled, and an armed security guard is actually present at that vital post would be a mistake that can easily be taken advantage of. All this talk of presenting a show of force to deter terrorists is great to hear, but to see it would be much more impressive.

I for one, as an employee of XXXXXXXX and as a supporter of our Armed Forces am not impressed. In fact I am completely shocked and dismayed at this lack of responsibility. I am sure fear of reprisal and retaliation are key reasons for no one saying anything at all. But I don’t feel this is an issue that can or should be ignored any longer, especially with the escalating and continuing conflicts in the Middle East. The men and women of the Armed Forces and those here in supporting roles should be given the staunchest and highest amount of security that can be given because they are the military’s most important resource. You may have to wait an extra thirty minutes to gain access, but I think it is a fair trade for peace of mind, don’t you?"

Give me some honest opinions, very interested in hearing them... Thanks for reading.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

the pressure to expedite the entry of soldiers to their base is probably coming from the base command leadership.

but the civilian contractors will take the fall if anything bad happens because of it.

3. armond

armond New Member

:hsd: Actuallly we search ALL vehicles.

4. armond

armond New Member

Yessir, I am overseas somewhere. The threat is very real. We seach EVERYONE and EVERYTHING, military personnel are not done this way if they are in a tactical vehicle. That is what I am saying, we are in the Middle East, so we are within the vicinity of all the threats, whether Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc... We use RVACIS and MVACIS systems along with CUVSS and physical searching.

So now what do you think of what I wrote?

5. armond

armond New Member

Sorry I missed this for some odd reason. It is not for soldiers we are expediting their entrance. This is for DOD civilians, contractors, TCNs(Third Country Nationals), etc., anyone else who works on this base...

I honestly do not think that this is a base command decision... Why would they pul perimeter security from such things as ASPs and Fuel Farms that are potential targets and we are the only form of security for them?!

6. Ranger-AO

your email just went from too strong to too weak. :eek3:

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Thats what I was thinking.

8. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Kind of offtopic

Could you give me any advice into getting a overseas DoD contractor job?

30%er Vet

9. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

I've said this time and time again. Get rid of the civilians working the gate, and get the friggin soldiers back on it. It doesn't make sense to have civilians there. Just more $ wasted imo.

There is a reason why the marines have it right.

10. armond

armond New Member

Sorry buddy, that is not the answer either. I believe it needs to be a joint task...

When the military ran the security for some bases they got fucked. A lot of them were doing this monotonous job and actually became quite lax on a lot of stuff. I think it really needs to be a combined effort. And what with soldiers being undepaid, I think a lot of them will actually hate this job. Do you like standing for 12 hours searhing and mirroring cars? I know I hate it, but I look at it like I get paid for it, so i am more inclined to care about it. And the fact that I give a damn, I respect military service members, but they are not immune to the effects of boring job plus crappy pay!

The thing is, this particular letter/insight I wrote was made to pique interest in what the hell i was talking about. Not to give exact info and let them know everything. I was thinking of this to start a possible investigation into some things...

11. armond

armond New Member

i understand this comment 100%, i do not believe that we are enough of a security measure.

Who agrees that security should not be convenient, but rather a difficult task to break thru if u do not have the exact needed requirements?! I know I have always said it to all supervisors I have worked with, "why are we calling these people customers? isn't the US Military our customer? aren't we supposed to try to keep them out if they do not have the proper material needed to get in?" They hate it when I question things... But I feel it is the truth.

12. armond

armond New Member

yah, PM me or email me, dont wanna chnage the focus of the thread.

But that is another thing, some people act like the civilians were never military. We got all kinds in this company; retired, guard, former(still have to finish that 8-year contract thing)... In fact one guy I know is finishing his contract and having to fly out to the 82nd Airborne in Iraq... That's mah buddy too, sucks bawls... And he was in Iraq right before he got out about 2 years ago!

13. Ranger-AO

Toss in a few specific examples, with dates, times, locations, etc. Otherwise you're just another disgruntled employee.

14. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

This kind of stuff stems from the military constantly contracting out vital jobs to the civilian sector. I'm stationed at Pope AFB, which is in the middle of Ft. Bragg. Bragg has civilian security, whereas Pope is still military. The problem is the greedy business owners who get the contracts. They try to make do with as few people as possible to increase their profits. Unfortunately, this also compromises security.

Another problem is the ridiculous downsizing of the military. Why are we downsizing just to give the jobs that are no longer military to civilian contractors? Why does a civilian "security officer" at Ft Bragg get paid $50k a year to start, when the Army could pay a Private 1/2 that amount to do the same job, and do it better? I say do it better because when you're an MP, and you excel at one job, they usually move you to another post as a sort of reward. At least that's what AF SF/FP does here. It's the best they can do since they can't give you a raise.

Another question I've always had is why use civilian security at all on military installations?? You would think these companies would be much easier for a terrorist to infiltrate. This is the kind of stuff that bothers me. Some terrorist gets a job guarding a base, and lets his terrorist friends in with vans full of explosives. See what I'm getting at there??

Anyways, the military is supposed to be able to close off their bases and be completely self-sufficient. That just is not the case anymore. Our government has done it's best to cripple us with downsizing in the name of saving money. The funny part is that it actually cost us more. Like stated before, your average civilian contractor makes at least twice that of their military counterpart at the same skill level. So I ask, where is the money savings coming from??

15. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

ditto

now, as far as stateside security, i could care less whether they pull people to help with the rush or not. but over there, well that's just disturbing to hear, especially since i'll be there very soon.

16. armond

armond New Member

Well I do have exact dates and events. Do not think i didn't do some notetaking...

And yes, it is disturbing, which is why I am coming here about it, curious as to how members of the Armed Forces feel.

17. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I disagree. back when SPs were checking IDs at the base here many would look closely enough to notice that my last name was the same as the name of the base. Occaisionally some Army national guard troops would check IDs and none ever noticed the name coincidence. I've only had one of the armed rent a cops notice what my last name was.

the typical check is to check the front, check the expiration date and then check to make sure it has the proper holograms. SPs prolly checked to make sure Mickey Mouse wasn't making an attempt to get on the base.

18. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Wow I could have sworn i wrote this....lol.

Another issue I have with the civilian post police is the lack of clear distinction and blur in lines of command.

19. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Or how about the fact that when a DOD civilian screw up, it takes an act of God to fire them?? Civilians just don't belong working in the military. We need to get back to the days when we did everything ourselves. You need a building put up?? Call CE and the Army Corp of Engineers. Runway?? Same thing. Need your food cooked in the chow hall?? Get the services guys cooking. The really scary thing is that we now have civilians not only guarding the base, but also issuing ID's!! That to me is a security threat right there.

Stop downsizing, recruit more people, and give the military jobs back to the military. It's bad enough we have to deal with civilian leadership, but to have to work alongside a civilian who gets paid twice as much as us, and can't even get in any real trouble if they screw up, is just BS.

20. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

^unfortunately the size of the budget is getting smaller and at least in the Air Force, where the standard of living is so highly valued by the senior leadership; they have to downsize to keep the standard of living at it's current level.

21. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

Here at Fort Richardson, AK the security is lax as hell. I have repeatedly driven on post w/ snow covering my decal and they have never once checked the back of my ID. Plus they only check the drivers ID from 0500-2200.

22. monkeyshine39

monkeyshine39 New Member

I believe you're wrong on this matter I am ex-army I did access control on a military post while in the military. Did we do a better job at it? No!!!!! Our random car searches was when we saw a hot women and wanted to check her out. We may have been armed but check the magazines EMPTY. Would I rather have been doing my job? YES I was a combat engineer I would much rather be blowing shit up than checking ID's and Mirroring vehicles. There are extensive background checks for all security personel and yeah don't forget about the army SFC that rolled a grenade into a command tent in 2003. Why take a soldier train him to do a job that looks simple but is actually quite complicated and have him hate it anyways and only train him for this task for a few hours and every redtasking cycle every battalion assigned changed it and in todays military of High deployments and more and more training I would have much rather spent that time with my family. Yes, I am now a security contractor in the middle east and I do believe we do a better job because this is our only job.