GUN If you got kids around your house keep your shit secured!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Oct 18, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-10152006-727480.html

Sounds like the boyfriend needs to be charged.
    Police: Boy, 3, picks up Glock and kills himself in Philly

By MARYCLAIRE DALE
    The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - A 3-year-old boy picked up a Glock .45 semiautomatic handgun in an upstairs bedroom Sunday and fatally shot himself in the face, Philadelphia police said.

Tylib Bailey-Henderson died less than a half hour later at St. Christopher's Hospital.

Family members told police the gun was "put up," but it was not in a locked cabinet, detectives said.

The gun is registered to the mother's boyfriend. He lives in the home in the city's Hunting Park section, while the woman and her children often stayed there, Homicide Sgt. Bob Wilkins said.

The adults and Tylib's 9-year-old brother were elsewhere on the second floor when the shooting occurred in a front bedroom at 1 p.m., Wilkins said.

"All four were upstairs, as far as I know," Wilkins said.

No charges were immediately filed and police did not identify the adults.

The Glock .45, a weapon frequently used by law enforcement agencies, typically weighs 19 to 26 ounces unloaded. The model does not have an external safety.

Tylib turned 3 in July. He shot himself just above the lip, Wilkins said.

The death comes as Philadelphia wrestles with a rash of gun violence that has taken numerous young lives, including that of a 5 year-old girl, Casha'e Rivers, who was shot and killed last month as she rode in the back seat of a car.

Rivers' mother joined hundreds of Philadelphians in Harrisburg two days later to lobby state lawmakers for gun-control measures such a limit of one handgun purchase a month.

"No one who has any conscience can sit by and not be affected when a 5 year-old child is killed, when a 9-year-old is shot going to school," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson recently told The Associated Press.

He also lamented that federal lawmakers have not tackled the problem.

"It doesn't seem like Congress or the Senate recognize we've got 30,000 people a year being killed by handguns," Johnson said. "As long as they don't take it seriously, it's never going to be resolved. :ugh:

2. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

sad story...

but whats sadder is the completely false ignorant information at the end :sad2:

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

:werd:

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

We don't need more gun laws we need more gun education, this was a simple lack of not following the common sense rules "never load a gun unless you are ready to use it."

Rivers' mother joined hundreds of Philadelphians in Harrisburg two days later to lobby state lawmakers for gun-control measures such a limit of one handgun purchase a month.

I wonder what the other measures are, cause frankly the here is one tragic gun death lets talk about a more violent gun death that was intentional train of thought and then mention a bill for gun control is a horribly written article that doesn't flow at all.

God I can never ever see how these people can push some of these gun control laws after something tragic happens, in every case most if not all circumstances involved in the tragedy were already covered by an existing gun law, if they really want progress they should enforce the laws already on the books like minors are not allowed to posses guns and no guns at schools, not make the weapons used illegal.

I have to say I find it a little sickening when I see tragedies used by people to push their own agenda.

In the case of the kids that shoot themselves it is the gun owner's fault for not properly securing the gun, but I guess personal responsibility surrendered a long time ago.

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

What the fuck does that have to do with a kid picking up an unsecured handgun and shooting himself in the face with it?

What about the poor children that drown in swimming pools? What about the ones that die in car accidents? Jesus fucking christ this was an accident and the statistics will tell you that it's not typical.

What in the holy mother of fuck are they supposed to do? We're talking about a very small handful of deaths. Sure they're tragic but a dumb fuck, knee jerk reaction like banning all guns because of it isn't going to change a thing.

6. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

By we does he mean human beings, as in the world? :ugh:

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

sounds like a suicide, not an accident

8. mvizos

mvizos New Member

:werd: If I were 3 years old, and had the option of growing up in philadelphia or offing myself...Well, this kid took the right path.

9. Dr. Magic

Dr. Magic Active Member

I won't have room for a full blown safe but I'd like something more secure than a trigger lock. I know it sounds impossible but I'd also like to be able to get it out should I need to defend my home. Any suggestions?

I'm getting a GP100 4inch btw.

What does "put up" mean anyways? Even if it lazily put up at the top of a closet, I don't know too many 3 year olds that could reach it.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can get small single handgun safes with a keypad that you could get in pretty quickley if needed.

something like this http://www.theknifeconnection.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4993

11. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

he must not have had a rich aunty and uncle in bel air :o

12. Dr. Magic

Dr. Magic Active Member

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Last I checked, all glocks had an external safety, or is my trigger finger lying to me now?

14. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I have a 3yo and another baby we are having on 12/6 and all my guns are kept safe all the time. My 1911 is in a pistol safe and my AR Is trigger locked.. the Mosin the bolt is kept separate from the gun and the ammo is separate from that. I am working on getting a locking gun cabinet for xmas for some security

15. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

everygun has a safety if you're not a retard :mamoru2:

16. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

this is such bullshit, this is why i can't watch the news here anymore. Most of this gun violence is in SW philly where its majority poor black families, gangs, basically ghettos. And all these ignorant assholes down there lobby around a "Don't Snitch" policy towards crime. These shootings are going unsolved because the public is refusing to help with leads, the one young girl was killed in an assault rifle drive-by in broad daylight on a crowded street, and yet no one saw anything and then they bitch and moan about the drastic rise in crime. There's people with Dont Snitch t-shirt, i've even seen a kid working at mcdonalds with a damn Dont Snitch belt buckle, its the stupidest shit ever. That whole area should just be left alone and allowed to kill itself. Ok, i'm done ranting.

17. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

18. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

:eek4: That's fucking pathetic. To me that's absolute proof that the criminals will do anything to disarm us so that they're the only ones with guns. The anti gunners are pathetic when they latch blindly onto people like this just because it supports their cause :ugh2:

19. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

it's absolutely rediculous, i ended up in that section of philly once when i was first apt. hunting and didn't know the areas of philadelphia. I've never felt so uncomfortable and unsafe in my own car as i did that day. It's a whole different world, people running up and down lanes of traffic trying to sell shirts, sunglasses, even homemade pies someone was trying to sell. I was getting screamed at by people on the sidewalk if i looked at them, getting glares from everyone, i got the hell out of there asap and haven't been back since.