If you aren't maxing out....Is it even worth it?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Cyrus The Virus, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrus The Virus

Cyrus The Virus Sha-Sha-Sha-Shiba

I have been wondering about this the past couple days. I am coming off a nice little 3 week break, and am in the process of getting my ass whipped in the gym this week.

I have only been at it 9-10 months and am still small. I wonder if I don't put on the most weight i possibly can and only get 6 reps straining, and instead drop the weight down 10-15lbs and get a good 10-11 clean reps, is it just as good?

If I'm looking to build up the strength and size, do i have to lift to the point of failure on every lift? Does lifting lower weight and getting your sets done do the same job?

Does it even matter, or as long as you're in the gym lifting consistently, thats the most important thing?

2. TZ

TZ Banned

im bad about this myself, but i think the general consensus is that you want to push yourself as hard as you can right before failure

3. Cyrus The Virus

a) you push yourself as hard as you can all time
    b) you lift less weight, and are able to do more lifts from not being worn out in 45 mins

After a good 9-12 months, are you really going to see better results with option a?

4. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I'm usualy failing hardcore at the end of every exercise I do :dunno:

I torture myself at the gym and make my body beg me for mercy, but I don't jerk around weights and try to injure myself either.

Lunges are a good example, my poor body is having convulsions near the end of those. I failed completely and fell over monday. :hs:

I feel like I'm cheating myself if i don't work out like that. My gains have been pretty solid I think!

5. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

just go all out and eat right.
    That's what i do. Seems to be working

6. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Intensity is the key. Rep ranges are really a matter of what works for you.

7. jonno

jonno New Member

ive been doing a lot of 10-15 lately. i like. it's a lot harder

8. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

a lot of t-nation articles have been saying that failing doesn't always lead to growth. i would say it's more important to make sure you keep on with your schedule, and do each rep with perfect form.

9. Martinj

Martinj New Member

I started for a short while but stopped but will restart as soon i get my membership at the uni gym. I always go for the maximum weight i can do with 5 reps, and I do that 3 times with a small break in between. When I started doing this, I started feeling to be getting the best results....

10. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

i believe the saying is:

"go big or go home"

11. TheDude

TheDude Active Member

volume is the most important when considering rep ranges. Both 6-8 and 10-12 rep ranges have there place with trying to get bigger and stronger. You should always try to increase total amount of work week in, week out. For example in the 6-8 rep range (for math purposes) say you bench 100lbs for sets of 6 x 3 sets = 1800lbs of total work. next week you use 70lbs for sets of 10 x 3 sets = 2100lbs total work. People are different so different rep ranges work differently for different people so you need to figure out what works for you. If beginners dont seem to be getting the results they want they usually either 1) dont push themselves enough or 2) arent eating right.

12. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Efficiency-wise, 8-15 reps is the best, and on your last rep, you should be struggling.
    Rinse and repeat.

13. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

yes, i think...

my rationale behind this is that if you get into the range where you can do 10 or so reps w/ a set amount of weight, you're less likely to add more weight... and therefore less likely to make progress

i was satisfied doing 3x10s forever, but never moved up in weight... as soon as i started to shoot for 8 reps and adjust weight accordingly, that's when i started to make real progress
    then, i started switching between 3x8-10 and 5x4-6 every couple of months and it's gotten better

14. Cyrus The Virus

yeah i like the idea of switching the set/rep numbers every 5-6 months. I think that really helps. I've always heard that every now and then you need to switch the routine and "shock" your body.

15. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

shock wouldn't be switching your routine, it'd just be doing something different for a session or two. do trisets, supersets, or alternating sets once in awhile, especially on sessions you can't stay long for. i normally do these on fridays.

16. deznutz

deznutz New Member

I RARELY max out just because i want to avoid injury...especially on Deadlift. I hear all the horror stories of people having back problems after maxing out. Ive been doing higher reps and lower weight and it seems to be working out better

17. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Why take a 3 week break?

18. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Why not?

And why does it matter?

FWIW, taking a break once in a while does me good. Having 2 weeks off not worrying about diet and having extra free time is great fun. You can re-evaluate and decide how badly you want your weightlifting goals and whether or not it is worth it. Every time I have a break, I go back more determined than before - plus you know you are fully recovered.

19. Cyrus The Virus

Got busy with some things for a couple weeks. Was only able to go once a week. Then on the week I was going to start back, got sick the whole week and had to take another week off.

Besides the dramatic lose in the amount i am able to lift, I feel like the break was good for me. I was getting close to being burnt out and now I feel better.

I dont see anything wrong with taking a week off every 6 months or so :dunno:

20. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I very much agree a week break does the body good and prevents overtraining, helps get over some plateaus with a muscle shock, etc... but I was asking why 3 weeks off. I assumed it was for personal purposes rather than part of a planned regiment.

A week off every once in a while helps me get straight, but any more than 10 days and I start feeling lazy.

He answered the question, though, so I'm :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.