GUN If you aren't already nuts trying to set up a lee progressive press will make you ..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Mar 17, 2008.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Inconsistant primer feeding. Not timed right. Having to use a larger diameter disc to get the right charge on the scale.

Going to go at it with a clear mind tomorrow.

2. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

The primer feed on my classic turret was pretty gay...had to raise it up a little more to make it work

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I hear that some fine graphite powder helps the primer feed.

Just got around to sending my broken parts to Lee (pin on the decapping die was broken, powder hopper was sheared at the neck, and the primer feed was broken into four pieces). I hope they send me replacements in a timely fashion...

4. KMD

KMD New Member

This is good news.

I just bought a lee progressive press. :hs:

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

If you know anyone that already has one set up and calibrated. It's entirey worth the beer and steak bribe.

Initial set up is always a bear, but once you have it set up it "should" be good to go. I'd just make a habit of checking more frequently to ensure powder charge. But after you make 10k plus ammo, you'll find your grove and can go off "feel". I can always tell when somethings up with my press by feel.

Good luck! And take it nice and slow till you find all the little idiocincrocies of your press. You shouldn't be up to "full production rate" until after maybe 1k rounds. Until then, go nice and slow and consistent.

6. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Right now it is set up. I need to get the shellplate cleaned and calibrated. I need to slick up the primer ramp with some graphite and go from there. I'm not getting reliable primer seating and when I am the next cycle does not line up. Any ideas?