If the IBM ThinkPad T42/43 is the Bentley of laptops...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlackMage84, Dec 10, 2005.

1. BlackMage84

BlackMage84 Guest

... then what would be the next best thing?

I've done about 6 hours of research so far and have gotten a really good understanding of IBM's ThinkPad series. After looking at all the options, however, it's just a bit too expensive.

What would be the next best manufacturer for business class notebooks?

From what i've heard Dell and Compaq offer horribly sub par products that have cluttered operating systems and terrible return rates on their products. So those two are out.

That leaves Hewlett Packard, Acer, Sony, and then all the lesser known companies.

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I like the T42 as long as you get the upgraded video. Otherwise, you're stuck with 1024 x 768 resolution. Built in bio-metrics is great too. Nice solid laptop, excellent built in wireless range (much better than my Dell D600). The standard T42 is what we order for all of our mobile users. The shock protection is an excellent idea. Not sure why anyone else hasn't already thought of it. When the laptop senses a sudden change in angle (ie starting to fall off a table or your lap) it pulls the hard drive head back to the resting position to avoid crashing the platters. It also detects shock, though I doubt this is as effective but still nice.

We haven't had any problems with the T42's we have running about getting beat up.

I suggest doing a reformat when you get it, since IBM tends to install a LOT of crap you won't need or want. Then just go back and install the shock protection software.

I think the T42 with the better video is called the T42p or something like that?

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

404 Bentley of Laptops not found

4. BlackMage84

BlackMage84 Guest

For my 19" CRT monitor I prefer 1040x780 for desktop work. Just a personal preference. For games, of course, I pump it to the max.

Is there a reason why 1600x1400 SXGA+ is preferred on a 14.1 inch LDC laptop screen over 1040x780 XGA? Or will it comes back to my original preference?

5. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

isn't this in the main forum as well? :eek5:

6. Yep

Personal preference more than anything really. 1024 x 768 is just too small for me to have any room to do multiple things at once.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: On my 19" monitors, I can't work at less than 1600x1200. I'd pump them up higher if they went higher (they do, actually, but not at 75Hz or higher).

8. BlackMage84

BlackMage84 Guest

Yes, but the main forum is full of 15 year olds with ADD who supposedly make 5.6 million dollars a month.

9. BlackMage84

BlackMage84 Guest

I like to focus on whatever i'm doing, and I tend to only keep one application maximized at a time. So I suppose XGA is fine for me.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I like Fujitsu laptops. Fujitsu is probably the best in the business about packaging features into each of their notebooks that the user can actually appreciate -- without leaving out incredibly obvious stuff to make room for gimmicks. Check this one out:

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/PrdBridge.jsp?pclass=P

11. BlackMage84

BlackMage84 Guest

Those are just as much if not more than the T4* series. If i'm going to spend 1400-1600 on a laptop, i'm going to get a IBM ThinkPad. I'm looking for manufacturers that offer solid portables for LESS than that amount.

The only thing that Fujitsu has to compare to the T series is their S7020 model. And for that price I can get a T42 with extra options. And the S7000 series didn't rate too well with reviewers, either.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Keep in mind that Lenovo owns Thinkpad now, and only time will tell if their R&D and customer service prove to be as good as IBM's was.

13. Yep

I don't know how important it is to you, but I'd look at how good their customer service is as well. Dell shipped a lot of their tech support overseas to India where you can't understand what they're saying. My buddy who works for Cisco now, used to be a Dell consumer tech and had to train a lot of them in India. Dell maintains a small contigent of US tech support people so they can see what some of the common problems are firsthand. According to him, Dell isn't the only one who does this. There are a lot of manufacturers who sub-contract out their consumer tech support now. One call center may handle calls for 4-5 different manufacturers.

We're a business so we have corporate IBM support but so far they have been great. With our desktop IBMs when I call I always get someone who can really speak English and not just butcher it. And they don't make me sit on the phone for a half hour as they read through a script for a broken keyboard. Then they don't ask me to ship the damn thing back.

14. 01000101

01000101 New Member

15. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Dawt. My T42 is a little over a year old now, and I love it. It remains to be seen how much the transition to Lenovo will affect the Thinkpads' long-standing reputation of fantasticness. I also really like Apple's laptops, but with the upcoming switch to Intel I don't know if I'd buy one of those today either.