If my computer plays FPS games slowly, do I just need a better video card?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by powershot, May 24, 2003.

1. powershot

powershot What else is new

I have a P3 850MHz, 384MB RAM, and an ATI 7400 video card. When I play BF1942, it seems kind of slow. Counter strike and UT were fine. I don't play too many games. Anyway, so I just got BF1942 and I don't know if it's the graphics or the fact that the map is so big or whatever, but the game play is not that smooth. It's playable for sure, but I know I am at a big disadvantage when I play it. So anyway, would getting a new video card solve this problem or do I just need a faster computer? Not up to date with this shit, but how slow is an ATI 7400 card compared to some good cards (not the latest and greatest) nowadays?

2. brembo

brembo New Member

With your cpu getting on in years, it's not much point getting the latest and greatest video card because the cpu won't be able to feed it enough information to process. In this case your cpu/ram is the bottleneck. A low range video card (re. Radeon 9000pro/9100/9200pro) is probably a good match for your current cpu and ram combination.

You should be able to play at a lower-mid resolution with medium detail and get reasonable frame rates with one of the above cards.

3. powershot

powershot What else is new

I looked around but could only find the 9000PRO, no 9100 or 9200. So is the 9000PRO considerably better than the 7400 in 3D graphics? Is it like 2 generations better or something?