if i zip and unzip a file, is it as good as the original?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Feb 6, 2010.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i do nightly backups for my dad's dental database. its a couple hundred MBs. if i zip it with normal compression, it condenses it down to around 50 MB

when i unzip the file, its the exact same file size. i'm wondering if there would be any loss/corruption of data on the unzipped file compared to the original

the reason for this is because my dad's up speed on his dsl is pretty weak and it can take quite some time to transfer the files. compressing them first, downloading them to my server, and decompressing them cuts the time in half

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

What would be the point of compressing the files if you couldn't expand them without fear of losing data?

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

yeah, but really you should transmit two backup copies.. one via internet/FTP/whatever you're doing and another on CD or USB or something.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

5. dorkultra

yeah, we do an uncompressed copy onto a flash drive and he brings it back home every night.

6. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Look into MD5 Checksums for checking if one zip matches another zip

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Or, just use winrar/winzip/any other utilities tool to do that automatically, like they all do to begin with and warn you if they don't match...

8. dorkultra

yeah seems to be working fine. i tested the backup as well. however its a database, so some obscure table could get fucked up and you wouldn't know until you accessed it.

his dental program comes with a data cleanup utility that verifies an rewrites everything. tests as good as the original

i'm not sure how to compare hashes. i'm guessing that i'd need something like winzip.
    i've just been using the send to -> compressed file, using the built in windows xp zipping program

9. Chris

Chris New Member

If its only a couple hundred MBs does it really make that much of a difference whether it compressed or not? And what does the software manufacture say about compressing the database?

10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I would use winrar if I were you, it is free, and does this CRC check that we are talking about automatically, warning you if the compressed data does not exactly match the original... which never happens unless the resulting compressed file gets corrupted, but if that happens it would happen whether it was compressed on the disc or not.

11. dorkultra

i didn't ask them...seems that i know more about the software than they do, the few times i've talked to them

i guess i could just set it to upload to my server and walk away. just seems much quicker to compress and then upload

12. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It is, and compression alone will never corrupt the data.

Basically, if the compressed file gets corrupted it is likely the data would have gotten corrupted anyway, compressed or not.

But, if you are really worried about that look into PAR2 and quickpar.

13. HY

HY New Member

yes the file as good as it was previous compression. there are two types lossless which is used with files such as zip, rar, .... and lossy which is best used with some types of media, mp3, divx, h264 ....

14. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I've been gone for a few days, was this really a serious question??

15. dorkultra

yes :wtc:
    appreciate all the help

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think LZW is also lossless compression. There are plenty of lossy compression algorithms, but only a few lossless compression algorithms. People only use lossy compression for data that you won't notice the loss of data in, like images, video, and audio.

17. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I implemented a form of multidimensional RLE for a project at work... /bragging