If I wanted to run 2 IDMax's off a single amp...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vtec1994, Oct 26, 2002.

1. vtec1994

vtec1994 It always rains at Le Mans

How much power (rms) would I need to give each one? And what amp do you reccomend for them??? Thanks for your help guys :bigthumb:

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

500 rms per would be the least id recomend..

3. vtec1994

Well I drive a 4 door blazer, if I got a single IDMax 12, gave it around 1000w RMS would that be better than 2 of the IDMax's getting around 600w RMS???

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

id go with one and a big amp less space and more tahn enough out put

5. 04

04 Guest

Nope. 9 times out of 10 it is better to go with two drivers instead of one.

But you have to remember, it would be cheaper to go with one driver rather than two.

And the whole thing about a driver needing a certain amount of power isnt necessarily correct. I speaker does not need a certain amount of power to function correctly, unless you want to play it to a certain loudness. For example, my 1803 only has 250w going to it, but it can handle 4 times that. Right now, I don't have much of a need for more amplifier power because it already gets insanely loud. But then again, what is the point of buying a super excursion driver and not giving it enough power to drive it to its limits? I think Loudsystems reccomendation is pretty good.

6. vtec1994

So If I get a 1000w @ 2ohms and send 500 to each I should be ok??? Also... what determines the impedence that the amp runs at???

7. 04

04 Guest

Yup. You will probably be able to drive the IDMAX's to full excursion with 500w apiece, depending on your box.

The speaker load determines the impedence the amplifier runs at. For example lets say you have 2 4ohm IDMAX's. If you wire them in parallel, you will get a 2ohm load that the amplifier sees. If you wire them in series, you will get an 8ohm load that the amplifier sees.

8. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

maxes coming in D2s and D4s a D3 is in the works though

9. 04

04 Guest

:doh:

Well then he will need to get an amplifier that does about a kilowatt into one ohm.

10. vtec1994

So to give each IDMax 500 rms I would need to get a 1000w @ 2ohms Amp and get the 4 ohm version of the IDmax and wire them in parallel and Ill be set??? Sounds good to me :big grin:

11. 04

04 Guest

Nope. Like Loudsystem said, they only come in dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm versions. Which means you need an amplifier that is one ohm stable if you want to wire the d4's in parallel.

12. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

he could also get something like a big class a/b arc 2500 and run it @ 4 ohms mono :big grin:

13. vtec1994

OK which version of the IDMax's would I need to run an amp at 2 ohms???

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:naughty:

15. vtec1994

I thought Class A/B was for speakers not subs??? I thought thats what class D was for???

16. 04

04 Guest

Impossible, unless you want to buy 2 d 2ohm drivers and wire two coils in series, and then the drivers in parallel. I would try and find a 1ohm stable amplifier if I were you.

17. 04

04 Guest

Nope, class D is just the amplifier design topology. It is more efficeient than class A/B but class D has problems with higher frequencies, because a lowpass filter has to be inserted to remove switching distortion.

The reason you might have thought class D was the only amplifier for subs, is because it can only be used for subwoofers? :dunno:

18. 04

04 Guest

Yikes, but think of the drain on his electrical system. It wouldnt be so bad if he had like an suv with a big 90+ amp alternator, but what if he has like a civic or something with 60amp alternator? :ugh:

19. vtec1994

So basically I have to run the IDmax's at 1 ohm???

Ok this might make things easier, what are my options amp-wise for running 2 IDMax 12's either 2D or 4D (btw, what is the diff? 2D has 2 ohm coils and 4D has 4 ohm coils???) Im looking for wireing config., what impedance and wattage. Sorry for being so difficult I just to get this right the first time and not screw any of my equipment up. Oh.. and I drive a 95 Blazer, I dunno tho about alternator size.

20. 04

04 Guest

No you dont have to run them at 1ohm but I would. The advantages to Dual voice coils is that you have many different wiring options. You can get a .5ohm load, a 1ohm load, a 2ohm load, or a 4 ohm load, depending on the speaker you get.

And yes, the d2 or d4 means either dual 2ohm coils, or dual 4ohm coils.

Why not go with a Class D monoblock that is stable to 1ohm and two of the IDMAX d4's? You could then wire all 4 voice coils in parallel to get a 1ohm load.

21. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Which would give first if an amp load was .50ohms the sub or the amp :confused:? I'm getting a Quad sub and I want to run it at .45 or .9ohms. I'm not to sure it would be safe seems like tje amp would clip at low volume and not get too loud.

22. 04

04 Guest

Uh, the subwoofer would be unaffected, unless the amplifier died from too low of a low impedence and threw a ton of power out on the output rails. The amplifier would clip at a high volumes, but could be hurt from overheating or transistor junction breakdown. I would just use the manufacturers minimum suggested impedence, it will save you a lot of headaches.

23. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

they arent that ineffiecent.. all 1kw plus class d amps draw well over 100 amps of current at higher output levels.. the ARC does the same :) just a lil more :big grin:

24. 04

04 Guest

Yeah, I know, but 9 times out of 10 the class D will have a higher efficiency than an A/B. Infact I dont think i have ever seen a class A/B with an efficiency of over 60% or so.

25. vtec1994

Wiring a sub with dual 4ohm coils in series would give me the 2ohm load if it was the only sub connected to the amp?