If I take in a lot of CARBS before my workout, does it matter regarding softness?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by jmezz, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

If I take in a lot of carbs before my workout and burn them during my workout, but take in minimal after my workout, does it still have an effect on how soft I may or may not look?

THX.

2. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

Judging by your av, yes. ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

dude how much u weigh stop worry about carbs, pound them n-words.

4. biggusdickus

biggusdickus pull the string

when you have more carbs than your body can assimilate (i.e. use/store in cells) you essentially "spill over," and excess carbohydrate remains outside and in between the cells. "water follows solute," so water is stored alongside the excess glucose, outside of the muscle and in between fat cells. this is what makes you look "soft."

If you've burned all of your pre-workout carbs, they shouldn't be to blame as far as looking soft goes. does that answer your question?

5. biggusdickus

biggusdickus pull the string

btw i'm talking softness in terms of holding water because of carbs, not softness in regards to being fat, hormones, etc.

6. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

carbs are protein sparring. just eat your food unless you are trying to look super good for a day in which case you need to be lean enough and carb deplete as well as manipulate sodium/water for it to make a real difference. so the answer to your question in your case since you are not doing this is NO.

7. jmezz

Well because I have this pre-conceived notion that you can binge on carbs before a workout because you will burn them off during your workout.

I'm super anal about holding water and not being lean so I figured this was a legit practice.

The thing is, I'm not sure what level of carbs I can binge on until my body can't use anymore and I don't want to start holding water because I've taken in too many carbs.

This is where my question comes from, is it ok to keep doing what I'm doing or should I relax a little on the carbs even before my workout?

I knew your fruity backbending ass was going to reply to my thread. :mamoru:

Cmon, you know me, I need to look lean everyday of the week.

So if what I'm doing with carbs now is affecting that then I'm for sure going to change it up. :mamoru:

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Unless you're doing tons of cardio in your workout you will not burn off all the carbs from a "pre-workout binge".

The entire idea behind that seems silly to me. Binge after your workout and put those carbs to better use.

From what I gather, you are attempting to eat more cals/carbs because you want to add mass, but you are trying to do it all before a workout so you can burn it off? Is that correct?
    In that case, you're still not allowing your body to run in a caloric surplus and therefore adding mass will be harder. It's a basic contradiction.

Eat enough carbs to get you through your workout, and have two large carbohydrate meals post-workout. One immediately after, and another 3 hours later.

9. jmezz

No, I'm trying to get carbs in before a workout for energy and then afterwards I have a banana post workout and then chill on the carbs for the rest of the night.

This isn't in response to every single one of my meals before working out, just carbs beforehand.

10. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

I always thought you should have lots of crabs post-workout :dunno:

11. jmezz

I just eat a carb source right after to replenish levels, but after that I try to stay away from carbs just because I'm not going to be doing any other activity for the rest of the night and I don't want them to be stored as fat.

12. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Bad move homie.

1) A banana is a different type of sugar than what you ideally want to get into your body... A banana is 66% sucrose and you typically want go get more glucose in your body (simple sugars).
    You want glucose, and your body will convert the fructose/sucrose in the banana to glucose EVENTUALLY, but the liver has to break it down first. Why not consume glucose to begin with and get the carbs doing their job sooner.

2) Your body needs post-workout carbs to keep it going and aid in muscle repair and replenishment.

13. RG

RG New Member

they aren't going to be stored as fat if you're not eating over your maintenance level. you could eat 200g of carbs right before bed but if you're undereating by 800 calories i doubt you'd notice anything.

i down two poptarts in my car pwo. get to try choc chip cookie dough flavor tomorrrow. :bowdown: hell my dinner a couple of hours later usually has 40-50g of carbs too.

14. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I know you're not exactly moving big weight BDR style or anything... but your body needs more than a banana to replenish after a strenuous workout.

15. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Really? You do realize that weight training actually burns through very little of your glycogen dont you? It's aerobic training that depletes glycogen significantly.

And truth be told, carbs really arent that important. Want to spare protein? Eat more protein. Sometimes it seems like you guys forget that protein builds muscle. Carbs are just a source of energy...just like fats.

16. NUDES

NUDES New Member

17. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I am not a carb freak like other people here who unnecessarily consume 500g a day. I get by just fine and retain PLENTY of muscle mass on 150g a day.
    My point is, if Jmezz is not cutting down (which he isn't) then he should be taking in more than a banana for post-workout carbs.... Especially when a banana is comprised of 66% sucrose.

I'm not saying he needs to eat a package of tortillas, but working out, having a banana, and then not eating any other carbs the rest of day, and until the next morning seems silly to me, ESPECIALLY if you're not TRYING to cut down.

Jmezz just wants the best of both worlds. He won't go over 9% b/f and won't eat over 2,000 cals but he wants to put on 10lbs of lean mass (unassisted) every year.

18. NUDES

NUDES New Member

well im sure jmezz knows by now he'll never have much size by being so food-a-phobic. i'd gues he's just accepted that

19. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I think he has too, for the most part.

He would rather be 175 @ 9% than 190 @ 12%... which is totally cool.

But his whole logic of binge eating on carbs pre-workout and attempting to burn it all off (when he does not even do cardio) and then eating nothing but a banana PWO, the rest of the night, and through his sleeping just seems a bit silly for somone not cutting.

20. geekierthanyou

geekierthanyou Crews: DSLR, Brolie, Classic Car, Gun, Zombie, Pro

I never realized that in order to build mass you need carbs... is that what I'm understanding here?

21. geekierthanyou

I mean, I have some carbs but I'm probably around 30g a day mostly.. I tracked for a week doing my standard diet in fitday and I was just between 30 and 40 carbs every day.... since I'm trying to put on some more size, I should move up?

22. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Yes you need carbs to build mass, I learned that the hard way.

23. geekierthanyou

Bummer... I have a diet that really helps me keep the weight down... I really need to figure out if I want to be JMezz (light but cut) or more like the bigger but less cut guys... I've been @ 180 for a month or so now so it's a good starting point for me in either direction...

24. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Honestly, I just focus on growing during the fall and winter where it doesnt really matter how lean I am. I eat a lot more carbs and food and I manage to make significant strength and mass gains. For example, currently I'm 205 @ around 12-13% bf, not really fat and I still have decent vasuclarity. Once march comes around, I'll cut down and focus on maintaining strength while droping weight. I'm shooting for 185 @ 9% by May. This way I can look best when it matters most and still make gains every year.

So basically, bulk clean and cut very little. I dont belive in drastic bulks or cuts because I personally thinkg they are counter productive. Jmezz is just paranoid of the cost of progress and I was the same way too untill last year.

25. KingSteveTTC

KingSteveTTC New Member

geekierthanyou: Out of curiosity, how tall are you? I only ask because we're pretty much the same weight and I'm trying to clean bulk before I start cutting for summer.

First time doing all this and it's very helpful to hear all this shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.