If I start jogging, how long until it doesnt bother me anymore?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Red99, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red99

Red99 Guest

I really dislike running. Even when I played football and was in great shape, i never enjoyed running.

With that said, i need to lose some weight (like 30 lbs) and running is by far the best way to get that done.

My question is say I can run a mile right now, but im very tired/worked out after that and im huffing and puffing my way through

How long would it take until i just go out there and run 2 miles no problem? how much improvement would i see every week/month?

I am the kind of guy who likes to see improvement. I would probably bring a stopwatch with me on occasion and time it and try to improve every week or something.

2. I'd say the easier way to start losing weight is to change up your diet. Running is a lot more work than just not eating poorly and really does not burn that many calories.

I used to be able to run down the block and be out of breath in July and now I've completed a 4 mile run in October after only getting more serious about running in mid-late September. :dunno:

3. Carrera

Carrera OT Supporter

I hate running but I do it anyway :dunno: If you can run 1 mile right now non stop, it should take you another 1 1/2 weeks to probably run 2 full miles non stop. As long as you are running every other day. You always gotta push yourself to go just a little bit farther everytime.

4. I don't know many people who have an orgasm while running. :mamoru: I hate it but it's a love-hate relationship. I hate waking up early (5AM), I hate running, I hate the pain in my shins/knees and I hate the morning cold. But I love finishing a long run and beating a previous PR and then going home, eating some hella good breakfast food and sitting on my ass for the next hour or so. Not exactly good advice to tell him to quit now.

5. Red99

Red99 Guest

Decent i guess. I changed it recently cause it wasnt that good previously.

6. Red99

Red99 Guest

Well i plan on going to the track so i dont get hills and know what the distance is.

Its a 1/4 mile track, so I was kind of planning on doing a mile for the first 2 weeks or so, then just adding another 1/4 mile whenever it feels right to do so

7. Hello Panda

Hello Panda New Member

Don't run fast for the first few weeks.
    Keep a slow pace, add mileage, and build a base for your cardiovascular endurance first.
    Later you can pick up the pace.

8. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I started off by doing sprints...probably counter-intuitive, but it worked for me because distance running was easy when I first got into it (and by "distance" I mean steady-state for 3 miles, non-stop).

Then I just got lazy stopped running, got back into it...might take a few weeks, but it shouldn't be too hard to get up to 2 miles non-stop if you run regularly.

9. {hydro}

{hydro} OT Supporter

nobody ever has or ever will like running.

Just do it and you'll improve every time.

10. What if we were like animals and ran/climbed everywhere? We'd probably be jacked as hell. Look at like cheetahs/lions and shit. :eek4: What if I was a lion.... :eek3:

11. Canuckistan

Canuckistan New Member

my gf craves it. not even kidding.

she fucking loves running.

12. 1.8t

1.8t Member

:ugh: No.

Extremely generic, but -> http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm

I have swam, ran, ellipticaled, and done pretty much any other accepted form of pure exercise and nothing has EVER worked as well as running. This also doesn't mean when you go for a run, you pussy foot along and "jog". My 3 milers used to average 18:XX @ 205lbs. I am a bit heavier at 215lbs right now and average 7min pace for my 3 miles. I run later in the day because when I am done, I am completely drained.....as intense cardio should be.

13. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

if you have an ipod, go to itunes and search for the poscasts for running. there is a couch to 5k podcost set to 9 weeks. thats what I run to. its not that bad.

14. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I hated running most of my life and then started running outside and running forest paths, and all that jazz. I really started to like it until I stopped for a few months.... Now I hate it again.

15. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I ran XC in HS and ran road races starting at like 8 until my freshman year in college. I never liked and it always sucked. Looking back I'm really not sure why I did it other then I was good at it.

16. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

It's hard to picture someone of your current stature being a XC runner :rofl:

17. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

yea...nobody believes me until I pull out my drives liscense which has my 16yr old picture on it...

I've almost been arrested before because of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.