LGBT If I had a dollar for every time somebody obliquely asked if I was gay...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by coma, Sep 8, 2004.

1. coma

coma New Member

I'd be a millionaire. Honestly, why do people feel the need to know my personal business (gay)? I never ever inquire about people's private lives. I don't even ask if they're married. This is what I mean: An old hag at work asked me if I was married. Her question didn't deserve an honest answer because I knew where this was going since I've seen it a million times so I told the gossipy bitch that I was divorced. But that wasn't good enough; she had to know whether I had any kids and again I lied to her and said that I did. Then she had the temerity to ask if I lived with anybody. I'd had enough of her so I said "You know, you ask nosey questions." Her real question that she dared not ask of course was whether or not I was gay. For the life of me I don't know why people like her are so fascinated with my life. Every once in a while I encounter people such as her that just simply must know if I'm gay or not. Do any of you have this happen and how do you handle the questions because I really find them to be offensive and intrusive?
    In retrospect, I should have cut her off at the very first question and said "You don't need to know whether or not I'm married" and then that would have been the end of it. On the other side of the coin, I really don't think that these type of people get a hint, so that may not work.

2. [Bartleby]

[Bartleby] New Member

Actually what you should do is demand a dollar from every person who does ask.. It would be an interesting twist ont he situation. Tell them that since they felt the need for you to share your personal life with them, they should share something of theirs.. money.

3. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

hah, hah! I feel you. I get that all the time.

I’m straight, but a lot of the people I know/meet assume I'm gay (or act effeminate) or whatever. It really isn’t anyone’s business and if they assume one way or the other, than it’s really their loss and probably aren’t worth being friends with anyway.
    If they ask, perhaps you should just be as vague and short as possible; “Are you married?” “No”, and change the subject. A little mystery never killed anyone.
    Maybe like carnifex said, they just don’t know too many gay people, and are curious?

4. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

holy crap :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that was good :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

6. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

If I had a dollar for every time somebody obliquely asked if I was gay...

...I'd have three dollars. :wiggle:

7. coma

coma New Member

But it's none of their business, that is my point. I don't ask about their marital status. No I don't deliberately act gay.

8. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

"Gimme a dollar and I'll tell you"...? :dunno: