If I don't know anything about building a computer, but dont' want a dell...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by joechunkybutt2, Jun 25, 2006.

1. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

I want a gaming rig. but i don't have enough time to learn how to build one myself; I also dont' want to waste my money on something like a dell. Are there sites that are reputable that can create computers without the high mark up of Dell? Thanks

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Yes there are. Honestly your best bet though is to set a budget on here. Let us argue and configure a setup for you (listen to jollyogre before anyone else if you're smart and know absolutely nothing). Have the parts shipped to you and then pay to have a computer shop near your home service it for you.

If you want a better warranty than that would yield you go to the computer shop and buy the parts directly through them. Again, let us know what brands and models they're gonna be using before they build it so we can guide you along the way. Don't take their word for it. A lot of computer shops use things like Kingston memory and swear by it, but there are better options available and they can usually order the parts we recommend for you.

The best way to get exactly what you want and to make sure it's going to be as reliable as possible is to get a hand built system made of quality parts. That's not easy to do unless you pick and choose the parts yourself.

Give us a budget, what you want to do with it and where you're from. Include things like if you need a keyboard/mouse/monitor included, etc.

3. Clarity

Clarity New Member

You're stuck then.

JaJae made a great recommendation, you will get all the configurability of building your own, without the time-consuming task of building your first self-built computer. It took me 2 days (a few hours a day) to get mine working.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

iBuypower.com

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Quit blowing Jolly. It'll get to his head.

7. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

Budget: 1800ish (i'm looking to buy in a few months so i'd imagine the price at that point will be more like 1400-1500)
    Monitor : nothing needed bigger then 19inch. Need something with decent reaction time, I hate watching my friends play on their flat screens that makes the game look like its smudging.
    Mouse: None wireless - I don't like using my friends wireless mouse for gaming
    Keyboard: A new one would be nice
    Sound: Nothing very special needed (i'll be hooking up the computer to my TV, so 5.1 sound at the most)
    Ram: No clue - you guys decided
    Harddrive: 300 gigs would be nice -- but once again you guys decide
    Video Card: Don't want SLI ( i think its a waste of money), but I want a card that will be decent for atleast 2 years, (I want 60+ fps with no stuttering)
    Processor: I have no idea, but I want this rig mostly for gaming, so you make the call
    Case: a cool case would be nice, but nothing over 100 dollars worth.
    Powersupply/cooling: I know nothing about this topic

Debate away...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh, you have described the last 3-4 machines we've spec'd. go read the first page or two in C&P.

9. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

go have a friend build you one.

10. Hartman

Hartman New Member

AMD for gaming.

11. Sagara

Sagara New Member

Wait for Intels coming Conroe processors.

12. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

7900GTX ftmfw

13. JaJae

JaJae New Member

If you know anyone on this forum with more experience with individual parts and manufacturer's as well as system specs, by all means I'm willing to hear who it is.

14. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

7900gt > that

Price vs. performance FTMFW

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You just blew him again. Can't get enough, eh? :bj:

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Young Peyomp is feeling humorous tonight I see. :bigthumb:

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm surprised your hands became free from tossing off Steve Jobs long enough to post that sentence on this forum :mamoru:

I do believe you would be among the last of individuals qualified to jest about this issue. :mamoru:

18. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Not true, I can't tell you how many times someone will come on here and say "go RAID" or "buy an Antec PSU", etc. Jolly is almost the first to always come in here and correct someone. If you know absolutely nothing about computers and you need help. The best person on this forum to take advice from is Jolly. Hands down. It has nothing to do with blowing Jolly or anything else, it has to do with helping out the original poster. While there are plenty of people on here who know a lot about computers, no one on here has shown they come close to his knowledge of parts. Prove me wrong and I'll concede.