if already on AT&T is it worth jailbraking an iphone?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by moses, Mar 14, 2008.

1. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

data plan and text plans cost the same??

2. befriending

befriending New Member

jailbreaking is good if you want the 3rd party apps and such. but be careful with it. i jailbroke mine and it randomly shut down after installing a program and wouldnt turn on at all, it wouldnt charge, nothing.

thankfully apple replaced it.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You shouldn't have needed a new phone. Jailbreaking can't do any harm to a phone. Should you run into any issues the worst that could happen is that you would need to restore your iPhone which can simply be done through iTunes in a couple minutes.

Jailbreaking is great if you want to be able to install 3rd party applications and customize the iPhone. You can install custom themes (or make your own) and do lots of things you can't do normally (like SSH into your phone and manage it among other things). It's safe and simple. If you're interested in it, give it a try using one of the quick and simple programs like inDependence or the others. If you don't like it, simply restore your iPhone to normal by holding the lock button (one on the top) and Home button for 10 seconds and then connecting it to iTunes. iTunes will tell you that the phone needs to be restored and will restore all your data to it. Make sure you backup all your info on the iPhone before you jailbreak it by syncing with iTunes (although your info shouldn't be lost when you jailbreak there is a chance it could be but iTunes will simply restore it all after the jailbreaking or after you restore it). Have fun.

4. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

ziphone.org FTMFW ! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    can't get any easier than that. Jailbreak, unlock, active with one click. It will even do 1.1.3 & 1.1.4 out of the box.

5. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

forgive my ignorance, but what's the point if you're already on AT&T?

Just the 3rd party apps?

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:werd:

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Yup, 3rd party apps. Allows easier management and customization of the phone too (remote SSH to upload and download files, custom themes, etc).

8. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

koo, thanks for the infos

9. befriending

befriending New Member

restore wouldnt work. i plugged it in to the comp, to the wall, everywhere. it wouldnt power on. itunes wouldnt recognize it. it was odd. i took it to the genius bar and they tried to fix it, but suggested a new phone. i wasnt complaining, they had no clue i jailbroke it so luckily i didnt have to pay for anything.

im not knocking it by any means. i just suggest being careful. or just use it like normal and slowly wait for new apps to be released through apple.

10. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

:werd:

used this on my ipod touch, it was out of the box for about 10 minutes before i jailbroke it...