If a hard drive is dead...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GoldRanger, Jan 5, 2004.

1. GoldRanger

GoldRanger New Member

... is there any way to ressurect it?

Problem

XP froze x3, boots up sometimes, and freezes again.

Now its only recognizing HD 1/2 of the reboots

I pretty sure my HD clicked a few times, which makes me believe its dead

My Question -

I searching around, and found programs and shitz that say they can fix a bad HD

Is this really true, or should i just toss it?

If a program works, give me the title :)

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

while this is usually the sign of a dead HD, it may be something else.

for example, if your power supply is fading and can't supply all of the current that the HD needs during the initial spin up, you will hear the clickies and the HD won't be recognized by the system. try unplugging peripherals like USB devices or cd/dvd drives and see if the problem goes away. if so, change your power supply.

if not, your best bet would be to wait for one time that the HD works, then get as much data as you can off of it and onto some backup media.

most HD retrieval software needs the HD to actually be working (and it will restore data from corrupted partitions.) if your HD hardware doesn't work, you're pretty much out of luck unless you want to pay big bucks for specialized data retrieval.

3. x6ftundx

x6ftundx New Member

If it doesn't boot up try sticking it in the fridge for a few minutes to cool it down. Then try and start it up. If it does then find out who makes it, go online and see if it is under warranty. A lot of the older hard drives have 3 or 5 year warranties.

4. GoldRanger

GoldRanger New Member

Thanks for the info guys

I took it out, tapped the top, put it in on its side, and it seems to work now :rofl:

lets see how long tho :hs:

5. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

also, if it happens again, the cable might be bad. that happened to me once, when i replcaed the ide cable, everything was fine

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

also you may want to replace teh CMOS battery; I've seen where the BIOS won't read the IDE busses correctly because of a bad battery.