IE7 Install not trusted

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, May 7, 2008.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So I decided to upgrade my work comuter from IE6 to IE7. This update was not in the Windows Update menu anymore so I went to microsoft.com and downloaded the installer. When I go to run it I get this message:
    [​IMG]

I went into IE6 and removed Microsft from the Untrusted Publishers list as the link on the bottom of the message suggests. I then restarted the computer and tried again. Same message. So I then installed the cert by clicking the link that says "Microsoft Corporation." Restarted computer and same message... any more ideas?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

:rofl: :uh:

sorry, i have no answers

3. dissonance

And when I installed the cert, I let it do this automatically. After that didn't work I manually installed it everywhere on the list that had the word trusted in it.... damn MS software and issues with MS software...

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

It should still be available via windows update, many people chose to hide it originally. Check under hidden updates to see if it's there.

5. dissonance

Already did. It is no where to be found in there...

Also, the computer is current on all other updates (except SP3, .NET, and hardware)

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Weird... I setup an XP machine and installed IE7 from windows update the other day... You went to windowsupdate.com and looked through the optional updates?

7. dissonance

This is all that's there....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And until just last week I never did any updates. This computer was given to me by IT around November and was up to date with "High Priority" updates at that time.

8. dissonance

Does anyone know if its (IE7) included in SP3?

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

did you try clicking "restore hidden updates" at the very bottom? if someone hid IE7, it won't show up again until you click that.

10. dissonance

Thats what the last screenshot shows... there is nothing in the hidden section

EDIT: Odd, I just noticed that even though the last screenshot is of the "Restore Hidden Updates" section that the box it loads then says "High-priority updates." Can someone else check theirs in that section to make sure it says the same thing?

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

lol. i should just stay out of the windows stuff.

12. Frequency

Frequency New Member

I know there is a way through policies for IE7 to be blocked. Any chance your IT guys could have this setup?

13. dissonance

I have no idea. I know that when I was first hired and using this laptop that it had IE7 loaded on it. They then took it and reloaded everything to be under my name and gave it back with IE6. I want to say that I doubt it is blocked b/c of something IT did because I am able to change/modify anything else on it that I want to.

Where would I look at and what exactly would I be looking for to check?

14. dissonance

Ok, so apparently when I right-click the file there was a button on the bottom that said "Unblock." Wow, what do you know, after clicking this button the previous message doesn't pop up. I hate when its something so simple and stupid....

Anyway, now I have another issue... I am now being told that it is being
    "restricted by your Administrator by policy rule {
    d931c7e5-2af3-4d63-96df-c7fe0ffbd211}" (message a mix b/n what actually pops up and the event viewer.

Looking in the Group Policy tool, under "Windows Settings" > "Security Settings" > "Software Restrictions" I see nothing. It tells me "No Software Restriction Policies Defined." Would I even be able to see any software policies that the IT department would have put on here.. where else would I look.